Would you pay for a pro to commentate your match?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Was reading a pool blog written by a lady I played with in TX, and she mentioned that generally, she turns down commentary on matches unless a pro is commentating, then mentions she won a national event, and can't even list to the match commentary..

So, given that pros in general are struggling a bit... For those of us who have recorded our own matches, or have a few streamed matches floating around out there.... Would you pay a pro a modest sum to sit down and whip out a quick commentary with you for a previously record match?

I could totally see myself doing this with Jeremy Jones if the price was right, as I consider him the current cream of the crop when it comes to pool commentary. Do you think they'd even be interested?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was reading a pool blog written by a lady I played with in TX, and she mentioned that generally, she turns down commentary on matches unless a pro is commentating, then mentions she won a national event, and can't even list to the match commentary..

So, given that pros in general are struggling a bit... For those of us who have recorded our own matches, or have a few streamed matches floating around out there.... Would you pay a pro a modest sum to sit down and whip out a quick commentary with you for a previously record match?

I could totally see myself doing this with Jeremy Jones if the price was right, as I consider him the current cream of the crop when it comes to pool commentary. Do you think they'd even be interested?

I don't see a market for it.

I, for one, would never pay for anybody to commentate a recorded match, after the fact, for any game that I played.

What would be the point?

I could see somebody maybe having a "better" player view and critique what maybe could have been done "differently" or "better", but that's about it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I would have paid for this back when I wore a younger man's clothes from a few, but especially Jeremy Jones, Alex Lely, or Billy Incardona.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have paid for this back when I wore a younger man's clothes from a few, but especially Jeremy Jones, Alex Lely, or Billy Incardona.

I've never worn a younger man's clothes. I've always worn my own. :) :)

Stu, if you need some clothes, let me know.

I've gotten too fat for some of mine.

Then you can wear some from an older man. :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've never worn a younger man's clothes. I've always worn my own. :) :)

Stu, if you need some clothes, let me know.

I've gotten too fat for some of mine.

Then you can wear some from an older man. :)

Thanks for a good laugh! Rest assured, I've outgrown some of my clothes, too.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Karl Boyles and Shannon Dalton together... that would be friggin hilarious having those two vocabularies calling mediocre to terrible pool! I’d pay those two just to have a pod cast... first up Shaw and Strickland, ok Shaw, “when exactly did Earl teach you nine ball?”, go...
��������

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David (Blackjack) Sapolis has done this on Straight Pool videos. Paid or not, I don't know. I think maybe.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Several years back at the U.S. One Pocket Open in Vegas my match was chosen for the TAR table.

I was warming up and saw JJ and Watchez put on headphones in the booth and sit down in front of the mics. After the match (I won) I went up to the booth had a few yuks with JJ and then asked Justin if I could somehow get a download of the match and he says, "Shoot, sorry Lou. We didn't record it."

Off into the ether it had gone. I would have loved to have listened to JJ's commentary.

Lou Figueroa
damnit

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I would never record one of my matches and if I ever got assigned a match on a TV table, I'd prolly forfeit the match. :eek:

So, to answer your question....no.

Maniac (plays that bad :embarrassed2:)

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I would never record one of my matches and if I ever got assigned a match on a TV table, I'd prolly forfeit the match. :eek:

So, to answer your question....no.

Maniac (plays that bad :embarrassed2:)

I feel yah, bruh... Haven't beaten a pro yet, but come close a few times... Played like shit this past DCC, tho...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I feel yah, bruh... Haven't beaten a pro yet, but come close a few times... Played like shit this past DCC, tho...

Keep the faith, Russ. I've seen you shooting and you've got plenty of game. DCC 2020, be there or be square.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think you're kind of mixing together two separate things, evaluation and commentary.

Commentary is for entertaining spectators, because pool can be boring to watch.
If the commentary happens to have some useful info, great, but it's incidental.

But evaluation is different. I wouldn't pay money to entertain spectators,
but I would happily pay for an EVALUATION.

Then the whole mindset is different. The pro is actively focusing on what I do and how I do it,
instead of passively noticing it and making a comment here and there.

They're not wasting any effort on being entertaining, and they're not wasting any time
talking about the other guy. Instead of 90% fluff and 10% educational, it would be 100% educational.

And they're talking straight to me which frees them up to be direct.
They probably won't say to the public "Yeah, Bob's belly keeps getting in the way of his stroke
when he has to stretch and it makes him miss every time, he should be using the bridge"
but they might say it to Bob, if he's asking for it.

That's worth a few bucks, sure.

got-roll-d

Djnjdot@gmail.com
Silver Member
I have already spoken to Jones about this personally at sand castle billiards in Edison a couple years back..and he seemed to be interested (whether he was just humoring me or not) with him taken video sent to him and doing a voice over for a small fee.. never heard if he went any further with it

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure if I would pay for commentary, but I have always wondered what a better player would say about my games.

In fact when I make a good shot, I sometimes say "where is my commentary"??!!

something_pool

Registered
I think you're kind of mixing together two separate things, evaluation and commentary.

Commentary is for entertaining spectators, because pool can be boring to watch.
If the commentary happens to have some useful info, great, but it's incidental.

But evaluation is different. I wouldn't pay money to entertain spectators,
but I would happily pay for an EVALUATION.

Have to disagree with this. The best part about the old Accu-Stats tapes with Billy Incardona, Grady Mathews, Danny D, et al, was listening to their commentary because you actually learned something from it. Their commentary had evaluation, lessons, and tips to help your game. Commentary today has become just talking about whatever -- but ideally it should help teach the viewer about what they're seeing.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Keep the faith, Russ. I've seen you shooting and you've got plenty of game. DCC 2020, be there or be square.

Wait a darn minute here. Russ is a self-described C player...it's even posted in his avatar. :wink:

That makes me an F player. :eek:

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

V-LESSONS....could be a lucrative field for teachers...and very useful for players.
....shoot a video of yourself...ship it to an instructor...get a merciless appraisal....
....only you own the vid