"Poolology", Maybe the best $10 ever spent!

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of the funniest things I've ever read!

I remember dating a girl back when I was around 23 years old that hated for me to play pool. "All you do is play pool and party with your band!" she'd say. And she right. She was so jealous of the pool tables that I had to lie whenever I had a game lined up. I'd say I was going to help my brother work on his car, and then run straight to the pool hall. It would be noon on a Saturday. Then Sunday morning she'd wake me up, and I'd still be dressed in the same clothes from the day before. "What's this?" she'd ask, pointing at blue chalk marks on my shirt and that undeniable table grime buildup on the palm and fingertips of my left hand, my bridge hand.

Damn, those were long arguments. And then finally we'd make up, and while I'm holding her and kissing her my mind shifts back to a shot or two from last night, and I wonder if that guy is going to come back and play some more later tonight tomorrow. I give her another kiss and tell myself I'll wash my hands and brush off the chalk next time.

If I had a girlfriend, I do but not here but if she was, I would be very cognizant of which side I sweep in for the kiss and what reaction I would get.

I like how your brain wandered from her to pool but only because I'm on a pool mission but if the day comes where I got to quit, I'll be sure to be a hypocrite and say that was a terrible thing you did.

Yes honey, you're right, pool players are idiots. Is the Bachelor on tonight?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I had a girlfriend, I do but not here but if she was, I would be very cognizant of which side I sweep in for the kiss and what reaction I would get.

I like how your brain wandered from her to pool but only because I'm on a pool mission but if the day comes where I got to quit, I'll be sure to be a hypocrite and say that was a terrible thing you did.

Yes honey, you're right, pool players are idiots. Is the Bachelor on tonight?

Yeah.....back then, between pool and music, that girl didn't stand a chance. I guess I finally straightned up and luckily found a really great woman who gets me. But of course, when she and my daughters sit down to watch The Bachelor, I either go to the pool table or grab a guitar! Lol

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This aiming forum has become stagnant due to the lack of debate. Therefore I am going to take advantage of the no-bashing-aiming-systems rule and say this::wink:

When I came up with the system in Poolology I believed it could be the quickest path to improving overall shot making consistency and helping players develop a better feel for pocketing balls. The book is getting great reviews on Amazon! I appreciate all the support and can't thank everyone enough! :smile:

ballbanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so i bought your ebook tonite. Im a half decent B player but have trouble aiming sometimes, this looks interesting. I'll practice for a couple of weeks and let you know how it is working for me. Just fiddled with it tonite very late morning now lol and i think i'm getting it. But just a quick ? if u can recognize the fractions do u need to know all the other stuff or can u just fire away? I'll check out your YouTube as well. I dont comment on to many things on here but i do always check things out and this caught my interest, so on that i thank you and wish me luck on my journey to an A player.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, so i bought your ebook tonite. Im a half decent B player but have trouble aiming sometimes, this looks interesting. I'll practice for a couple of weeks and let you know how it is working for me. Just fiddled with it tonite very late morning now lol and i think i'm getting it. But just a quick ? if u can recognize the fractions do u need to know all the other stuff or can u just fire away? I'll check out your YouTube as well. I dont comment on to many things on here but i do always check things out and this caught my interest, so on that i thank you and wish me luck on my journey to an A player.

If you can recognize the angles/fractions, by all means fire away. What the material can provide for you is a double-check on certain shots where maybe the angle or appropriate fraction isn't immediately recognized. That's how I use it. Certain shots come up (either left by my opponent or left by myself due to a bad position play) where my confidence seems to run and hide. In the past I'd use my best judgement and either elect to play safe, or I'd go for the shot and more than likely sell out. Now, when facing the same scenario, I get the position value of the ball, check the alignment value, and within seconds know exactly where to aim. I'm a "feel" player, not a system player, and my goal in writing the book was to help others become feel players.

If you've never really aimed for a certain aim point, whether ghost ball, contact point, or whatever...you may find it odd at first. I did. But once I started testing the system out, tweaking the values here and there, etc..., I developed a feel for certain shots that for one reason or another never clicked for me in the past. I hope you can achieve the same results for yourself. Let me know how it goes, and thanks for giving the book a chance.

Brian

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
If you can recognize the angles/fractions, by all means fire away. What the material can provide for you is a double-check on certain shots where maybe the angle or appropriate fraction isn't immediately recognized. That's how I use it. Certain shots come up (either left by my opponent or left by myself due to a bad position play) where my confidence seems to run and hide. In the past I'd use my best judgement and either elect to play safe, or I'd go for the shot and more than likely sell out. Now, when facing the same scenario, I get the position value of the ball, check the alignment value, and within seconds know exactly where to aim.

Sure sounds like a "SYSTEM" to me.

I'm a "feel" player, not a system player, and my goal in writing the book was to help others become feel players.

If you went through the process of calculating the above on a variety of shots, maybe more than realized, you're using a SYSTEM. YOUR SYSTEM. IT'S NOT A BAD THING!

If you've never really aimed for a certain aim point, whether ghost ball, contact point, or whatever...you may find it odd at first. I did. But once I started testing the system out, tweaking the values here and there, etc..., I developed a feel for certain shots that for one reason or another never clicked for me in the past. I hope you can achieve the same results for yourself. Let me know how it goes, and thanks for giving the book a chance.

Brian

I think you've INTERNALIZED certain shots BASED ON THE SYSTEM and immediately recognize them now without calculations each time but the calculations are what got you there to be able to do it.

In your last paragraph of this post you stated, "IF YOU'VE NEVER REALLY AIMED FOR A CERTAIN AIM POINT, WHETHER GHOST BALL, CONTACT POINT, OR WHATEVER...YOU MAY FIND IT ODD AT FIRST. I DID"

That is a system! Nothing to be ashamed about. Always better to be using a system, any system that works for the individual to MAKE BALLS instead of guessing each time with FEEL and MISSING BALLS. Even the occasional ball that loses the game.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you've INTERNALIZED certain shots BASED ON THE SYSTEM and immediately recognize them now without calculations each time but the calculations are what got you there to be able to do it.

In your last paragraph of this post you stated, "IF YOU'VE NEVER REALLY AIMED FOR A CERTAIN AIM POINT, WHETHER GHOST BALL, CONTACT POINT, OR WHATEVER...YOU MAY FIND IT ODD AT FIRST. I DID"

That is a system! Nothing to be ashamed about. Always better to be using a system, any system that works for the individual to MAKE BALLS instead of guessing each time with FEEL and MISSING BALLS. Even the occasional ball that loses the game.

Good points. I like the choice of the word "internalized". That's what I expect a player to get from the material, a programmed brained that works internally based on shot recognition, eventually becoming totally independent of any external "system". Then, when asked "How do you aim?", the player can say, "By feel....I read this little book about fractional ball aiming, studied a couple of diagrams, paid attention to what I was doing, and now...well, I just see the shots."

When we were babies we learned how to walk via the traditional system -- holding onto things, like the arm of a chair or a sofa, or our mother's hand. Eventually we developed a feel for balance and timing, and the system was put away, no longer needed until years later when we'd have to revert back to it on those occasional nights of having too much alcohol. Lol. This is the type of aiming system I wanted to introduce to pool players, a system that develops feel for pocketing balls. And the more developed the feel becomes, the less dependent the player is on the system itself.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Good points. I like the choice of the word "internalized". That's what I expect a player to get from the material, a programmed brained that works internally based on shot recognition, eventually becoming totally independent of any external "system". Then, when asked "How do you aim?", the player can say, "By feel....I read this little book about fractional ball aiming, studied a couple of diagrams, paid attention to what I was doing, and now...well, I just see the shots."

He may say that and can say it. But what difference does it make to just say "I use a fractional aiming method"; "I use a contact point aiming system"; "I use lights or shadows"; "I use 90/90"; "I use CTE"; "I use ball overlaps", etc. Why the need to disavow what is used that got you there in favor of "feel"?

When we were babies we learned how to walk via the traditional system -- holding onto things, like the arm of a chair or a sofa, or our mother's hand. Eventually we developed a feel for balance and timing, and the system was put away, no longer needed until years later when we'd have to revert back to it on those occasional nights of having too much alcohol. Lol. This is the type of aiming system I wanted to introduce to pool players, a system that develops feel for pocketing balls. And the more developed the feel becomes, the less dependent the player is on the system itself.

Aiming in pool or the touch for speed and stroke in pool isn't like walking for someone who learned to walk as a baby. Unless a state of dizziness, drunkenness, or other factor that affects equilibrium takes place, there's no need to think about walking a straight line or where/how you place your feet.

Pool can never be like that even for pro players because everyday is different physically or mentally. Tired vs. well rested and strong. The eyes not focusing as sharply from the beginning of the day to later in the day. The brain being muddled from stress, worry, or agitation. The cue feeling heavy or light compared to what it usually feels like. The stroke being out of sorts hitting the ball harder than usual without a smooth touch when playing well. And the list goes on.

It's NOT like walking because automatic in pool or being in the "zone" is a very fleeting state of being. Too many factors that screw it up. We have to rely on "something" to hold it together. "System" in not a bad word or profanity but seems to be identified as such.

It beats the hell out of "feel" when "feel" is failing miserably.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Aiming in pool or the touch for speed and stroke in pool isn't like walking for someone who learned to walk as a baby. Unless a state of dizziness, drunkenness, or other factor that affects equilibrium takes place, there's no need to think about walking a straight line or where/how you place your feet.

Pool can never be like that even for pro players because everyday is different physically or mentally. Tired vs. well rested and strong. The eyes not focusing as sharply from the beginning of the day to later in the day. The brain being muddled from stress, worry, or agitation. The cue feeling heavy or light compared to what it usually feels like. The stroke being out of sorts hitting the ball harder than usual without a smooth touch when playing well. And the list goes on.

It's NOT like walking because automatic in pool or being in the "zone" is a very fleeting state of being. Too many factors that screw it up. We have to rely on "something" to hold it together. "System" in not a bad word or profanity but seems to be identified as such.

It beats the hell out of "feel" when "feel" is failing miserably.

Pocketing balls can easily be as automatic as walking. I agree with everything else, that stress and other outside influences can affect feel. I have plenty of nights where I find myself over-stroking shots and can't seem to reign in control. This is where the system, or any system you happen to be familiar with, comes in handy. It becomes a chair or a sofa or a helping hand to guide us through the rough spots where we loose our footing. And in no way am I saying "system" is taboo. I'm just saying the brain is capable of a system-free performance mode.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Pocketing balls can easily be as automatic as walking.

Really? How many times have you lost your balance and fallen down over the last year vs. missing a shot in the period of one hour?

I agree with everything else, that stress and other outside influences can affect feel. I have plenty of nights where I find myself over-stroking shots and can't seem to reign in control. This is where the system, or any system you happen to be familiar with, comes in handy. It becomes a chair or a sofa or a helping hand to guide us through the rough spots where we loose our footing. And in no way am I saying "system" is taboo. I'm just saying the brain is capable of a system-free performance mode.

Yes the brain is capable of a system-free performance mode and those times are the sweetest when you think you can never miss a shot again. But they're all too fleeting. If it was the case, we'd ALL be pros. But they also miss shots, sometimes gimmies taken for granted.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes the brain is capable of a system-free performance mode and those times are the sweetest when you think you can never miss a shot again. But they're all too fleeting. If it was the case, we'd ALL be pros. But they also miss shots, sometimes gimmies taken for granted.

Yes, those "gimmies" creep up on most players, even the pros, especially on tighter tables. And this happens with or without the full-time use of a system, be it an aiming system or a kick/bank system. There are just so many variables that can creep into a shot and sabotage it. No system can prevent this. A good pre-shot routine, focus, and a solid frame of mind is much more effective at combating the little things that can potentially screw up a shot.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Yes, those "gimmies" creep up on most players, even the pros, especially on tighter tables. And this happens with or without the full-time use of a system, be it an aiming system or a kick/bank system.

Yes, but probably much more so missed because of not relying on using a system because it is so easy and the player is in the zone.

There are just so many variables that can creep into a shot and sabotage it. No system can prevent this.

I agree 100%. But there is a difference between one player and another who is extremely proficient with a system (any system) vs. one who isn't as knowledgeable or proficient.

A good pre-shot routine, focus, and a solid frame of mind is much more effective at combating the little things that can potentially screw up a shot.

Isn't ALL of what you wrote in the sentence above the factors that go INTO A SYSTEM, including yours?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Isn't ALL of what you wrote in the sentence above the factors that go INTO A SYSTEM, including yours?

Regarding a pre-shot routine, focus, and a good frame of mind....I don't think ALL of this is required in order to successfully use an aiming system, especially mine. These things are required in order to perform any muscle-memory type skill with any proficiency. The purpose of a pre-shot routine is to get the body and mind working together automatically by incorporating repetitive motions and thought processes. Focus is required because you have to pay attention to what you're doing and remain in control regardless of outside influences it internal struggles. A strong frame of mind is needed to honestly assess/evaluate a situation and be confident enough to make a decision based on the assessment. Sure these all contribute to the proficient use of a system, but they don't make the system work any better, not my system anyway. You can have no routine, no focus, no positive mind set, etc...but with good fundamentals and a decent stroke you can use my system and pocket balls easily. But as we all know there's more to pool than simply pocketing balls, and that's where these factors really make a difference.

I've played tournaments where I didn't miss a single ball in 6 hours, only to lose anyway because of bad position play and poorly struck safeties. Whether I used a system on certain shots, or on every shot, really doesn't matter. It was lack of focus, rushing shots, letting other aspects of life occupy my head, and so on....that led to my losses.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Regarding a pre-shot routine, focus, and a good frame of mind....I don't think ALL of this is required in order to successfully use an aiming system, especially mine. These things are required in order to perform any muscle-memory type skill with any proficiency. The purpose of a pre-shot routine is to get the body and mind working together automatically by incorporating repetitive motions and thought processes.

So in essence, isn't a pre-shot routine a system? Each and everyone's personal system? On the other hand, couldn't an aiming alignment system also be the steps for a pre-shot routine?

Focus is required because you have to pay attention to what you're doing and remain in control regardless of outside influences it internal struggles. A strong frame of mind is needed to honestly assess/evaluate a situation and be confident enough to make a decision based on the assessment. Sure these all contribute to the proficient use of a system, but they don't make the system work any better, not my system anyway. You can have no routine, no focus, no positive mind set, etc...but with good fundamentals and a decent stroke you can use my system and pocket balls easily.

Brian, what part of this is not registering on your Brain? Your system helps, assists in CREATING a routine and FOCUS. "Brian" and "Brain" have the same letters with the exception of the positions of the "a" and "I" but they are light years apart the way you're typing out these posts that make little sense.

But as we all know there's more to pool than simply pocketing balls, and that's where these factors really make a difference.

Of course there's more to pool than simply pocketing balls. But it ALL STARTS with pocketing a ball or the rest of it has a player sitting on his butt while the other player is pocketing balls. He may even give less thought to speed, position, and angles than you but be a deadly shooter.

I've played tournaments where I didn't miss a single ball in 6 hours,

Now that has to be a world record. Earl didn't miss a ball in 11 racks but it wasn't over a 6 hour period. That having been said, you beat Earl's record and could have, should have won the Million Dollar Challenge.

only to lose anyway because of bad position play and poorly struck safeties. Whether I used a system on certain shots, or on every shot, really doesn't matter. It was lack of focus, rushing shots, letting other aspects of life occupy my head, and so on....that led to my losses.

I think I already stated the same thing and acknowledged it earlier. Bad position play, poorly struck safeties, rushing shots, lack of focus, letting other aspects of life occupy your head should NEVER have caused a loss if you didn't miss a ball in 6 hours! The other person would have had blisters on his ass from squirming in his chair with no chance to get to the table in 6 hours.

Last edited:

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, those "gimmies" creep up on most players, even the pros, especially on tighter tables. And this happens with or without the full-time use of a system, be it an aiming system or a kick/bank system. There are just so many variables that can creep into a shot and sabotage it. No system can prevent this. A good pre-shot routine, focus, and a solid frame of mind is much more effective at combating the little things that can potentially screw up a shot.

I disagree that mindset is much more effective at combating the little things when the foundation itself is built on what should be focused on, rather than added to.

The human element is the voodoo of pool and I gladly accept this and agree that mindset is paramount. 30 years ago when I knew nothing about pool compared to now, I still noticed something that stood out in my mind since then and stands out even more.

Nick Varner came to town. I never seen a pro or world champion in this case, play live. This was in the day of bucket pocket tables but the owner was a high level player and was part of a old school circle of players who weren't pro, but local legends that every city or state has. The owner could play Nick 9-7 spotted one pocket and Nick had to play good to win, which is what he does....play GOOD.

The owner being a good player, had the house table and a couple other tables near the house table tightened up. They were triple faced. Very tight and very tough by tight standards of today which is more common and I think it's a good thing.

So, me being dumb, ohhhhh I want to see Nick run out on THESE TABLES yeah right.

Yeah right is what I got and a lot more and still didn't realize how insanely good he played till the following year when he visited again. He was number 1 in the world at the time and beat grady Matthews in the finals of the reno open that was televised on espn.

Here's the thing. The second time, nick was warming up and playing on my favorite table which was popular with many because it was a bucket monster. So i was watching nick of course, when his cute young wife came up and informed him that everything was set and ready for his exhibition with Mike massey. Nick nodded and then shot a nine ball down the rail with medium speed the same way you would shoot if your life depended on it and: analyze.........COMPLETE:

FACT: MISSED

I learned a lot from that and even the arguably most technical and sophisticated player ever, has to focus in order to not miss.

However, and this is my point in my own brilliant way that makes this forum section "stagnate" when I stop posting is this answer of what still is more important than focus, even though focus is the needed voodoo because of the human association with the geometric sphere realm and I hope this picture uploads the way I surmise it will but I never uploaded pics before, so here goes.....enjoy and learn'ed'ed:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 135

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok cool, it uploaded and I retain my annoying twist no matter how informative to some who just can't get over percieved presentation requirements. A nice sideways photo that requires a little discomfort to view. I like that price and that's all I ever charge. Too expensive for some but will be considered a fire sale in the future but by that time I'll be reinventing the wheel because I suspect it's been done wrong but I gots this pool thang to settle right now mangggg.

Been hard at it and making tremendous progress and me sending Orcollo back to the islands BROKE has now bumped up to 10% easily.

Don't want to break him, just feel like I owe it to him. He terrifies me and I don't like being scurrrr'd, cuz I had it up to hurrrr yo.

.....off to the tables and take care everyone.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I already stated the same thing and acknowledged it earlier. Bad position play, poorly struck safeties, rushing shots, lack of focus, letting other aspects of life occupy your head should NEVER have caused a loss if you didn't miss a ball in 6 hours! The other person would have had blisters on his ass from squirming in his chair with no chance to get to the table in 6 hours.

Sure, a pre-shot routine can be called a system. Why not. I could count to 7 before every shot, then stroke me cue exactly 11 times, and then raise and lower the pinky finger of my bridge hand while crossing the toes of my right foot if I thought that routine would be a good system for me. Lol. But none of that is going to ensure I'm aiming for the exact aim point needed to pocket the ball.

And yes, you can never miss a shot and still lose. Losing is determined by your screwups/mishaps, which can be hooking yourself, scratching whitey, breaking poorly, etc.... I played around 30 games of one hole this past Saturday and was down 5 games when the place closed. I never missed an open shot, but I sold the farm on a few bad moves. I played a 9ball "king of the hill" tournament a couple of months ago. Played probably 15 games throughout the round, didn't miss a ball. The games I lost were due to mistakes in position, where I'd hook myself or leave no realistic shot and be forced to kick or play safe. It's a winner stays up format, 5 loses and you're out. You screw up once and lose. Then you wait for your turn at the table again. The guy pops the 9 on the snap, and you wait a little longer. Now that one mistake costs two games. I got my final loss that night at the end of a great 4-pack. I broke and ran 3 racks, was shooting the 7 to get to the 9 in the forth rack, and the CB rolled off and scratched in the side. No missed shots at all, but had lost 5 games and was out.

Keep it real.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Sure, a pre-shot routine can be called a system. Why not. I could count to 7 before every shot, then stroke me cue exactly 11 times, and then raise and lower the pinky finger of my bridge hand while crossing the toes of my right foot if I thought that routine would be a good system for me.

Sounds like you have intimate knowledge of the above and did it in certain circumstances. Nobody could possibly made it up on the fly. Nor would anyone be stupid enough to try it and think that it would work as a pre-shot routine.

Lol. But none of that is going to ensure I'm aiming for the exact aim point needed to pocket the ball.

So what gives you a higher percentage chance of AIMING FOR THE EXACT AIM POINT...A TRIED, TESTED, AND TRUE AIMING SYSTEM you've come to trust or firing from the hip through FEEL?

And yes, you can never miss a shot and still lose. Losing is determined by your screwups/mishaps, which can be hooking yourself, scratching whitey, breaking poorly, etc.... I played around 30 games of one hole this past Saturday and was down 5 games when the place closed. I never missed an open shot, but I sold the farm on a few bad moves. I played a 9ball "king of the hill" tournament a couple of months ago. Played probably 15 games throughout the round, didn't miss a ball. The games I lost were due to mistakes in position, where I'd hook myself or leave no realistic shot and be forced to kick or play safe. It's a winner stays up format, 5 loses and you're out. You screw up once and lose. Then you wait for your turn at the table again. The guy pops the 9 on the snap, and you wait a little longer. Now that one mistake costs two games. I got my final loss that night at the end of a great 4-pack. I broke and ran 3 racks, was shooting the 7 to get to the 9 in the forth rack, and the CB rolled off and scratched in the side. No missed shots at all, but had lost 5 games and was out.

Keep it real.

You must be the unluckiest man in the world. Don't waste your money on lottery tickets, football games, horse racing, or any form of gambling. You have NO luck.

Btw, what does your entire story have to do with using an AIMING SYSTEM vs FEEL which is where this all started as the original focus?

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
When I happen to focus on a specific point of aim, a fractional aim point, my body and cue/stroke alignment provide me the guarantee that I'm going to put the CB exactly where I'm aiming. The system only provides an aim point. Everything else, pre-shot routine and stance and alignment, etc....well, that's the players job.

As far as not missing a ball and still losing, the story goes right along with the conversation. No aiming system is going to magically make someone a winner because pocketing balls is only part of what's required to become an A player. I am a B+ player that pockets balls like an A+ player, but plays shapes like a B player. Sometimes I'm on and the shapes work and the balls go and it's a beautiful thing. Oh, and my friends say I'm the luckiest guy they know. I tell them what they consider "luck" is actually an acquired skill.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
When I happen to focus on a specific point of aim, a fractional aim point, my body and cue/stroke alignment provide me the guarantee that I'm going to put the CB exactly where I'm aiming. The system only provides an aim point. Everything else, pre-shot routine and stance and alignment, etc....well, that's the players job.

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

As far as not missing a ball and still losing, the story goes right along with the conversation. No aiming system is going to magically make someone a winner because pocketing balls is only part of what's required to become an A player.

Please quote the posts where all credit to an aiming system is going to make someone a winner. Please.

I am a B+ player that pockets balls like an A+ player, but plays shapes like a B player. Sometimes I'm on and the shapes work and the balls go and it's a beautiful thing. Oh, and my friends say I'm the luckiest guy they know. I tell them what they consider "luck" is actually an acquired skill.

If they say that about you, I'd hate to see how unlucky they are or think they are, especially as A+ ball pocketers.