Explain This

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night I was watching a guy play the 10 ball ghost. He loses the first set 7-0. You could tell was getting a little upset by the way he was racking the balls after each loss. He then loses the 2nd set 7-2. Now you can tell tell he is really steaming. So I figure I'm going to see him go off and snap his cue in half or something. Then he falls behind 3-0 in the next set when he misses a very simple shot. He then very calmly racks the balls and after losing that game and being down 4-0 he just softly rolled each ball down the table and racked them again. He loses this game also and now is down 5-0. Then he just smiled as he was getting the balls racked for the next game. He then runs 7 racks in a row to beat the ghost 7-5 and then runs 5 out of the next 8 racks and quits.

Tell me how a guy can only run 2 racks out of 21 games and then turn around and run 12 out of 16? This is a true story I saw this with my own two eyes.

Joe T

So last night I was watching a guy play the 10 ball ghost. He loses the first set 7-0. You could tell was getting a little upset by the way he was racking the balls after each loss. He then loses the 2nd set 7-2. Now you can tell tell he is really steaming. So I figure I'm going to see him go off and snap his cue in half or something. Then he falls behind 3-0 in the next set when he misses a very simple shot. He then very calmly racks the balls and after losing that game and being down 4-0 he just softly rolled each ball down the table and racked them again. He loses this game also and now is down 5-0. Then he just smiled as he was getting the balls racked for the next game. He then runs 7 racks in a row to beat the ghost 7-5 and then runs 5 out of the next 8 racks and quits.

Tell me how a guy can only run 2 racks out of 21 games and then turn around and run 12 out of 16? This is a true story I saw this with my own two eyes.
Sounds very much like a guy that KNEW he could do it but simply wasn't and he stuck it out for the win. Good job by him.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It's fairly easy...

First off, he has the skill to run out...

A lot of people do....

There's different things that can be the problem, but the underlying problem is mental state and how that effects how you play.

If you don't know exactly what you do and focus on when you are running out, it is impossible to duplicate it when you're not.

The hardest thing to do in this game is NOT gaining the skill to be able to run out. It's not even being able to runout consistently, it's figuring out which things to focus on to play your best game at will and all the time.

Jaden

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, he has the skill to run out...

A lot of people do....

There's different things that can be the problem, but the underlying problem is mental state and how that effects how you play.

If you don't know exactly what you do and focus on when you are running out, it is impossible to duplicate it when you're not.

The hardest thing to do in this game is NOT gaining the skill to be able to run out. It's not even being able to runout consistently, it's figuring out which things to focus on to play your best game at will and all the time.

Jaden

Bingo Jaden. The better you get at the game, physically speaking, the more mental the game becomes. We all have had beautiful resourceful run outs. If you do it once logic tells you that you can do it all the time but it's not that simple is it?

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
He was stalling around for you to ask him to play, once he saw that you weren't going to gamble with him he came off the stall?

Just kidding, he finally got out of his own way and relaxed, stopped being negative and started focusing on the "right" things instead of what he was doing wrong? Just guessing since nobody but him knows what or why he did what he did, but Joe Tucker/ Jaden/ Philly have made excellent points.

Neil

2strong4u

Banned
When he wasn't in stroke he let frustration keep him from playing his best.

When he got out of his own way and just performed it was easy. Hardest part of this game is keeping motivated so you can access your highest gear. Most people don't push themselves anywhere near their full potential.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was stalling around for you to ask him to play, once he saw that you weren't going to gamble with him he came off the stall?

Just kidding, he finally got out of his own way and relaxed, stopped being negative and started focusing on the "right" things instead of what he was doing wrong? Just guessing since nobody but him knows what or why he did what he did, but Joe Tucker/ Jaden/ Philly have made excellent points.

Neil

When you figure out how to get out of your own way let me know....PLEASE....I call it stepping on your own d**k. Hah.

Barnabus McDoug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the smile that did it. Down in the third set 5-0, the guy smiles and says to himself, "this is getting ridiculous." He regains his composure and puts up a whoopin. Or maybe he finally noticed you watching and he didn't want to look like a dud.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
When you figure out how to get out of your own way let me know....PLEASE....I call it stepping on your own d**k. Hah.

The thing that works for me is reducing the many decisions and questions that come up as much as possible, down to the simple "hit the ball here at this speed". I recently posted something about the pre-shot routine that was rather long and the goal is to simplify the list to the point where you're only thinking about one thing when you're down on the ball.....hit the ball here at this speed.

Hope this helps, I know it helped me in one particular match beating a very good player after dogging the crap out of many shots and being down 1-7 in the largest event in the United States.

Neil

Last edited:

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some times you just hit a run of form. It happens to all of us. I remember playing a guy when I was 15. He won the first 3 games because of simple errors on my part. I was getting frustrated and angry at how I was playing and ended up losing 12-0. Afterwards he gave me some of the best advice I've ever had. Leave your emotion off the table, good or bad he said. It's amazing how much your concentration improves when you're playing without letting your emotions take over.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is he got his eye in... by that I mean, he started to perceive his alignment accurately. The talent was always there, but when you're not seeing the aim well, you're gonna keep missing the tougher shots and likely getting a little out of line regularly along the way.