Should Your Dominant Eye Be Your Close Up Eye?

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I do the standard tests for eye dominance, I seem to have only a slight preference for my right eye. When I met you, I think I aligned the cue slightly to the right of my nose (on the right-eye side). I remember you suggesting I shift my head to the right a little for shots to the right and to the left a little for shots to the left. As I remember, your DVD also suggests this.

Over the last couple of years, after doing various drills (e.g., the vision center drill) and playing with my head position, I've found that I am most consistent and accurate on all shots (straight-ins, and cuts to the left or right) when my head is centered perfectly over the cue with my face square and eyes level. I know this is not the best position for everybody, but it seems to work the best for me. In other words, my "vision center" happens to be exactly between my eyes, even though I am slightly right-eye dominant. But not everybody's "vision center" is exactly between the eyes; although, many people do seem to prefer aligning the cue directly beneath, or even touching, the center of their chin, on all shots.

Here's a quote from the Wikipedia ocular dominance page:
Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant and one-third left-eye dominant;[1][4][5][6] however in a small portion of the population neither eye is dominant. Dominance does appear to change depending upon direction of gaze[2][7] due to image size changes on the retinas.[8] There also appears to be a higher prevalence of left-eye dominance in those with Williams–Beuren syndrome,[9] and possibly in migraine sufferers as well.[10] Eye dominance has been categorized as "weak" or "strong";[11]​

The page cites several scientific studies on the topic, indicated by the linked references numbers in brackets.

Now, what you mean by "dominant eye" might be different from what the scientific community means by "dominant eye."

How do you define "dominant eye," and where do you think this eye should be placed relative to the cue (or line of the shot) for straight-in shots, cuts to the right, and cuts to the left?

Again, how do you define "correct position?"

I agree with you that not enough emphasis is placed on making sure one's head is in the best position to accurately and consistently visualize the line of the shot. I think finding one's "vision center" is as important as any other fundamental of pool.

Here is my statement on the Perfect Aim section on my website:
Perfect Aim is a method of sighting recommended by Gene Albrecht. It is about getting the eyes in the right place for different types of shots.​
I think that is an accurate description, based on my understanding. I've also mentioned your system in my BD article dealing with sighting:
Aim, Align, Sight - Part III: Sighting” (Billiards Digest, August, 2011)​

But it sounds like you are referring to the quote from PJ:
[In Gene's Perfect Aim DVD, he suggests] that we should sight all pool shots by aligning the “inside” edge of the CB with the place on the OB where it should overlap for the cut angle we want, and that we should position the eye nearest that side of the CB directly over this line to get the truest picture of it.​

Again, based on what I understood from your DVD, PJ's description sounds reasonable.

I would be happy to add a quote from you if you provide a clear, concise, and meaningful description. For example, I think it would be helpful if you define "dominant eye" and "correct position." It seems like both concepts are critical aspects of "Perfect Aim." I'll also watch your DVD again to see if I or PJ have any misunderstandings concerning what you presented.

Gene, I applaud you for helping to bring awareness to the importance of consistent and purposeful sighting. This is an extremely important fundamental of pool.

Regards,
Dave

Hi there Dave,

First, that wikipedia is all wet from what I've seen. Maybe the person that decided that some people don't have a dominant eye should have tried to find 2,000 before he made his decision on that.

Second, your new personal description on here to me is so far off it is obvious that you don't have a clue as to what Perfect Aim is all about. You don't move your head back and forth for different shots.

I've had this happen before when someone sits in on a lesson. When I was showing Dave in Colorado, he was getting to see one step at a time how it works. You never had the chance for this being on the side. Had I known who you were I would have been happy to show you right from the beginning so you really understood Perfect Aim. And not everyone can learn this from the video. That is why I offer a phone lesson to everyone that has purchased the video. To make sure they understand it. And get their moneys worth.

Third, PJ was just trying to trash Perfect Aim. He got a copy of it from a friend. He was basically saying it's only this and only that. Your quote of Perfect Aim was directly from his trashing post. He really thought he was exposing something that was wrong and couldn't help anyone.

Forth, I asked you a year ago to get rid of that because it isn't even close to being right. Now you just want to add my description to what already is totally wrong. I don't get it? Does this make sense.

Last week i had a player call me because he wasn't happy with his testimonial on my website. He said it wasn't what he said. I didn't question it, I just took it off. I don't want any misinformation on my site at all. Why would you want it on yours, especially when you were informed right from the horses mouth that it is wrong. Myself.

Have a greeat day geno. Just take PJ's thing off there. it's terribly wrong.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite so........

The original poster has monovision correction: one eye corrected for distance, the other for near vision.

The question of eye dominance for him is moot for the purposes of pool. He is essentially a one-eyed player (not necessarily bad) with poor depth perception (probably not good). Eye dominance has been forced by the type of correction.

Unless you have a cross dominance or shifting dominance issue, I would think you would be better off with binocular distance correction for pool. If you wish to continue with "monovision", the eye corrected for distance should be the one directed down the long axis of the cue.

If he is truely a one eyed player then this setup will work for him. But if he closes an eye when he's cutting balls to the right or to the left and finds the right aims to the right and the left to the left, he'll have to get the other eye fixed to see the shots well.

If he is 2 eyed like most of us he cannot just dicide to shoot with one eye. the other eye will still try to do it's job when he cuts the ball that way.

This probably sound more confusing than anything. But once a person understands it, it's Perfectly clear.