Which cue brand has won more tournaments in the history of pool?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Earl, Shane, and Allison have won a lot of tournaments....
..but who else has won tournaments with a Cuetec?

Meucci is n the running...he started talking about how a cue spins before most.

Schon has won a lot of tournaments....but a lot have had Predator shafts on them.

,,,so I think Predator has been the greatest influence since the mid 90s....
...that’s including high level and local tournaments

I think in the history of pool, Brunswick or cues with Brunswick parts get the nod.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The flip side of my argument is most Pro caliber players get their Cue for FREE, or get Endorsement Money to play with a brand. So if some great Pro is playing and winning with say a Predator, ask how much are you getting payed to use that Cue, or was it just a FREEBEE.

One of the best players locally (AZ), who won most of the larger local tourtnments continually played with a McDermott Merry Widow, and LePro Tip for many years.

I would have loved to have his skill, v/s any customer Cue to play with. JMHO

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me thinks...

Meucci, Predator, Schon, Brunswick, etc. All had great players using their cues.

I could be wrong, but it seems like some pros switch cues and especially shafts, depending on the sponsors of tournaments they play in.

How many times has a pro made a name for him self with a certain cue, only to switch to a Predator carbon fiber shaft in some Predator sponsored tournaments. Then later on they are back to their old shaft.

I think Bergman was using a Diveney Kiel Wood shaft in the International 9 Ball Open. Prior to that it was a carbon fiber and prior to that a Diveney Kiel Wood shaft again. I am curious to see what shaft he will be using in the Mosconi Cup.

Filler and a couple others have been back and forth with maple and carbon fiber shafts. I doubt any cue makers have the deep pockets Predator does. Maybe some feel pressured to use a certain shaft for certain events? Ya got me.

As we all know, most of them shoot great with about any shaft.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Neither one of those have won anything in 30, 40 or more years.

Correct, as far as I know. The last time a Balabushka won a tournament, it would have been Jimmy Moore, 1984, the Senior Champions tournament, that was held at the Catskills in New York. That would be 35 years. For the record, Mosconi won the first of these tournaments in Atlantic City in 1982. I would consider those professional tournaments.

Other than those, I don't recall a professional tournament won with either since. Obviously a lot of tournament wins before though. Maybe a Bushka owner has won something since, but I can't think of it.

Cuetec's number would be awfully high. They've been around awhile. And if a shaft replacement constitutes the cue, then Predator is awfully high. Obviously Brunswick's numbers are high if you go back far enough, but nobody would know the number.

All the best,
WW

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Don't be so sure of that. OK.. maybe the Rambow. :)

Don't think many of the top 5-10 custom guys will be making this claim either...

JV

SW? Aranas shoots with one. Some of those Taiwan monsters shoot with SW. Lots of Chinese players as well.
And problem with the pros is they want to get paid for using sticks.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fun thread!

Hmmm...where do we begin?

Schon: Archer won a LOT with a Schon cue. Reid Pierce won the U.S. Open with a Schon. I think Jimmy Wetch played with a Schon as well. Alex Pagulayan won his world championship with a Schon - and although it's been in dispute, I think he was using a normal shaft and not a 314.

JOSS: Nick Varner/Mike Sigel in the 70s/80s. JOSS won a ton of tournaments between those two. I saw a guy in FL run 9 racks with a Joss sneaky pete in a big tournament (he broke with a house cue). He later took 3rd in a US OPEN 9 ball (he had a fancier cue by that point). If he took pool seriously he probably would have been a real champion, but I think preferred cards.

Southwest: Allen Hopkins played with one in the 80s and was considered the best. Of course all of our far east Champions love a Southwest.

Predator: All of the British/Euro champs love Predator, and now many American players.

Falcon: Nick was the first big FALCON player. He switched from JOSS to Falcon, then to Meucci, and then back to Falcon. I remember in one tournament they listed him as sponsored by Falcon, but noted he was playing with his Meucci as he was still adjusting to the Falcon. Jeanette Lee played with them and also Oliver Ortmann I believe.

MEUCCI: Ok...tell me if you remember this, "Because sooner....or later...it's gonna have to be a Meucci!" (This was an ESPN commercial for Meucci cues. In this period, Efren (YES - EFREN -- and he used a Meucci when he beat Earl in that legendary race to 120 or whatever it was), Nick Varner (and he was a big winner with his Meucci), Kim Davenport, Buddy Hall, Tom Kennedy (YES, he was on their AD as well..not sure how long it lasted), King James Rempe, Danny Medina (long-time Meucci player...ran 9 racks in one tournament breaking and playing with one), Tony Ellin, David Howard, Allen Hopkins and many more won a LOT of dough with Meucci cues. I've seen a lot of good players use Meucci's over the years. There used to be an ad in Billiards Digest and half the pro tour was using Meucci cues. Shannon Daulton won the Derby City 9 ball one year in the early 2000s using a Meucci Olympic model. Oh, and our young sharpshooter SHAW put some marks up on the board with a Meucci.

So....if I had to pick the MOST winningest....I'd still say Meucci has an edge over Predator.

(excuse the grammar, I just scribbled this down)

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Cuetec by far. Allison fisher, earl, svb, and now styer and gorst and billy thorpe.
I cant see any other brand beating that record

If we talking major tournaments. If you count regional stuff im guessing predator shafts. And now from all ive heard and read and seen, cuetec cynergy shaft is the front runner on the carbon fiber front. More people sell the revo than keep it. So in the near future you cam add more notches on cuetecs belt.

Different eras have different brands.
It was brunswick, than custom cues, than company cues again.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
first of all in the way past there were more tournaments than now. and as said brunswick was the cue of choice back then.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My bet is Brunswick

Been building cues for (what?) 75 years? and used to sit in racks in EVERY pool hall in the country.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
75 Years? More like over 130.

So its a safe bet that its Brunswick. Plus they supplied the titlist blanks for the Rambows, Bushkas, etc... technically speaking of course.

JV

My bet is Brunswick

Been building cues for (what?) 75 years? and used to sit in racks in EVERY pool hall in the country.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody offer up ye olde house cue?

Every tournament has a winner and there sure as hell gotta be more small tournaments in bars than pro tournaments, every year and for decades so.

Every tournament has a winner.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec by far. Allison fisher, earl, svb, and now styer and gorst and billy thorpe.

I know that Styler and Gorst both are sponsored by Cuetec, and they both play with a CF shaft, so I thought to myself it must be a cuetec cynergy.

But to my shock, yesterday when I looked into it clearly, they seem to be playing with a different CF, I think it might be a revo, I need some people to clarify this to me, because I looked into the ferrule and it doesn't have that short white ferrule, both Styler and Gorst have fully black shaft, that looks just like the revo.

You can see for yourself here in these 2019 matches, ill post links, one for Styler, and the other for Gorst.

It really surprised me, how can you be sponsored by Cuetec, then use Revo shaft in stealth.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_QfexGfhXQ <---- Styler, but here he also have predator badge, so maybe he departure cuetec after the mosconi and joined predator?

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqeEleeGmEo <--- Gorst, shaft is fully black, no ferrule, just like revo, watch it on closeups.