Cue Tip Replacement At Home

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Long story short but we don’t have anyone close to where I live that does cue tips. I would like to set myself up to be able to do it for myself.

What would I need to do the job properly. Can anyone lend me some advise as to what equipment I need and the best glue to use.

I want to put the Kamui tips on my cues.

Thanks in advance

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The job can be done with as little as an exacto knife, a straight edge (optional), and 80 and 120 grit sandpaper, and a good work table preferably with a wooden top.

Files, dremel tool are bonuses, small lathe is a great improvement.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Loctite Professional super glue.

Blue painters tape. To protect shaft and Ferrell.

Various grits of sand paper. Course to 3300.

Utility knife.

Tip shaper. I use a Willard Dime.

PS I don't do High Dollar custom cues myself. I pay Fort Worth Billiards $15.00 to do it for me. I provide the Tip.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy a cheap cue or get some thin dowels and practice. Develop a technique and learn by experience. Before gluing use blue tape on the ferrule to keep glue off if it. Remove tape as soon as the tip is connected and centered to ferrule.

Last edited:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
A lot depends on how steady your hand is, how good an eye you have, and your budget. I"ve done a few by hand, and not as good as a pro. I just picked up a mini-lathe like (https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORTABLE-L...282473391953?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10) which will help a LOT. There's also a "Williard Tipping Machine" which runs around $450 that a lot of folks like. If you can't afford that stuff .. then personally I think this (https://www.seyberts.com/tip-tools/porper-mushroom-grazer/) is much better than this. (https://www.seyberts.com/tip-tools/porper-cut-rite/). Just take your time and don't rush. Personally I don't care for the Tweeten glue - rather use the Gorilla gel glue. Good luck.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I could not make that ebay thing work for tips, i dont know how anyone can its really not rigid, or i never had a sharp enough razor

this is one im going to try next, i think its korean made, and this website is in france but looks like a winner if you look up the youtube vids on it

https://store.kozoom.com/en/en/ball-teck-orange-3-in-1-tip-replacement-tool.html

ball-teck-tip-cutter-3-in-1-red-thumb.jpg

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I want to go the small Lathe route. I have machinest experience so I don’t think it will be a big issue learning how to use it.

Some Great advice. Thanks everyone. Now to start shopping for some tools.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
If your not going to buy a lathe and using a razor blade, forget the junk gadgets and just use arbor in a drill, buy a foot pedal to plug into the drill, mount the drill in a vice and work the end by hand.

Any thing less than that is junk and I’d personally rather use an exacto knife and a few files over all the jalopy contraptions out there just waiting for tip install dreamers to come.

You could use a bearing in a wooden block with a collet and mount drill in other side.

Buy a drill. And use a hole saw to knock it out. Press for the bearing snug and square. Predrill the wooden block then bolt it down to a board. (Using bolts you could shim it if necessary to get it square and plumb.

Even if you mess up you have a drill.

You buy the junk and you have junk.

A man needs a good electric drill anyway lol. We are only as good as our tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t buy the portable lathe with the roller skate wheels. That’s a good way to damage shafts IMO. Grizzly sells a setup with a bed and a drill setup that works really well and is just as cheap. I’ll post pics of a setup a buddy of mine has. He does professional looking tips with it. Professional Loctite is great glue to use.

Attachments

• 34FE5B9B-E4F1-41BE-A4AB-CC2231786B96.jpeg
    34FE5B9B-E4F1-41BE-A4AB-CC2231786B96.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
hey that looks good thanks

ya that roller skate one was the one i meant, really unstable

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t buy the portable lathe with the roller skate wheels. That’s a good way to damage shafts IMO. Grizzly sells a setup with a bed and a drill setup that works really well and is just as cheap. I’ll post pics of a setup a buddy of mine has. He does professional looking tips with it. Professional Loctite is great glue to use.

Is that the one they sell on eBay? The roller skate wheels!! That one.

Do you have a link to the Lathe that won’t damage my shafts. I’m going to be buying a Lathe this week sometime. Wish it was easy to find in Canada.

If you have a link to the one you recommend please post it. Thank you

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as said, Willard Tipping too. Watch their video, it's very simply, does a first class professional job.
Either pop for a new one or look on AZ etc for good used one.
Also watch Barry Stark's video on replacing tips. Very easy.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
This is an interesting clip showing Marco Fu losing his tip in a big match. Shows why it is important to either replace your own or have absolute trust in the person who replaces your tip.
https://youtu.be/o06w9KzW4_4
I once received a coupon for a Kamui tip for watching a ppv event. It was a requirement that I have it installed by their qualified dealer. So there was no way I would give one of my good shafts with ivory ferrule to an unknown installer. I gave them a disposable shaft. After the instal I hit a few balls and the tip popped off.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I want to go the small Lathe route. I have machinest experience so I don’t think it will be a big issue learning how to use it.

Some Great advice. Thanks everyone. Now to start shopping for some tools.

You will enjoy using a lathe. And to repeat ...practice on dowels or junk cues. Use Lepro or any cheap tips. I use Bob Smith CA glue. Locktite from Home Depot works well also.