Good quality instructional videos (production quality + informational)

djroulette

Registered
I have purchased a lot of videos and I have learned a great deal from them (Dr Dave being the most recent), however my largest complaint is fatigue. The room noise and the reverb of recording in a closed room (hollow sound) is very fatiguing. This is a sport that I love (just spent 24 hours this past weekend running through Dr Dave’s drills), but I can only watch about 30 min of video before I start to doze off. This is true of every video with good information that I have watched for free or purchased (not trying to single Dr Dave out).

I’m looking for videos where the instructor wears a mic, ideally close to the mouth, like a Countryman mic (a lot of preachers wear these). Anything other than the camera’s mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have purchased a lot of videos and I have learned a great deal from them (Dr Dave being the most recent), however my largest complaint is fatigue. The room noise and the reverb of recording in a closed room (hollow sound) is very fatiguing. This is a sport that I love (just spent 24 hours this past weekend running through Dr Dave’s drills), but I can only watch about 30 min of video before I start to doze off. This is true of every video with good information that I have watched for free or purchased (not trying to single Dr Dave out).

I’m looking for videos where the instructor wears a mic, ideally close to the mouth, like a Countryman mic (a lot of preachers wear these). Anything other than the camera’s mic.

Mmmmmm... Well, good luck. Not sure that I have ever seen that. At a certain point, the thirst for knowledge needs to outweight the desire to take a nap. If you want it bad enough, you'll stay awake for it.The best players of nearly all sports/games tend to be obsessive/compulsive.

Example: IT certifications. When I am on a certification cycle, it is a mandatory 30+ pages of content to digest, per day. Every day. Until the certification test. It has to be this way because often times these study guides have 800 pages+ of material, that needs to be gotten ALL the way through before the earliest material starts to fade.

Trust me.. There's no way any educational pool video is as boring as the IT certification I have to wade through.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LOL

Of all the things to complain about. And on your 1st post especially.

AZB in 2019 folks.

djroulette

Registered
Mmmmmm... Well, good luck. Not sure that I have ever seen that. At a certain point, the thirst for knowledge needs to outweight the desire to take a nap. If you want it bad enough, you'll stay awake for it.The best players of nearly all sports/games tend to be obsessive/compulsive.

Example: IT certifications. When I am on a certification cycle, it is a mandatory 30+ pages of content to digest, per day. Every day. Until the certification test. It has to be this way because often times these study guides have 800 pages+ of material, that needs to be gotten ALL the way through before the earliest material starts to fade.

Trust me.. There's no way any educational pool video is as boring as the IT certification I have to wade through.

I know the boring aspect, I’m in the A/V field and also required to keep up certs (in addition I also hold the A+ and Networking+). But maybe you’re on to something, maybe I’ll purchase some books and give that a try. The books don’t bore me, currently just finished reading “Agile Principles, Practices, and Patterns in c#” which most people find boring.

djroulette

Registered
LOL

Of all the things to complain about. And on your 1st post especially.

AZB in 2019 folks.

Glad I could make you laugh. I’ve been lurking on the forums for a while (purchased Dr. Dave’s videos because of his contributions), if you can point in the direction of the first time posting guidelines I’d be more than happy to review them and correct the post.

You may have found it to be a ridiculous question, but I didn’t. Good quality production is becoming easier and cheaper to produce, if it doesn’t exist in the pool community than maybe there is a need for someone to assist the instructors. I’ll reach out to Dr Dave and see if he is interested in some audio gear.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the boring aspect, I’m in the A/V field and also required to keep up certs (in addition I also hold the A+ and Networking+).

Glad I could make you laugh. I’ve been lurking on the forums for a while (purchased Dr. Dave’s videos because of his contributions), if you can point in the direction of the first time posting guidelines I’d be more than happy to review them and correct the post.

You may have found it to be a ridiculous question, but I didn’t. Good quality production is becoming easier and cheaper to produce, if it doesn’t exist in the pool community than maybe there is a need for someone to assist the instructors. I’ll reach out to Dr Dave and see if he is interested in some audio gear.

Ohhhhh youre here to offer your services. Silly me. :rolleyes:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Idk, I find plenty of quality vids on you tube. Don't know if they're up to your standards or not. Don't know if your question is legitimate or you're here trying to sell something.

Generally, I'd say you should only watch instructional videos for about a half an hour or less and then go to the table and work on what you just saw.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The production quality in pool instructional videos is usually pretty poor. But who cares, I bought the videos to uncover the secrets of the game. Some of Bert Kinister s videos are priceless and it looks like he made them in the basement with one camera and minimal edits.

djroulette

Registered
Idk, I find plenty of quality vids on you tube. Don't know if they're up to your standards or not. Don't know if your question is legitimate or you're here trying to sell something.

Generally, I'd say you should only watch instructional videos for about a half an hour or less and then go to the table and work on what you just saw.

No not trying to sell anything, just an honest question. I guess my standards are high.

djroulette

Registered
The production quality in pool instructional videos is usually pretty poor. But who cares, I bought the videos to uncover the secrets of the game. Some of Bert Kinister s videos are priceless and it looks like he made them in the basement with one camera and minimal edits.

I agree that the information is valuable. I find myself having to watch the video several times to understand a concept. Then watching several times over just to refresh. I guess I just expected more when purchasing videos.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any recommendations for banking?

Just need some solid simple instructions on 1 rail banks.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor Lowry
Sharivari
Free

Dr. Dave is about as comprehensive as might be found anywhere, but his voice rankles sometimes.

Tor Lowry has an hour or two of good free instruction, more at retail, and his voice is pleasant and conversational.

Newer, and slightly less in depth is Sharivari, but he has a good voice, all free, and I have to laugh every time he says "wideo."

I tried some Joe Tucker, but his vocals are mush.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Speaking of annoying, "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk" is the poster child for annoying. Who cares if you own an iphone, or what is the app's with a clever name, the name that won the office 'name this app' pool, which had a payout of a restaurant gift cert guaranteed to be not quite enough to pay for the meal plus tip. but if it helps you talk...

"Sent from one of my many creaky old windows laptops, with cookie crumbs under the keys, using, just for this post, my middle finger only, and no spell checker."

djroulette

Registered
Speaking of annoying, "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk" is the poster child for annoying. Who cares if you own an iphone, or what is the app's with a clever name, the name that won the office 'name this app' pool, which had a payout of a restaurant gift cert guaranteed to be not quite enough to pay for the meal plus tip. but if it helps you talk...

"Sent from one of my many creaky old windows laptops, with cookie crumbs under the keys, using, just for this post, my middle finger only, and no spell checker."

That is the default message for the app, I never paid any attention to it.

I never thought my question would cause so many people to get irritated.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey, welcome to not just lurking :)

I'm still learning myself, but I get what you're saying about finding it difficult to follow instructional videos. personally, I pick up bits and pieces from different videos online..dr. dave is definitely the man (his website is such a great resource), I like sharivari too, and even tho the video/audio quality isn't the best, I really enjoy seeing old instructional vids of buddy hall, mike sigel and guys like that.

this said, I think I enjoy watching matches more than any other video stuff. you get to see the best players in situations where making the right shot at the right time is critical to success. sometimes the video quality is rough (especially on older vids), but the audio quality of the commentary is often good, and the commentary itself can be very informative and insightful. after watching enough stuff, I've personally found my favorite players, commentators, and tournaments/video producers that I now follow and look to for entertainment, and guidance.

as with most things, there are different ways to learn about pool- video is definitely a good one, reading here on azb or other places on the net, books, watching live, and of course *playing* are all good ways to learn, I think-
enjoy it all, and good luck!!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Have you watched any of my newer stuff (e.g., SAWS, VENT, VEEB)? I used a better camera with a better microphone for capturing the table sounds, and I now use a high-quality desk-top microphone for all of the narrations. Also, all audio is now in stereo (instead of the mono of my older stuff).

Thanks for the feedback,
Dave

djroulette

Registered
Have you watched any of my newer stuff (e.g., SAWS, VENT, VEEB)? I used a better camera with a better microphone for capturing the table sounds, and I now use a high-quality desk-top microphone for all of the narrations. Also, all audio is now in stereo (instead of the mono of my older stuff).

Thanks for the feedback,

Dave

I have not yet, I purchased the Vepp and Veps dvd sets, Ive been going through those. I’ll look at you’re new stuff tomorrow!