digicue told you whats wrong...what did you do specifically to fix it ?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t see anything negative about asking logical questions.

Lou Figueroa

Will you use one if the guy on the next table offers it up? Will you buy one? No. So anything else is negative to the device. But, who cares?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hey naysayers ..are you listening lou ???
this thread is about how did you specifically fix the flaws found with the digicue
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO ABOUT THE MERITS OF THE DEVICE
let me repeat that so the message is clear
this thread HAS NOTHING TO DO ABOUT THE MERITS OF THE DEVICE
go back to the other thread and discuss all you want about the digicues merits or not
please use this thread to discuss what specifically you did to fix your stroke flaws

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a tiresome argument against every attempt to improve fundamentals in our game. "Efren has a pump stroke, Busty swerves, Allen Hopkins only drew the cue back an inch and jerked it forward, they all played better than the beginners working on their fundamentals, the beginners must be wasting their time".

Bullshit. The beginners want to do what they can to steepen their improvement curve and reach the highest level they can. No improvement is automatic, and nothing they do can be *proven* to get them to a higher level than they would have achieved doing something else.

But does smoothness, straightness, and consistency of stroke make it *easier* to improve than jerking and swerving? There's no proof, but what's MORE LIKELY to help the beginner improve, smooth and straight, or jerk and swerve? I won't answer for you, but my intuition tells me improvement will be greater with smooth and straight. Why are you invested in dissuading players from working toward that?

Where have I dissuaded anyone from anything other than by asking logical questions?

Let me say this: it is logical that playing with almost any training aid will help some players. Even if it doesn’t do what it says it’s supposed to do it can help by focusing the player and generating improved introspection. Some aiming systems are like this.

But it is also logical that it will not benefit all players and because a player does not want to invest in a particular approach does not mean they are “afraid.” As a for instance, it makes sense that getting lessons from an instructor will benefit the player. However, over the years I have seen lessons from certain instructors whom I would not recommend to my worst enemy. And I have seen the students of said instructors struggle miserably trying to deploy what the instructor taught them. IOWs in some cases their games end up far worse than they started out.

So sure, it’s likely to help some guys but not all, so advocates should not call out those that are not interested. Lastly it surprises me that with all the science involved with this that there isn’t something, anything, that showed player improvement. Whether that be with higher runs, a bump in a league or FargoRate, or sumthin’. I don’t think it’s fair to make the assumption that it is going to produce great results for everyone.

Lou Figueroa

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
It appears that I am participating in a discussion about a gizmo, responding to other posters, many of whom (to include you) are engaging in the logical fallacy called “begging the question.”

I was not aware that only positive comments from purchasers of said gizmo were allowed.

Lou Figueroa
Fallacy sir is your opinion. Op ask how some have corrected displayed negative results.
OP has the item so not asking if he should purchase the item. You do seem to imply it is a useless product. Unsupported by documented results. Have you tried it, Bluetooth version or is your opinion based on said FALLACY.
I have not read a post implying only those that bought the product and wish to post positive comments only should be allowed.
Nor has anyone stated this is a must have product and will allow players to run racks.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will you use one if the guy on the next table offers it up? Will you buy one? No. So anything else is negative to the device. But, who cares?

If I decline a bite of my dining partner’s meal that is not saying anything negative.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey naysayers ..are you listening lou ???
this thread is about how did you specifically fix the flaws found with the digicue
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO ABOUT THE MERITS OF THE DEVICE
let me repeat that so the message is clear
this thread HAS NOTHING TO DO ABOUT THE MERITS OF THE DEVICE
go back to the other thread and discuss all you want about the digicues merits or not
please use this thread to discuss what specifically you did to fix your stroke flaws

You have proved yourself a cowardly troll before and frankly I will not waste any more time reading your posts.

Lou Figueroa
farewell

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fallacy sir is your opinion. Op ask how some have corrected displayed negative results.
OP has the item so not asking if he should purchase the item. You do seem to imply it is a useless product. Unsupported by documented results. Have you tried it, Bluetooth version or is your opinion based on said FALLACY.
I have not read a post implying only those that bought the product and wish to post positive comments only should be allowed.
Nor has anyone stated this is a must have product and will allow players to run racks.

Sure.

And facts are not facts.

Lou Figueroa

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
True, some may not have qualified instructors/champ players in their areas very often. Also true that they are expensive. Also true that it's hard to get camera on correct angles.

But, once you do get the camera on the correct angle, it's a VERY POWERFUL training tool. Much more powerful than the Digicue ever has been. Again, only if one KNOWS what to look for. If not, well, like I said before "time for an instructor"..... or dont waste the money cause it just say what's off, not how to fix it. It doesn't even show you how, only what....and that what is very limited.

In the software app after a fault is noted you tap on the result and an explanation of what is being measured is explained. I agree would be nice to have clues as how to correct would be better for most. Some may be able to figure it out without.
I had tried a different similar product MD or something. But found it went by so fast I couldn’t determine where anything was happening. Again I’ll note an early version so no negative to be implied.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have proved yourself a cowardly troll before and frankly I will not waste any more time reading your posts.

Lou Figueroa
farewell

all i ask is you read the thread op and comment on the question being asked..
you successfully turned what started out as good advice from people who have used digicue to a discussion of its merits.
you seem to be good at derailing threads
jmho
icbw
oh by the way if you wish to stay out of any thread i start
ITS OK WITH ME......:p

Last edited:

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
all i ask is you read the thread op and comment on the question being asked..
you successfully turned what started out as good advice from people who have used digicue to a discussion of its merits.
you seem to be good at derailing threads
jmho
icbw
oh by the way if you wish to stay out of any thread i start
ITS OK WITH ME......:p

Seems Lou Lou is a perfect name. Pun intended.

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip...

I was not aware that only positive comments from purchasers of said gizmo were allowed.

Lou Figueroa

Everybody knows it's impolite to discuss clothing as the king parades by.

Instead of the OB Digicue Blue I found another magic device for $149 called the “QMD-3 Billiard Stroke Analyzer” (a 2018 upgrade from the 2017 QMD-2). It has more and better analysis tools, I think, than Ol’ Blue.

Review Site: http://billiardproductreviews.com/2018/01/05/qmd3-stroke-trainer/ which reports:
“Multiple strokes can be recorded (using the QMD-3) in a single session and each stroke can be individually selected and played back. A depiction of the cue ball and corresponding strike location show the tip location in relation to the cue ball during the entire stroke. Also interesting is that it will show you where you have a twist in your stroke mechanic. There are three views of the stroke that are able to be played back. Top down, side view and back view. Each gives you a unique perspective on your stroke.”

Since they both appear to use a modded phone chip and an app, expect to see one for $29.99 soon. Oh, wait, the original Digicue is already selling for $29.99, and the Blue is down from $187 to $149.60 and now $134.99, so the handwriting is on the felt.

I would buy one or either of them, probably the QMD-3, but I'm still smarting from a $100+ thingie I bought from a famous instructor/player several years ago (no, not Jeanette Lee’s little aiming-lamp contraption). Mr. Famous could make it sit up and beg and whistle The Battle Hymn of the Republic; I couldn't make a hanging ball with it. At least the quality was good - five years or more later it still works like new after adding a fresh battery. Or, it would work if the famous player dropped by and operated it, instead of me.

My biggest complaints of the Blue, and any electromechanical device for improving physical activity, are:

1. Lack of calibration to a standard. If you’ve ever been near engineering you know how important that is.

2. Lack of proof that some of what it claims to measure actually exist. Like, show me that tip steer exists in a manner that changes the direction the tip moves the cue ball, enough to make me miss, rather than just a bit of left or right stroke ending to a not-perfectly-straight stroke.. (use a super slo mo camera, since the tip-to-cue ball contact is pretty darn short.)

Other Blue measures:
Jab strokes - ask whosis, the guy who runs Billiard Expo, Allen Hopkins? Ask how his jab stroke worked for him, say when he beat Richie Florence 150-1 in straight pool, or when he won the 1977 World 14.1 Tournament.

Finish Duration - yep, that’s important. I think. At least as important as Finesse, Shot Interval, and Backstroke Pause Duration.

So far the Blue seems to define what Mr. Digicue Blue thinks a ‘good’ stroke looks like, not what actual tests of various strokes show makes a hill of beans in pocketing balls, and getting shape to keep pocketing balls.

Maybe, though, it actually defines a “good stroke” only in terms of what current phone chips can measure, which is apparently quite a lot. For example, my two or three year old Motorola Moto X Pure Edition which uses Android 7.0 measures several things: G-Force, Linear Acceleration, Angular Velocity vs. Time (Gyroscope), Roller Coaster (g-force and Angular Velocity and Acceleration), Ruler, Magnetometer (might be good for bar table pool with the magnetic ball?), Compass, GPS, Inclinometer (Azimuth, Pitch, and Roll), Light Meter, Color Detector, Sound Meter, Tone Detector, Audio Oscilloscope, Audio Spectrum Analyzer, Audio Spectrogram, Multi-Record (8 of these at once), Tone Generator, Color Generator, and a Beta of a Stroboscope. So I guess it can tell how seriously loud I am cussing when I miss a ball, if my cheeks turn red (and what shade of red), and how high I am jumping for joy if I actually make three balls in a row.

Probably the best feature of the phone in terms of improving a pool game is the nice video recording feature, though when I get a newer phone I want super slo-mo, or as many frames per second as I can get and not break my piggy bank.

Anyway, having been burned, or at lease singed, spending money trying to “buy a stroke,” I have become older, wiser, and much more wary of claims made by devices, especially those that cost more than the price of a cube of Magic Chalk.

So if anyone wants to flame me for my opinion, be warned - I actually won an 8-ball tournament, once, and before Earl was famous I played on a pool team with a guy who won 2, lost 2 in this year’s DCC Banks, and I came in third in the sixth grade spelling bee.

BTW, here's a pic of my soon-to-be-patented device for stroke training, or learning to keep your head down.

Attachments

• Head Down IMGP8213b.jpg
    Head Down IMGP8213b.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 129

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Everybody knows it's impolite to discuss clothing as the king parades by.

Instead of the OB Digicue Blue I found another magic device for $149 called the “QMD-3 Billiard Stroke Analyzer” (a 2018 upgrade from the 2017 QMD-2). It has more and better analysis tools, I think, than Ol’ Blue.

Review Site: http://billiardproductreviews.com/2018/01/05/qmd3-stroke-trainer/ which reports:
“Multiple strokes can be recorded (using the QMD-3) in a single session and each stroke can be individually selected and played back. A depiction of the cue ball and corresponding strike location show the tip location in relation to the cue ball during the entire stroke. Also interesting is that it will show you where you have a twist in your stroke mechanic. There are three views of the stroke that are able to be played back. Top down, side view and back view. Each gives you a unique perspective on your stroke.”

Since they both appear to use a modded phone chip and an app, expect to see one for $29.99 soon. Oh, wait, the original Digicue is already selling for $29.99, and the Blue is down from $187 to $149.60 and now $134.99, so the handwriting is on the felt.

I would buy one or either of them, probably the QMD-3, but I'm still smarting from a $100+ thingie I bought from a famous instructor/player several years ago (no, not Jeanette Lee’s little aiming-lamp contraption). Mr. Famous could make it sit up and beg and whistle The Battle Hymn of the Republic; I couldn't make a hanging ball with it. At least the quality was good - five years or more later it still works like new after adding a fresh battery. Or, it would work if the famous player dropped by and operated it, instead of me.

My biggest complaints of the Blue, and any electromechanical device for improving physical activity, are:

1. Lack of calibration to a standard. If you’ve ever been near engineering you know how important that is.

2. Lack of proof that some of what it claims to measure actually exist. Like, show me that tip steer exists in a manner that changes the direction the tip moves the cue ball, enough to make me miss, rather than just a bit of left or right stroke ending to a not-perfectly-straight stroke.. (use a super slo mo camera, since the tip-to-cue ball contact is pretty darn short.)

Other Blue measures:
Jab strokes - ask whosis, the guy who runs Billiard Expo, Allen Hopkins? Ask how his jab stroke worked for him, say when he beat Richie Florence 150-1 in straight pool, or when he won the 1977 World 14.1 Tournament.

Finish Duration - yep, that’s important. I think. At least as important as Finesse, Shot Interval, and Backstroke Pause Duration.

So far the Blue seems to define what Mr. Digicue Blue thinks a ‘good’ stroke looks like, not what actual tests of various strokes show makes a hill of beans in pocketing balls, and getting shape to keep pocketing balls.

Maybe, though, it actually defines a “good stroke” only in terms of what current phone chips can measure, which is apparently quite a lot. For example, my two or three year old Motorola Moto X Pure Edition which uses Android 7.0 measures several things: G-Force, Linear Acceleration, Angular Velocity vs. Time (Gyroscope), Roller Coaster (g-force and Angular Velocity and Acceleration), Ruler, Magnetometer (might be good for bar table pool with the magnetic ball?), Compass, GPS, Inclinometer (Azimuth, Pitch, and Roll), Light Meter, Color Detector, Sound Meter, Tone Detector, Audio Oscilloscope, Audio Spectrum Analyzer, Audio Spectrogram, Multi-Record (8 of these at once), Tone Generator, Color Generator, and a Beta of a Stroboscope. So I guess it can tell how seriously loud I am cussing when I miss a ball, if my cheeks turn red (and what shade of red), and how high I am jumping for joy if I actually make three balls in a row.

Probably the best feature of the phone in terms of improving a pool game is the nice video recording feature, though when I get a newer phone I want super slo-mo, or as many frames per second as I can get and not break my piggy bank.

Anyway, having been burned, or at lease singed, spending money trying to “buy a stroke,” I have become older, wiser, and much more wary of claims made by devices, especially those that cost more than the price of a cube of Magic Chalk.

So if anyone wants to flame me for my opinion, be warned - I actually won an 8-ball tournament, once, and before Earl was famous I played on a pool team with a guy who won 2, lost 2 in this year’s DCC Banks, and I came in third in the sixth grade spelling bee.

BTW, here's a pic of my soon-to-be-patented device for stroke training, or learning to keep your head down.

No flame.
I tried the first QMD but could never figure out where in the stroke things were happening. Play back was quick and small. Showed up,down, left right ,twist etc but was based first forward stroke or something if I remember correctly. Not sure. But contained all movement prior to contact with CB. So prestrokes were included.

Also any mention of where CB was hit then or now would be an assumption calculated likely from adress prior to backstroke assuming centered center ball lineup. No camera features. LOL

New web page shows where ball was hit. That’s why I brought it up.

Have not tried the new version so in no way is this meant to imply an opinion negative or positive.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
^^^^^( edit my post was to texdance ) (the post above the one above )
i give up trying to get comments on the merits of the digicue to go to the other thread.....:banghead:
btw texdance
well articulated your view of qmd and digiblue.......:thumbup:
i am impressed with your finish in the spelling bee in sixth grade....:thumbup:
did you train to do it with specially designed flash/digi cards..:grin:

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lol. Some of these comments are nothing more than wasted words, like if I were to give my opinion on Mac's latest operating system, MacOS Mojave, and whether or not I believed upgrading to it would benefit anyone. I don't own a Mac and have never used one. I've always been a Microsoft user, so my opinion on the Mac OS would be abdolutely based on zero experience/knowledge. In other words, pure conjecture.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. Some of these comments are nothing more than wasted words, like if I were to give my opinion on Mac's latest operating system, MacOS Mojave, and whether or not I believed upgrading to it would benefit anyone. I don't own a Mac and have never used one. I've always been a Microsoft user, so my opinion on the Mac OS would be abdolutely based on zero experience/knowledge. In other words, pure conjecture.

Given sufficient information I believe people can make informed decisions about products or services, and whether they’re any good, without having actually tried them.

We all do it all the time through the opinions of friends, neighbors, co-workers, google, TripAdvisor, and other sources of reviews. And that’s why it’s important to have open discussions *here* on all things pool and not limit them to those that will only sing kumbaya in three part harmony.

We all do it, just as you have chosen to use Microsoft instead of Apple.

Lou Figueroa