Internet Company Install Charge

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I haven't done any work for an internet company in a few years. I've been contacted by billiard ex to start doing installations again. They stopped using me a few years ago because they found someone cheaper. I was doing the installations for $250 and the white gloves for $300. This seems like a good deal. I know a few people on here do deliveries for them. Just curious what you charge? I would appreciate a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting prices.

thanks

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I haven't done any work for an internet company in a few years. I've been contacted by billiard ex to start doing installations again. They stopped using me a few years ago because they found someone cheaper. I was doing the installations for $250 and the white gloves for $300. This seems like a good deal. I know a few people on here do deliveries for them. Just curious what you charge? I would appreciate a PM if you don't feel comfortable posting prices.

thanks

I've been doing installs for them for a couple years for the exact same prices plus mileage. 25 mile radius is free and $1 a mile beyond that. They've gotten better, but I have always preferred the white glove installations for them because they went through a while where they had packing issues, and a lot of frame pieces were coming damaged. I much prefer getting the boxes in my posession to inspect BEFORE I drive to the customer's house to set it up. Just a pain in the ass sometimes because you have to schedule a half day to wait on FedEx to deliver the thing to you.

mreightball

Silver Member
I've been doing installs for them for a couple years for the exact same prices plus mileage. 25 mile radius is free and $1 a mile beyond that. They've gotten better, but I have always preferred the white glove installations for them because they went through a while where they had packing issues, and a lot of frame pieces were coming damaged. I much prefer getting the boxes in my posession to inspect BEFORE I drive to the customer's house to set it up. Just a pain in the ass sometimes because you have to schedule a half day to wait on FedEx to deliver the thing to you.

I don't understand why the industry of installers don't come together and have a price that is level across the board between one installer and another. It seems like everyone likes to bid a job less then the next person to get the business. All of the internet companys need the installers. Without them they wouldn't be able to sell tables. Also I don't know about others but we do not have a job for every day of the week 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. If so the price could be lower than what it is. Whats your input on this.
Ron

Club Billiards

Absolute Billiard Service
Silver Member
I don't understand why the industry of installers don't come together and have a price that is level across the board between one installer and another. It seems like everyone likes to bid a job less then the next person to get the business. All of the internet companys need the installers. Without them they wouldn't be able to sell tables. Also I don't know about others but we do not have a job for every day of the week 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. If so the price could be lower than what it is. Whats your input on this.
Ron

For one, no one has been able to unite the entire industry of installers, and never will be able to. You'll always have guys out there that will undercut others to get the work.

There are some acronyms (ABIA, RKC, etc.) working on uniting mechanics and encouraging dealers and distributors to only use qualified mechanics who are a part of some type of organization yet to be established. There's a TON of work involved in making that happen, and then getting everyone on board. And you'll STILL have guy not bound to the guidlines of the organization who will price a job at whatever they want.

You also have to figure in the level of expertise and ability (I charge more to install Simonis cloth than the guy down the street who can't put it on without wrinkles and shadows), regional cost of living differences, quantity of business. You expressed yourself that if you had more quantity, you could afford to charge less. Others take the stance that if they are busier, they can get away with charging more, or have to charge less to get the business in slow times, etc.

You also have to figure in the amount of competition in the area. If there's no one else around for a hundred miles, you can pretty much charge whatever you want. If there's 20 other guys in the book, you might have to compete for price.

There are a lot of factors involved, and we're all in a unique situation, even though we're in the same business. Besides, that's just the way things are. It's kind of like asking why don't Best Buy, Circuit City, HH Gregg, Sears and Wal-Mart all unite to sell the same model TV for the same price. Things would be a whole lot different if price wasn't a factor (and Wal-mart wouldn't exist!) LOL.

I myself am comfortable with other guys in town undercutting. It's a way of communicating my confidence in my ability to my potential customers. When a guy calls me and asks my price, then tells me that Mr. X across town will do it for this much cheaper, will I match that price, I can confidently tell him the reasons why I am more expensive than that guy. There's a reason he's had to lower his prices to get the work. You can get it done cheaper, but you can't get it done any better in this area. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to pay a little extra to be confident that the job will be done RIGHT.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
For one, no one has been able to unite the entire industry of installers, and never will be able to. You'll always have guys out there that will undercut others to get the work.

There are some acronyms (ABIA, RKC, etc.) working on uniting mechanics and encouraging dealers and distributors to only use qualified mechanics who are a part of some type of organization yet to be established. There's a TON of work involved in making that happen, and then getting everyone on board. And you'll STILL have guy not bound to the guidlines of the organization who will price a job at whatever they want.

You also have to figure in the level of expertise and ability (I charge more to install Simonis cloth than the guy down the street who can't put it on without wrinkles and shadows), regional cost of living differences, quantity of business. You expressed yourself that if you had more quantity, you could afford to charge less. Others take the stance that if they are busier, they can get away with charging more, or have to charge less to get the business in slow times, etc.

You also have to figure in the amount of competition in the area. If there's no one else around for a hundred miles, you can pretty much charge whatever you want. If there's 20 other guys in the book, you might have to compete for price.

There are a lot of factors involved, and we're all in a unique situation, even though we're in the same business. Besides, that's just the way things are. It's kind of like asking why don't Best Buy, Circuit City, HH Gregg, Sears and Wal-Mart all unite to sell the same model TV for the same price. Things would be a whole lot different if price wasn't a factor (and Wal-mart wouldn't exist!) LOL.

I myself am comfortable with other guys in town undercutting. It's a way of communicating my confidence in my ability to my potential customers. When a guy calls me and asks my price, then tells me that Mr. X across town will do it for this much cheaper, will I match that price, I can confidently tell him the reasons why I am more expensive than that guy. There's a reason he's had to lower his prices to get the work. You can get it done cheaper, but you can't get it done any better in this area. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to pay a little extra to be confident that the job will be done RIGHT.

-
well said josh'
have a safe new years night, too all
-
rob.m

btoneill

Keeper of the Cheese
Silver Member
There is also this thing known as "collusion"... The feds aren't a big fan of it...

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I want to thank everyone that responded and called me. I have decided not to do business with billiard ex at this time.

BJones02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've done only one. I can't remember which company it was but it was very hard to get payment. If requested by one another time, I would probably turn it down.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
I want to thank everyone that responded and called me. I have decided not to do business with billiard ex at this time.

I decided to except two jobs from billiard ex, I had my friend Julio do the jobs. I called billiard ex today and told them I didn't have time to do their jobs and any more in the near future. I let them know that Julio did the jobs and they should contact the customers and see if he did a good job and then contact him for any other jobs in this area. This is how a friend got me doing jobs for Diamond and I thought it would be a nice way to pass the favor along.

TableTek

Silver Member
undercutting? are you kidding me?

Ron

Hi Ron,
You don't know me and I don't know you. I do know that you recently undercut both myself and another very well known AZ mechanic this week. Just fair warning to others. There are rough prices that several mechanics use since many of our areas overlap. You are an unknown to most of us. Lets meet sometime. If you are a mechanic I have no problem talking specifics with you. I edited this cause I came like more of an ass than usual when I wrote it. You can reach me anytime at 215-622-8899.
Rob
WWW.tabletek.net

Last edited:

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Ron

This was a great idea! Words to live by.......in all aspects of our business.

waynedobbs1

Dobbs Billiard Service
Pride!!

thanks
I'd like to say to them if I were you take there cardboard tables snd sell them in other countries. First they dropped you for cheaper price. Even with there bullshit delivery options your forced to give the customer a "tail light " warranty. Due to there imported tables . We are forced to take every job we can due to overhead etc.Its companies like that that flood the market with product and people that are geared to nothing more than volume. I did installs for them here in Atlanta mold on the slate tons of problems i say walk away with your head held hi!! Unless you need the money lol