CSI 8 Ball Finals

Right or Wrong to advance Shane

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't speak for anyone else but I don't hate CSI. Just have lost all respect for you with the move you just pulled. Don't flatter yourself that you're so important that I would spend the time and energy to hate you. Not Happening.

Have a very nice day ! :grin-square:

vvvvvvvvvv LOL vvvvvvvvvvvv

This will be the only response for a couple of days.
And to those CSI haters - have a nice day

mmktierney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World nine ball championship 2014. Qatar. Two players added to the final 64..After failing to win in the qualifying rounds, due to two players dropping out AFTER winning those spots. Happens in pool at the college level....no empty slots in the final stage of any multi-stage event...including pool.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI to provide context, I reproduce below on site account at the event by "reporter" banditgrrr
Read it before you vote.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4823623&postcount=64

Having spent several days at the event, seeing what happened, talking with several of the players, overhearing conversations of CSI staff.....I've come to my own conclusions.

1. I'd be extremely surprised if there is a 2nd Annual Invitational. I can just about guarantee that several of the foreign players will not come back next year if invited.

2. When Ko Pin Yi was informed that Shane was taking Ralf's spot, and Ko protested and said he would not play Shane, threatening him with "if you don't play Shane you will not get paid" was completely wrong.

3. Investigating Dennis because they thought he dumped just to screw Shane was ridiculous. Shane complains to CSI about something, they start an investigation. A different player complains about something Shane does and it gets swept under the carpet.

4. Ozzy made the statement to Mike Dechaine that "this is a show, not a tournament." If that is the case, I hope all the players appreciated their appearance money. From my understanding, There was 8k for first, 5k for second. To me, that means it's a tournament. Ozzy can call it whatever he chooses, but I can guarantee you EVERY player that participated considered it a tournament.

5. One of the CSI staff made the comment immediately after the tournament that "we F'd up and should not have put Shane in that position." Well, at least 1 person on the staff has it right.

6. Words directly from Mark's mouth was "we made a decision to put Shane in that spot because the people paying for the stream paid to watch matches and we're not going to have a forfeit." Based on the several threads here, I believe the people he thought he was trying to make happy are the people that are most dissatisfied with his decision.

All in all, I believe the BCA Nationals was a success and the amateur portion of the event was run very smoothly, notwithstanding time glitches which caused several singles players to forfeit due to last minute changes. On the other hand, the invitational event was a cluster F. There's not much they can say in an "official statement" that will change the minds of most on here, including the people that support their PPV.

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI to provide context, I reproduce below on site account at the event by "reporter" banditgrrr
Read it before you vote.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4823623&postcount=64

#3 is quite disturbing if it was actually communicated in that tone. I will verify that with the Taiwanese guys.

EDIT: Confirmed with the Taiwanese rep and he said that it did in fact happen. Also other players from the tournament seemed to be cheering for Ko in the finals because of this.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#3 is quite disturbing if it was actually communicated in that tone. I will verify that with the Taiwanese guys.

EDIT: Confirmed with the Taiwanese rep and he said that it did in fact happen. Also other players from the tournament seemed to be cheering for Ko in the finals because of this.

Thanks for confirmation. No wonder I heard loud cheering and applause when Ko played Shane . Usually it is quieter. Awesome that the players come out in support of what is Ko :grin:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say it was ok. If this poll would have said....."if you were a pay per view subscriber, would you demand your money back because you were screwed out of a semi final match?".....what would your vote have been in that scenario ?

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for confirmation. No wonder I heard loud cheering and applause when Ko played Shane . Usually it is quieter. Awesome that the players come out in support of what is Ko :grin:

I believe Shane himself also showed "extra signs" of sportsmanship during and after the finals match as well.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say it was ok. If this poll would have said....."if you were a pay per view subscriber, would you demand your money back because you were screwed out of a semi final match?".....what would your vote have been in that scenario ?

Answer is NO for me.
Because
1) it is peanuts since only 1 match out of 5 matches 20%. Daily PPV $15 x20%=$3
Only $3
2) chances of getting refund is almost zero anyway so not worth time asking for refund
So really if CSI looked at it their concerns about subscribers asking for refund is exagerrated. Sure there may be some crazy nuts who want refund of $3 but that is exception rather than rule. Anyway only something like few hundred subscribers so CSI need not worry cos they will not have an OccupyCSI protest by few million people LOLOLOL :grin-square:

Having said that, what CSI could have done is do a filler challenge match to replace that semifinal match. Just like they do on TV-programming

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spartan -- Just wanted to say thanks for all work doing the updates every day.
To bad the tournament had to end so unfairly for big Ko, that was just wrong.

Thanks again !!! :smile:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I'm surprised about your vote.

This mess is on Ralf. He's a professional and should plan his travels better.

To answer your question it's clear that Ko would be champion. But if he played Ko in the semis that would be a forfeit after the final 4 bracket started. I see a clear distinction between the round robin and the final 4 bracket.

Of all the posts the thing I wonder about is what would happen if Ralf beat Ko then left before playing young Ko in the final. What place money did he get?" This was uglyyyy

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spartan -- Just wanted to say thanks for all work doing the updates every day.
To bad the tournament had to end so unfairly for big Ko, that was just wrong.

Thanks again !!! :smile:

You are welcome itsfroze
Keep of the good fight for truth fairness :thumbup:

vvsels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bingo!
People seem to be stuck on double elimination and byes..... This was a completely different format. There are no byes with this style of tournament.
Chuck

It would have been fair if they had DQed Ralf and not paid him money for finishing 4th (or whatever). You cannot pay Ralf the money and then promote 2nd place finisher of the group as the qualifier.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
I'm surprised about your vote.

This mess is on Ralf. He's a professional and should plan his travels better.

To answer your question it's clear that Ko would be champion. But if he played Ko in the semis that would be a forfeit after the final 4 bracket started. I see a clear distinction between the round robin and the final 4 bracket.

I don't, I think what Mark G. did was some sucker shit. SVB lost anyway but got his cash. Only true idiots in this are the consumers, I just don't like people who let money dictate over their morals. There was a clear right thing to do. That's not a worthwhile trade. Mark is too bright to be that dumb.

WiredSpace

WiredSpace
That was 1950 when Fifa invited Portugal and France after they were eliminated and neither one of them went. Poor example.

Poor comparison? Maybe. Poor example? I guess that's a matter of perspective. After reading about the 1950 FIFA situation, the decisions I found to be honorable are what led you to call it a "poor example." Neither one of them went!

People would rather pass judgment than accept the truth. This mentality breeds contempt and misdirection. “Shane Haters” people call 'em. People don’t actually hate Shane Van Boening! He's simply the unlucky poster child (shouldering a history of self-important American pool players) for the world to scowl at, with contempt, for representing a“traditional” mentality of entitlement. This “brand” is perceived abroad as the epitome of why Americans can’t cut it internationally. Unfortunately, because Shane is America’s #1, he carries that flag on his back whether he likes it or not. The world already perceives Americans as spoiled, self-important and self-entitled. Therefore the last thing pool in America needed was for CSI to give their poster-boy for pool an undeserved second chance. It is also unfortunate that through Shane’s groomed perspective he wasn't able to identify with those who considered CSI's decisions unjust. He had an opportunity to improve America's image by accepting no more than his performance earned him. Instead, CSI’s decision(s) reinforced Shane’s weaknesses for international competition in the long run. The fans want to see a true sportsman employ a bit of personal responsibility in situations like these. The fans want a forward-thinking sportsman to recognize injustices and refused to play out of integrity, for the betterment of the game and his legacy. It is perceived that Shane accepted CSI's decisions and continued to compete when he didn’t deserve to. Therefore CSI’s decisions, along with Shane’s acceptance of them, validated an ongoing international perception of the American pool player.

Right or wrong, Ralph Souquet’s decisions were easy to make. American pool is hardly relevant on a global scale. Ralph’s actions simply prove how insignificant American pool has become to the world. Unfortunately people condemn him before turning the spotlight inward where it belongs.

Bottom line: American pool has a long way to go if it wants to be taken seriously by the “Ralph Souquet’s” of the world.

Jeff L.

Last edited: