any one heard of this guy

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any one heard or know of junior sweatman from cullman al I know at one time he was a purty good player a few years ago he and my dad had a few battles don't remember who came out on top

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Some Previous Threads

Not much info however:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320156

From One Pocket.Org:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplaying
Does anyone remember a bar hustler during the 50 through the 70's name Junior Sweatmon from Cullman,Al that hustled these area's?

Junior was on my top ten most treacherous players of all-time. Played fair on the bar table, and was a notorious Jar hustler. I believe he got busted for it eventually.

Freddie the Beard

Quote:
Artie,Ronnie may have not spoke to him because he might have been a victim of what the Beard described him as being, and might have just got him! That would make pefect since to why he acted the way he did. He's on everyone that really knows him as on the top three list of the most flimflaming carny hustler of all time. He would do anything to get the money. At 75 he still hustles almost everyday at the local poolroom grinding him out a couple of hundred a week,and yes he still can't do anything without trying to move on someone. He sharks the whole time he plays. He's really just been a good drunk hustler because I started beating him when I was about 19,but he did beat players like boston joey for one.He beat him 10 in a row and when he lost the eleventh game he quit.He wasn't a gambler,he was a thief.He always said gambling was for suckers. He was also one that has never chopped the money right in his life. I'm sure cornbread could tell some stories about his business with him also,but he did make enough money in Chicago to support his family here and the other family he had there that his wife here didn't find out about for twenty yrs. We call him the luckiest person in the world to still be alive. Sorry I got off topic but he wanted me to ask if anyone remembered him.

I remember him He use to play in all the bars he was a great bar player. He was around when Mexican Johnny Gorge Walker Jr Henchen. Mexican Ben Johnny Boss THe Bird Boston Joey He was aroud when the bar adtion was very good. I dont remember playing him but he went all over. And Bill Matlock came around after him. And Joe Salazar was a real good bar player too at that time. Bar action was at its peack at that time. And Js Swetman had a good reputation for being a good bar player. Thier were lots of good bar players back then. And I can tell you those bar players would all gamble. Not like today. And you had to make sure you didnt get Jared or stuck up. Thier were a lot of dangerous people aroud thier. And Maybe Ronnie didnt acknowledge him because he beat Ronnie. But its nice to say hello to anyone you havant seen for 40 years. But thats the way it is. And I seen him in Alabama when I was with Frosty. He might no Frosty too. And He probable didnt even no me when I seen him in Alabama. I keep under cover all the time and never used my name. THats why people say the didnt her of me on the road. Will who would no James Gear? And I went everywere with frosty down south. I was aroud the country a lot but nobody new mw because I didnt go to tournaments. And I didnt play in tournaments. And Jack remembers me on the road. Because we went to some of the same spots and we tried to play the same people. But Jr Swetman. WAs a Champion bar player and thats all I realy new about him.

paydus

Registered
Yep. I'm from Cullman, See him all the time. Guy is a living legend. One of the best "hustler's" to ever live. Make a very good living for years on the road.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sweatman told me he and mizarack were friends and one time he brought miz to cullman to play some one he told mez to wait out side a few minutes he went in and borrowed 300 from the guy that miz was going to play and him and miz turned it in to 1000 thought that was a cool story

paydus

Registered
sweatman told me he and mizarack were friends and one time he brought miz to cullman to play some one he told mez to wait out side a few minutes he went in and borrowed 300 from the guy that miz was going to play and him and miz turned it in to 1000 thought that was a cool story

It was a guy Ed Miller. Local whale all the road players wanted to play back I the day.

billf59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my dad played purity good back in the day I remember him talking about Junior I know they played each other a time or two I never followed the game much after I turner 18 then when I got sick and to retire in 92 I started playing some. I met junior a few mounts ago he remembered dad then's when he told me the story I had heard a lot about him and would like to hear more

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much info however:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=320156

From One Pocket.Org:

Quote:
Does anyone remember a bar hustler during the 50 through the 70's name Junior Sweatmon from Cullman,Al that hustled these area's?

Junior was on my top ten most treacherous players of all-time. Played fair on the bar table, and was a notorious Jar hustler. I believe he got busted for it eventually.

Freddie the Beard

Quote:
Artie,Ronnie may have not spoke to him because he might have been a victim of what the Beard described him as being, and might have just got him! That would make pefect since to why he acted the way he did. He's on everyone that really knows him as on the top three list of the most flimflaming carny hustler of all time. He would do anything to get the money. At 75 he still hustles almost everyday at the local poolroom grinding him out a couple of hundred a week,and yes he still can't do anything without trying to move on someone. He sharks the whole time he plays. He's really just been a good drunk hustler because I started beating him when I was about 19,but he did beat players like boston joey for one.He beat him 10 in a row and when he lost the eleventh game he quit.He wasn't a gambler,he was a thief.He always said gambling was for suckers. He was also one that has never chopped the money right in his life. I'm sure cornbread could tell some stories about his business with him also,but he did make enough money in Chicago to support his family here and the other family he had there that his wife here didn't find out about for twenty yrs. We call him the luckiest person in the world to still be alive. Sorry I got off topic but he wanted me to ask if anyone remembered him.

I remember him He use to play in all the bars he was a great bar player. He was around when Mexican Johnny Gorge Walker Jr Henchen. Mexican Ben Johnny Boss THe Bird Boston Joey He was aroud when the bar adtion was very good. I dont remember playing him but he went all over. And Bill Matlock came around after him. And Joe Salazar was a real good bar player too at that time. Bar action was at its peack at that time. And Js Swetman had a good reputation for being a good bar player. Thier were lots of good bar players back then. And I can tell you those bar players would all gamble. Not like today. And you had to make sure you didnt get Jared or stuck up. Thier were a lot of dangerous people aroud thier. And Maybe Ronnie didnt acknowledge him because he beat Ronnie. But its nice to say hello to anyone you havant seen for 40 years. But thats the way it is. And I seen him in Alabama when I was with Frosty. He might no Frosty too. And He probable didnt even no me when I seen him in Alabama. I keep under cover all the time and never used my name. THats why people say the didnt her of me on the road. Will who would no James Gear? And I went everywere with frosty down south. I was aroud the country a lot but nobody new mw because I didnt go to tournaments. And I didnt play in tournaments. And Jack remembers me on the road. Because we went to some of the same spots and we tried to play the same people. But Jr Swetman. WAs a Champion bar player and thats all I realy new about him.

I remember the days of mickeying people here in Columbus, the 60s and 70s were terrible for it , for some of those guys it seemed like it was better than sex.