How To Fix The Mosconi Cup USA Team Points Race

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Maybe next year Matchroom will get it right. What did they do wrong this year:

Having multiple point events on the same weekend = FAIL

Having events on bar tables and big tables, when the MC is waged on a big table = FAIL

Having events listed with different point totals = FAIL

Having events be 9 ball, 10 ball, 8 ball = FAIL

Having events that are 1000s of miles away overseas that are listed for points for US players to compete in = FAIL

Having listed events change dates or venues = FAIL

Having events that are advertised to be a certain point value, then not promoted properly so they lower the points a player can earn after they don't receive the expected attendance = FAIL

Here's an idea - which I said before - have the US player compete in 6 big table 9 BALL events a year. All with the same rules.
One every 6 weeks or so between January and October

1. TS 1
  2. TS 2
  3. An event at Hard Times or some other California room - minimum 15k added
  4. An event at High Pockets in Memphis - minimum 15K added
  5. The Texas event - minimum 15k added
  6. US Open

That's it. Memphis, California or Texas don't want to host a 15K added event, I'm sure you could find someone who would. You could even get a behind the scenes bidding war and get the room/event that puts up the most money be listed as a qualifying event. And it has to be ADDED money (that's why the SBE for example is not in my listing of events) -- not added money that is basically using green fees to create ADDED money.

This way everyone knows where to go and when, way in advance, competes on a big table, earn your spot on a big table and ALL events are worth the same amount of points.

Top 5 get in. No captain picks.

And basically, Matchroom creates a Pro tour in the US

This year, a player would have to spend $15K - $25K just in expenses (standard expenses such as airfare, hotel) just to try to qualify to be on the Mosconi Cup. That is, to be blunt, ridiculous for the American pool player to be expected to out lay. 6 tournaments, it would cost a player approx. $6K total or less to try to make the team. Much more reasonable. And all the other factors listed above make it that much more reasonable to have a FAIR shot to make the team.

Barry Hearn or Luke Riches -- this info was free only cause there are American pool players I care about and what is being done to them is simply wrong. Want some more ideas, I'll send you my resume and you can hire me.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issues you list in the beginning as FAILs are just responses to the fact that there is no pro tour. Your "solution" to create a pro tour is just hand-waving. OF COURSE the existence of a pro tour would solve the problem. But half of your events are made up, and try to get Turning Stone to change their break/rack rules for consistency with Matchroom.

miracle.jpg

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
I'm gonna guess TS would change their rules if it meant being a MC sanctioned event or not. Or two other events would be created and he would have further competition to the attendance of his event (we just saw what competition does to his attendance and quality of field). Call it a business test.

No one has had a pro tour since IPT, before that Camel. If this helps create a pro tour, that is an added benefit but you don't have to put the horse in front of the cart for this to work.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Steve,

Sorry to disagree. Mike Zuglan has held TS events with Mosconi Cup points in the past. There is no outside force able to make Mike change his format. No rack tools and gimmicks. No seeding. Nothing that would change the basic Joss Northeast 9 Ball Tour format. He's been so successful in the past. Why change to placate outside interests?

Lyn

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve,

Sorry to disagree. Mike Zuglan has held TS events with Mosconi Cup points in the past. There is no outside force able to make Mike change his format. No rack tools and gimmicks. No seeding. Nothing that would change the basic Joss Northeast 9 Ball Tour format. He's been so successful in the past. Why change to placate outside interests?

Lyn

Sticking to your guns because, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" is one thing.

But if making a few changes could possibly help grow the sport, then I think it would be selfish not to do so. And let's be honest, if TS suddenly had template racks and allowed jump cues. The field would still fill up and the best player over that 3 day period would be crowned the champion.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a number of issues with the OP's list of "fails", but the most significant is trying to ignore what happens in major events overseas. If SVB wins the world 9b (or places second) in the toughest event in the world, he gets no points??