Cue Maker / Ariel Carmeli

sgonzalez34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cadillac....thank you, thank you, thank! Thanks to your post, that Ash Burl/Ebony AC is on the way to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cadillac....thank you, thank you, thank! Thanks to your post, that Ash Burl/Ebony AC is on the way to me.

I'm glad I could help. As said before, you gotta show the pictures when you get that beauty. Look up Ariel Carmelli cues on YouTube and watch the video where he is featured in a section of it :p

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure.. If you're referring to me, ya got me except I never said I wasn't a "fan" of "his" work. His build may be nice. I've heard he builds a solid cue. I'm not sure though since I've only seen a few, held less, and played with none..

What I did say is that he blatantly copied a Bob Manzino original design (Dueling Dragons) without asking or giving Bob credit in public. Something I've heard he's done with other makers work as well.

So you can "lol" all you want but I know Bob ain't laughing.

That said there are those like yourself, in fact too many IMO, who don't care about those things. Shame really. To each their own I guess.

As for the OP's cue, it looks nice and I hope he enjoy's his cue for a long time.

So you talked to Bob about this design in person, and Bob said Ariel stole his design, or is that your interpretation, or did Bob publicly say this???
Did you talk to Ariel too?

No chance the person who the cue was built for asked for a similar design to Bob's dueling dragons?

I am going to have David build me a cue once I get a design I like worked out, there is an inlay design I might ask to be added which I have only seen on a ginacue, if David follows my request, is he stealing Ernie's design? Am I thief?

I also never said you weren't a fan of his work, but you stating he blatantly copied Bob's work and going off on the guy in numerous threads, obviously you must be a huge fan.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
So you talked to Bob about this design in person, and Bob said Ariel stole his design, or is that your interpretation, or did Bob publicly say this???
Did you talk to Ariel too?

Yes I've talked to Bob. As for talking to Ariel, there's no need. My information and thoughts come from the source.

No chance the person who the cue was built for asked for a similar design to Bob's dueling dragons?
IMO It doesn't matter what the customer "asks" for. The cuemaker should build what THEY or thier customer ORIGINALLY designs OR get permission if the design is not theirs AND the designer or maker is still active building cues or even alive IMO.

I am going to have David build me a cue once I get a design I like worked out, there is an inlay design I might ask to be added which I have only seen on a ginacue, if David follows my request, is he stealing Ernie's design? Am I thief?
You, thief? No... But without Ernie's permission, the maker is IMO.

I also never said you weren't a fan of his work, but you stating he blatantly copied Bob's work and going off on the guy in numerous threads, obviously you must be a huge fan.

Sure, you didnt specifically name me but by your "numerous threads" comment in this post, besides the timng of your intial post, you obviousley meant so. LOL... As for being a "fan", of his use of design work by other active makers I'm not, but as a builder of cues in general I have no opinion either way as I've explained why.

Some say imitation is the greatest form of flattery but if you tell that to the one being imitated who's work is supplying the income for their living, you couldn't sell that no matter how good of a salesperson you are.....

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I've talked to Bob. As for talking to Ariel, there's no need. My information and thoughts come from the source.

IMO It doesn't matter what the customer "asks" for. The cuemaker should build what THEY or thier customer ORIGINALLY designs OR get permission if the design is not theirs AND the designer or maker is still active building cues or even alive IMO.

You, thief? No... But without Ernie's permission, the maker is IMO.

Sure, you didnt specifically name me but by your "numerous threads" comment in this post, besides the timng of your intial post, you obviousley meant so. LOL... As for being a "fan", of his use of design work by other active makers I'm not, but as a builder of cues in general I have no opinion either way as I've explained why.

Some say imitation is the greatest form of flattery but if you tell that to the one being imitated who's work is supplying the income for their living, you couldn't sell that no matter how good of a salesperson you are.....
AshamedPoliticalHalcyon-small.gif

ShootPool1967

AzBilliards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ariel Carmeli

If you want a cue that looks fantastic and plays fantastic, go with a Ariel Carmeli. I have a total of six. I shoot with one and five are in my collection. His dealers can also provide further info. There are two Carmeli dealers that I work with if I am not dealing with Carmeli directly.

Tom @ recollectioncues.com
Martin @ superiorcues.com

Also, the picture of the cue that brilliance AzB Silver Member posted within this thread is in my collection.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've known Ariel for a long time and he is a stand up guy as well as a damn good cue maker. He is one of the elite cue makers on the West Coast and his cues command premium prices, comparable to Prewitt and maybe just under Gina and Tad's. Besides making fine looking cues, Carmeli's are known for their playability. He doesn't make cues to sit on the wall. He wants people to play with them and appreciate them for what they were made to do. :thumbup:

Last edited:

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known Ariel for a long time and he is a stand up guy as well as a damn good cue maker. He is one of the elite cue makers on the West Coast and his cues command premium prices, comparable to Prewitt and maybe just under Gina and Tad's. Besides making fine looking cues, Carmelli's are known for their playability. He doesn't make cues to sit on the wall. He wants people to play with them and appreciate them for what they were made to do. :thumbup:

I dont think Ed would appreciate that comparison. A Prewitt cue is distinctive. A Carmeli cue does include styles made distinctive by other cuemakers.
Ariel does make a nice playing cue based on the ones i have had a chance to play with

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I haven't had the energy as yet, to play anywhere near as much as I "normally" ( before the chemo and radiation) do, but to the extent I *have* played with it ( just a bit yesterday, actually ), my Carmeli hits balls SOLID AS A ROCK. I have always gone strictly by "feel", with no other considerations, in judging how a cue hit balls and this cue is "top of the pops", as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't possibly care less as to whether or not the "style" is "begged, borrowed or stolen" from another maker. In my particular case, it's a ( GORGEOUS ) Bushka tribute, but even were it not, and it copied or aped another "style", it would make no difference to me whatsoever. For me, it's the quality of the cue itself and not whether it shares certain aesthetics, "borrowed" or not, with another cue maker's work.

Simply my .02.