Any photos?

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hi,

My name is Ed, and I have been updating cue sport articles on wikipedia for almost two years.

One of the things I have been having issues with is getting hold of images for player bios. Does anyone have any images that they would be happy to release for this purpose? I can easily talk any users through how to do this (upload the image to flickr under "Commercial use & mods allowed" is good enough, or straight to wikimedia commons).

Specifically, any images from world championships, world pool masters/world cup of pool, Euro Tour events, or any player photos.

I have recently (in the last couple days) created bios for the following players who would benefit from an image:

Konrad Juszczyszyn
Han Yu (pool player)
Marharyta Fjafilawa
Radosław Babica
Naoyuki Ōi
As well as tonnes of others

If you have any images that you would be fine with donating, I'd appreciate any help. If you have any fixes for the articles (they do need a good copy edit), let me know. Thank you for your time.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Good job! I think anything that helps promote the game is good!

I have a few pictures of myself hanging out with some Pros, but nothing that captures the essence of what they do that would be useful.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

My name is Ed, and I have been updating cue sport articles on wikipedia for almost two years.

One of the things I have been having issues with is getting hold of images for player bios. Does anyone have any images that they would be happy to release for this purpose? I can easily talk any users through how to do this (upload the image to flickr under "Commercial use & mods allowed" is good enough, or straight to wikimedia commons).

Specifically, any images from world championships, world pool masters/world cup of pool, Euro Tour events, or any player photos.

I have recently (in the last couple days) created bios for the following players who would benefit from an image:

Konrad Juszczyszyn
Han Yu (pool player)
Marharyta Fjafilawa
Radosław Babica
Naoyuki Ōi

If you have any images that you would be fine with donating, I'd appreciate any help. If you have any fixes for the articles (they do need a good copy edit), let me know. Thank you for your time.

Hey, I know you! :-D I'm RailbirdJAM. So glad to see you on AzBilliards.

I love Oliver!

Do you know JP Paramentier? He's great. He might be willing to share if you let him know what this is for, that it is not for personal profit.

Also Rick Schmitz might have a few he'd be willing to share. I think once you tell them what this is for, then they would be more than happy to.

Here's Rich's photo gallery website (Rixx Images): https://www.pbase.com/rixx

I ran into this with sharing the photo for Johh Schmidt, as you know, and had to end up using a cut-out of one of my own, but I would rather have used one with John in action or holding a cue.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Konrad Juszczyszyn
Han Yu (pool player)
Marharyta Fjafilawa
Radosław Babica
Naoyuki Ōi

Also, some of these players are on Facebook (FB) and you may be able to contact them directly and ask. It's worth a shot. [Pun intended] :grin:

I know Naoyuki Oi and Konrad are both on FB.

The Oliver article is excellent. He's one of my faves of all time. I love it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Ortmann

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hey, I know you! :-D I'm RailbirdJAM. So glad to see you on AzBilliards.

I love Oliver!

Do you know JP Paramentier? He's great. He might be willing to share if you let him know what this is for, that it is not for personal profit.

Also Rick Schmitz might have a few he'd be willing to share. I think once you tell them what this is for, then they would be more than happy to.

Here's Rich's photo gallery website (Rixx Images): https://www.pbase.com/rixx

I ran into this with sharing the photo for Johh Schmidt, as you know, and had to end up using a cut-out of one of my own, but I would rather have used one with John in action or holding a cue.
Hi! Yeah, he didn't even have an article til August 2018, and thanks to your edits it's possible he will end up on the main page soon similar to Ortmann, as I've nominated him.

Yeah, it would be great to have a load of player shots, and images of events and stuff, but right now, most players don't have an image at all.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi! Yeah, he didn't even have an article til August 2018, and thanks to your edits it's possible he will end up on the main page soon similar to Ortmann, as I've nominated him.

Yeah, it would be great to have a load of player shots, and images of events and stuff, but right now, most players don't have an image at all.

Lee, we can get them from the players themselves on Facebook. I know we can. It's just a matter of inserting them in the Wiki articles with the right copyright and an usage requirements required by Wikipedia. I don't know how to do it when it is somebody else's photo and not my own. That is the problem I ran into with John's, so I used my own photo.

I know we can get these from the players. JP and Rick are professional photographers, and I'm not sure if they will release them for use in Wikipedia. But both of them are HUGE pool aficionados. I bet they will if we tell them what it's for.

I have a few more people I can approach too. I know some of these players and can contact them directly.

Right now I'm in the middle of a work crunch and can't free up until Congress goes on recess, but after the 4th, I'll be in good shape to do some digging up and sending out requests. :)

Thanks for all that you do on the Cuesports for Wikipedia. You've really added a lot of color to our sport. Bravo to you! We all appreciate it. This is making a record and creating a pool archives and has been needed for many years.

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Yeah, that's kind of the issue. Uploading the files under CC-BY-SA license isn't an issue if you have taken the photo yourself.

However, if it's someone else's photo, they have to do it, or release it under a similar license themselves. IE - We can't do it for them. There seems to be two ways to do it - you can upload the images (awaiting copyright), then get wikicommons to email the owner, and they would need to reply.

Else, you can get the owner to upload to Flickr or commons under the right copyright, which is easier.

Thanks for your kind words, however. There is always lots to do, hundreds (maybe thousands) of pool articles don't exist, and most of the ones that do exist need cleanup.

If you find any articles that are missing specifically, and I'll take a look.

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Women in Red

Just a quick update - I haven't had a great deal of luck getting in touch with the players themselves, however, the article for John Schmidt is likely to be placed on the mainpage between the 15-17 if there are no issues.

An expanded article on David Alcaide is currently on the mainpage.

----

It's also "Women in Red"'s two months pledge for sports articles on females. I've done quite a few, with articles on Gerda Hofstätter, Sylvia Buschhüter, Ina Kaplan, Kristina Grim, Tamara Peeters, Sara Rocha, Pia Filler, Dianna Khodjaeva and Kristina Tkach.

If you have ever wanted to write/expand or create an article on wikipedia, let me know! Simple stub bios are very easy to make, and helps to expand the world of pool worldwide. As there are less than 70 pool bios on wikipedia for females, now is the time to create the ones from the WPBA/Euro Tour that are notable, if anyone has any time.

Thank you.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a quick update - I haven't had a great deal of luck getting in touch with the players themselves, however, the article for John Schmidt is likely to be placed on the mainpage between the 15-17 if there are no issues.

An expanded article on David Alcaide is currently on the mainpage.

----

It's also "Women in Red"'s two months pledge for sports articles on females. I've done quite a few, with articles on Gerda Hofstätter, Sylvia Buschhüter, Ina Kaplan, Kristina Grim, Tamara Peeters, Sara Rocha, Pia Filler, Dianna Khodjaeva and Kristina Tkach.

If you have ever wanted to write/expand or create an article on wikipedia, let me know! Simple stub bios are very easy to make, and helps to expand the world of pool worldwide. As there are less than 70 pool bios on wikipedia for females, now is the time to create the ones from the WPBA/Euro Tour that are notable, if anyone has any time.

Thank you.

I see you've got a good deal of data for the European players.

I have some photos I took of some lady pros, some with Keith McCready because I was traveling with him at the time I took them, but you can use freely with no restrictions on my end.

I will contact some of the male pros for photos too. I've just been so busy with work that I haven't found the time yet.

Attachments

• helena, keith, and monica.JPG
    helena, keith, and monica.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 458
  • Lady Pros at IPT Players Meeting at KOTH Shootout.JPG
    Lady Pros at IPT Players Meeting at KOTH Shootout.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 462
  • kc and km.JPG
    kc and km.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 459
  • Julie Kelly Keith McCready Karen Corr at 2004 Skins.JPG
    Julie Kelly Keith McCready Karen Corr at 2004 Skins.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 458
  • Ewa and Keith at IPT KOTH 2005.JPG
    Ewa and Keith at IPT KOTH 2005.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 476

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ewa shooting at 2006 IPT event in Las Vegas at the Venetian.

Attachments

• Ewa shooting pool.JPG
    Ewa shooting pool.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 472

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennifer Baretta at Super Billiards Expo in, I think, 2004.

Attachments

• 2005VF-JenniferBaretta.JPG
    2005VF-JenniferBaretta.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 486

Lee Vilenski

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Awesome

Jam - These are fantastic. Could you upload to wikicommons? I can't - as I don't own the copyright.

I'll check these players out. Jennifer Barretta for sure doesn't have an english wiki page, and I will make sure she does very soon.

Thanks for your help.