After action report on my JB Cases Custom-Element’s Pool Cue Case

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

I promised a follow up report when I came back so here it is. If you missed the first review, it is LINKED. If you missed Karen Barton's GREAT Custom Pool Cue photos, they are linked.

Well I have had my Element’s Pool Cue Case about two weeks, that John Barton, and I collaborated on, then John & his team complete and delivered to me about two weeks ago.

The Element’s Pool Cue Case has been getting used, and the design idea is working out wonderful. When I want to take something out, or put something back in the Cue Case it is easy in, easy out. The DEEP POCKETS were a GREAT IDEA!

Weight is fine as my long walk, when I walk to the Community Pool Room is all of a Mile, & a Third, and honestly if I wanted to lighten up the load a lot, A good diet could take 20 pounds of fat off this OLD PACK MULE (me:wink:), with elimination of Beer, Cheetos, and Hershey Kisses for a month....LOL. Plus most of the time I drive to the Pool Room, but some days I feel like doing the walk.

Sometimes I just have to laugh at the lite, or light weight optional offered in Pool Cue Cases, as honestly most of us only walk from the parking lot to the inside of a Bar, or Pool Room to play. Not like you are on the The Bataan Death March, in the middle of humid summer, with no food, no water for a many miles to walk on a forces march with a bayonet at your back.

I have to give John a lot of credit as I think this project was a tough one, as he knew I wanted something unique. During the planning stages John, and I e-mailed many time. We had a few phone conversations when e-mail communication was not the way to brain storm.

When John, and his Team started the Pool Cue Case, Karen his life partner, and wife sent photos to me as stage of the project were in progress, or completed.

Also John and I communicated more as the Cue Case progressed, we did some final tweaking as the Cue Case was nearing completion. One thing that was tossed around was the Interior color, and the Brown that was chosen to complimented the finished project exterior color. I think the Brown rocks!

I honestly have had nothing but praise for the work of John, and his Team, and I keep saying “TEAM” as John is I think the brain behind everything coming out of his shop, but it is a team effort that does the work.

I have got several PM’s about the Element’s Case, and did promise a further review. One question people asked was how long did it take to build the Finished Pool Cue Case?

Well I will say when work started on my Pool Cue Case, as I understand it, the design, layout of the tooling work, and the actually tooling work, as I understand it took about 40-60 hours from concept, to lay out, to tooling all the leather parts. Than you got the dying of leather, placement of zippers, stitching together components pieces, building of interior, etc. More time. So many production time was 30 days.

I do know that John’s Team works on several Pool Cue Cases at a time, so it is like sort of a assembly line where certain craftsmen do some of the work, and other do other part of the work with John & his wife Karen doing design, planning, production scheduling, quality control, customer relation, problem solving, shipping, quotes, etc.

The one guy on John’s Team that is really special is, the talented Zhen Hai his Master Leather Worker ( pronounced GEN-HI) who was responsible for part of the tooling design, and all of the leather tooling.

I did get one PM from a buy American kind of guy, chastising me for buying a Pool cue Case made in CHINA! My reply to that was I bought my Pool Cue Case from an American. John Barton is an American Citizen, American Military Veteran, working in China for an American Company, so I got that American John, plus he came packaged with 10 + Chinese people (craftsmen) as a bonus.

As I said before, and will say again if any of you forum members want something that is truly unique in a Custom Pool Cue Case, at a fair price. Please consider JB Cases, as he and his team are capable of doing what few others can.

The last thing I will say is John Barton tries real hard to make this customers dream come true. He accomplished what he tried to do

JB Cases, aka John Barton also takes a great pride in producing a “top quality”, product at a very competitive prices. I think he and his team still are like the craftsman of the old days, who wanted nothing leaving their shop before it was as best they could produce. What else could one ask from anyone they do business with?
:wub:

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
Great update Bruce!! I've really enjoyed watching the development of your case...It's obvious the amount of detail and love put into that leather wrapper and its construction :wink:.. Watching and listening to the construction details has been fascinating. Thanks so much for sharing... You've given me a few ideas thru your experience, and for that I thank you...
I cannot wait to get mine started, hopefully soon...as I'm actually anticipating a phone call from China :wink:....
Which brings this question... To those of you slamming NON AMERICAN made goods...
Where did your shoes, fabrics, televisions, and just about every other thing imaginable come from...most likely not here... Don't get me wrong...I'm a very proud Southerner, and love my country, my flag, and all its people(for the most part)...and buy American as much as possible!!! I drive a Jeep and a Vette, but that doesn't stop me from buying Nike's, Sony televisions, etc... So what the heck is wrong with buying a custom, one-off hand built cue case from China....from an American? LOL... All of this is so petty its almost humourous...
Anyways, thanks again for taking us thru the process Bruce...I can't wait to get my custom from John Barton...
Clint

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
can't wait to get my custom from John Barton...
Clint

MidLifeCrisis;, Did you not score a Jay Flower Tribute in a Raffle, and is it not a GREAT CASE! I honestly love John's Jay Flowers Tributes, think they are a "BEST BUY", and this variation he did of his Flowers in a 4 x 8 with a few extra bells and whistles rocked!

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member

MidLifeCrisis;, Did you not score a Jay Flower Tribute in a Raffle, and is it not a GREAT CASE! I honestly love John's Jay Flowers Tributes, think they are a "BEST BUY"

I did, and was so impressed that now I'm having a custom made from John and crew... He has my deposit and all I'm waiting on is a phone call with a bunch of extra digits :wink:... I'm as excited about this case's construction as I've been with my cue purchases. Forget all the hype and slander...The work speaks for itself...

XPLAYHARDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Custom case

Thanks for sharing your experience bruce with the making of your case as i said before its one of the nicest cases i have ever seen. I'm also excited to get my custom case from john in the near future as the tooling has been completed. I look forward to sharing some pictures when it arrives. Again thanks for sharing ..........jeff

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hmm

It's a beautiful case Cowboy. One that I'm sure you will cherish for many years to come.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Niiiiiice !!

Hey Bruce,,,,

Way to go with your new ''Barton '' case,,,

Very elegant and of course the quality and protection are exemplary..

Make no doubt about it, Mr. Barton has Mad Skilz,,!!

I have 2 more Barton's coming with his next shipment, can't wait !!

Enjoy the case pal,,,,,,,,,Alan,,,,

Last edited:

digg

Registered
How long have you been waiting before the case was in progress?
I'm asking because it's been 3 weeks after I got email reply from John..
Maybe he's just too busy...

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Glad it is working out for you. John is really the best or in a group of the best. I have never seen a case which hugs it's cues like a JB. On top of that, John doesn't say things like. . .What you really is what I have made the last 500 customers. He listens, works out the custom details and then executes. If you don't like something, he will make you another before you decide if you really didn't like it or not! Really top notch in all aspects.

Gazelli

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John made me a case earlier this year. I asked for an interior made of table cloth. John wouldn't agree until he had a sample cloth which he could test to make sure it would hold up and be soft enough to not scratch the finish on my cues, when he was satisfied with the material he let me know that he could meet my request and still maintain the quality of interior he promises on all cases.

It took a bit longer to complete the case than I originally thought, about 6 weeks including our interior material discussions, but the finished product is fantastic. John and Karen obviously, and deservedly, take pride in their cases, and I am 100% satisfied with my case. I can and do, without reservation, recommend them to anyone who is considering a custom case.

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Gazelli. I cannot wait to have him build one. I was actually thinking of having a custom made between the Jay Flowers Tribute and another. I wanted to have the inlay diamonds on the pockets done in tournament blue Simonis. Though Im not sure how easy it would be to get. But I know one thing for certain. I'll be as happy as a boy on Christmas with a new bike/red rider bb gun.