Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Jimmy Caras Anecdote
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
poolmouse
AzB Silver Member
poolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-20-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14-1StraightMan View Post
I heard many stories about Jimmy Caras from my mentor Leroy Kinman..... He, Jimmy, Mosconi & the wives were all good friends. From the Old School stories that were told to me, Jimmy Caras was a beautiful person when playing the game and in Life.
Out of curiosity I searched for that name and found a post that never got a response:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=11661

Drexeline Billiards has the sign from Jimmy Caras' old room, hanging by all kinds of other memorabilia.

Old
  (#17)
poolmouse
AzB Silver Member
poolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond reputepoolmouse has a reputation beyond repute

08-20-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Just a week ago at Steinway Billiards, Darren Appleton won the race to 200 final at the by running 70 and 131.
Amazing game...as was his 200 and out in the semis last year.

Old
  (#18)
14-1StraightMan
High Run 127
14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute

08-21-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmouse View Post
Out of curiosity I searched for that name and found a post that never got a response:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=11661

Drexeline Billiards has the sign from Jimmy Caras' old room, hanging by all kinds of other memorabilia.
I got in touch with that guy and he e-mailed photos of the cue. I told Leroy the whole story & showed him the photos...... Leroy stated that it was not one of his cues. I am thinking that the guy had a reproduction but I am not sure, it's been some time ago.

Old
  (#19)
Rich93
A Small Time Charlie
Rich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond reputeRich93 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

10-19-2014, 05:23 PM

I'm way behind on my AZB and just saw this thread, so I thought I'd contribute my own modest Jimmy Caras story.

It was 1963 or 1964 and a new small room opened at 104th and Western on Chicago's south side. Jimmy Caras gave an exhibition shortly after it opened and I was there. The crowd was pretty small so I was able to stand close to the action and not have some giant blocking the view of short little me. Like Mosconi's exhibitions of those years, first there was a 125 point game with a local sacrificial lamb and then trick shots. I forget who broke but on Jimmy's first opportunity with an open shot he ran 125 and out. He played fast, never in doubt as to what to do. Jimmy then gave his opponent an opportunity to shoot and the poor guy made a ball or two and then missed.

I believe one of Jimmy's trick shots was to shoot a short shot into a corner pocket, drawing the ball three rails and knocking in a ball hanging in the opposite corner pocket. It's hard to believe that shot can be made but I believe he made it. New cloth, polished balls and all, but still ....

From Jimmy's demeanor during the exhibition it was easy to believe that he was a real nice guy.

Name: Rich Klein
Cue: Bobby Hunter
Case: JB Cases
Favorite Poolroom: www.redshoesbilliards.com

Cara Carisma!
Old
  (#20)
rodcar
AzB Silver Member
rodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond reputerodcar has a reputation beyond repute

Cara Carisma! - 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM

Just came across these stories and thought I would tell mine. Mr. Caras arrived at a local bowling alley in Oshkosh, Wi. around 1964 for an exhibition. Myself and about a dozen others stood around the table, no chairs. When Jimmy arrived he broke the balls one handed and went on to run 45 balls using only one hand. He then quite and said, we will now start the exhibition. I'll never forget what a gentleman he was with skills to match. Saw Mosconi a couple times, but Jimmy will always be my favorite.

Old
  (#21)
CNMC
AzB Bronze Member
CNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond reputeCNMC has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the post. An amazing story.

Old
  (#22)
rikdee
AzB Silver Member
rikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond repute

03-25-2020, 01:15 PM

Saw Caras in exhibition at Michigan State University billiard room the winter of 1972. I had with me a brand new Viking cue. Jimmy spied it, compimented the cue, and proceeded to shape the tip, chalked it, and handed it back to me. IIRC, he ran about 55 first try on one the many Anniversaries in the room. I did get an autographed copy of his trick shot booklet he was handing out at the end of the show. Regretfully, the MSU billiard room is long gone.

Old
  (#23)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2020, 06:34 PM

Willie and Jimmy....1962

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JCdJ08_M3Y

I really like their style

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: