I got the call! Southwest Cues!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Just curious was it worth the 12 year wait to you??

Kevin

Better do the math again, Kevin. :thumbup:

OP, like others have said and if money is no object, I'd go all out on the design and have yourself a collectable cue for a lifetime. After waiting that long for it to get underway, I certainly wouldn't go with a simple design.

Maniac

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
South West Cue

After placing my name on the list in 2005, I finally got the call from Laurie to begin designing my cues! I’m over the moon excited. Now I have to figure out what I want. Any suggestions?

When I was at SBE I noticed lots of cues that did not look good with a CF shaft. I recommend getting a butt that will blend well with a black shaft just in case that type of shaft totally takes over billiards.
Congrats!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
After placing my name on the list in 2005, I finally got the call from Laurie to begin designing my cues! I’m over the moon excited. Now I have to figure out what I want. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is to not get one that looks like mine. Other than that, get what you want!

Freddie <~~~ needs a spot

JC

Coos Cues

I find it amazing you have the same phone number you gave her in 2005.

JC

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it amazing you have the same phone number you gave her in 2005.

JC

Same cell phone number for.....well, at least 14 years now. I've never thought about it until now. She did email as well....so same email address as well.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would order three shafts, play with one, and leave two unplayed for whenever you decide to sell. I would not use ivory for any part of the cue. South West has a great reputation for cues built without ivory. It would keep you options open for the future.

Congratulations. Good to see that people still get excited about having a new cue built.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats! I'm on the list but only a few years in at this point so I've got a good wait yet! I never get people who are shocked that people will get on the waiting list. It costs nothing. Zip, zero, nada. I sent an email to Laurie and I was on the list. No skin off my back and in another 10ish years or so my name will come up at some point and I'll have the option to buy a brand new Southwest if I so desire.

Anyway....I'm going purpleheart cue with birdseye points, green veneers and white/green linen wrap. 4 shafts. And matching JPs. Let us know what you decide to get!

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went with cocobolo for the forearm and butt and tulipwood for the points. I also went minimalist just because I like the look of a plain cue, but I understand what others have said for resale value. That wasn't a concern for me as I believe they will all continue to appreciate in value.

By minimalist, I mean no A/B rings and only one veneer. The reason for a single veneer was to maximize the amount of tulipwood in the points.

If I were to ever order another one, I'd probably go with ebony (like the one I used to own) and purple heart.

Enjoy!

Oh here's a pic of both of the the SW's I've owned, I sold the ebony one and still play with the cocobolo/tulipwood one

IMG_5346.jpg