Pool Cards by Astrid Lenox

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
I have a set of pool cards (like baseball cards) that are hand drawn by a lady named Astrid Lenox that I bought about 15 years ago. There are 3 or 4 groupings of cards. One had current players, one had older players, and one had celebrities that had pool ties. I have never seen or heard mention of them anywhere else. I was curious who else has a set, and of anyone knows anything about Astrid.

Mike

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Templeton said:
I have a set of pool cards (like baseball cards) that are hand drawn by a lady named Astrid Lenox that I bought about 15 years ago. There are 3 or 4 groupings of cards. One had current players, one had older players, and one had celebrities that had pool ties. I have never seen or heard mention of them anywhere else. I was curious who else has a set, and of anyone knows anything about Astrid.

Mike

I have a few cards. I bought a few packs, but don't have anywhere near a full set. Astrid Lenox is, I think, the married name for Astrid Coil. Astrid was on her way to becoming a pro player when she married. I THINK her husband died in an accident or of natural causes soon after their marriage. I think she was from the NYC or NJ area. I saw/met her at at least a couple of womens' tournaments in Binghamton, NY. When I first met her, she was about 17, with glasses and long straight hair, with her father in tow. The next time I saw her, about a year later, contact lenses, great hair do, no parent along. She looked great!
She may have stopped playng after her husband died, I can't remember. Anyway, she was a real nice girl, who loved pool. This is the first I've heard of her in an LONG time. And I think the cards are older than 15 years, it's been at LEAST 20 years since I've seen her.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
Mike Templeton said:

Mike

Mike,
I will give you $17,000 for the set. Or I will trade my 2003 set which features a couple of rare cards. Some of the highlights of the set include a card of Scotty Townsend pitching coins, a card that has Corey Deuel with a beer in his hand (error card, actual card depicts bottled water), and a card showing Cliff Joyner taking a dump (literally). The most valuable card in the set is a card with a game used piece of Tony Watson's stick before he sold it to play a high stakes set. All in all, I would say it's easily the best set I've ever seen. If you don't want to trade I will be listing it on Ebay shortly.

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
Pushout said:
I have a few cards. I bought a few packs, but don't have anywhere near a full set. Astrid Lenox is, I think, the married name for Astrid Coil. Astrid was on her way to becoming a pro player when she married. I THINK her husband died in an accident or of natural causes soon after their marriage. I think she was from the NYC or NJ area. I saw/met her at at least a couple of womens' tournaments in Binghamton, NY. When I first met her, she was about 17, with glasses and long straight hair, with her father in tow. The next time I saw her, about a year later, contact lenses, great hair do, no parent along. She looked great!
She may have stopped playng after her husband died, I can't remember. Anyway, she was a real nice girl, who loved pool. This is the first I've heard of her in an LONG time. And I think the cards are older than 15 years, it's been at LEAST 20 years since I've seen her.
I thought it was closer to 20 years, but I didn't want to exaggerate. I believe it is is the same person. She sketched a few cards of herself, and she had glasses and long, straight hair. Since I have a bit of hippie in me, I liked the look. I googled her, and found that an "Astrid Lenox" authored a book on poisonous plants for hikers. I couldn't find anything on the billiard cards. Thanks.

Mike

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
corvette1340 said:
Mike,
I will give you $17,000 for the set. Or I will trade my 2003 set which features a couple of rare cards. Some of the highlights of the set include a card of Scotty Townsend pitching coins, a card that has Corey Deuel with a beer in his hand (error card, actual card depicts bottled water), and a card showing Cliff Joyner taking a dump (literally). The most valuable card in the set is a card with a game used piece of Tony Watson's stick before he sold it to play a high stakes set. All in all, I would say it's easily the best set I've ever seen. If you don't want to trade I will be listing it on Ebay shortly.
Corvette,

If I could trade it for your abilities with the ladies, or your ability to hold alcohol, I would definitely do that. I might even consider trading for your 'vette.

Talk to you later.

chrisklenox

Registered
Astrid Lenox

Well I am surprised to have stumbled on this... Astrid Lenox was my mother. I say was because she passed away in 1993. Her husband Keith (my dad) passed away in 1990. I do think she stopped playing around 1985 which is around when I was born. Sorry about that guys! She did play at home though. Her dad (my grandfather) is Jesse Coil who taught her and later me how to play. I am not on her level if you were going to ask.

So the pool cards. They were done in 1988 so that makes 21 years. I also have a pretty good number of them in complete sets ( I believe she did three different sets) I will look and see what I have. I am willing to sell them since I only need two sets for myself. One for viewing and one to save as untouched. If anyone is interested let me know. I will look around and see what I have and I will post what my quantity is in a couple of days.

Ah and she did illustrate a book called Poisonous Plants. her mother Suzanne Coil wrote the text. Suzanne also wrote about firteen other books.

Any other questions are welcome. I hope this information is helpful to some of you!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I am surprised to have stumbled on this... Astrid Lenox was my mother. I say was because she passed away in 1993.

You've simply ruined my day/night/morning! Seriously, I'm so sorry Astrid is gone, I liked her a lot and often wondered what happened to her. I wonder if Florence Fuller knows? Florence owned The Pocket Billiard Lounge in Binghamton when I met your mother. Your mother stayed at FF's house the last time I saw her.
Again, I'm so sorry. She will be in my thoughts when I go to bed this morning.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that I think about it, Frank Dominick, from Wilkes Barre, PA had a complete set that he was taking around the country getting autographed by the players still alive. According to Eddie "Big Ed" Matoushnik, {sp?} also from that area, Frank no longer plays.

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I am surprised to have stumbled on this... Astrid Lenox was my mother. I say was because she passed away in 1993. Her husband Keith (my dad) passed away in 1990. I do think she stopped playing around 1985 which is around when I was born. Sorry about that guys! She did play at home though. Her dad (my grandfather) is Jesse Coil who taught her and later me how to play. I am not on her level if you were going to ask.

So the pool cards. They were done in 1988 so that makes 21 years. I also have a pretty good number of them in complete sets ( I believe she did three different sets) I will look and see what I have. I am willing to sell them since I only need two sets for myself. One for viewing and one to save as untouched. If anyone is interested let me know. I will look around and see what I have and I will post what my quantity is in a couple of days.

Ah and she did illustrate a book called Poisonous Plants. her mother Suzanne Coil wrote the text. Suzanne also wrote about firteen other books.

Any other questions are welcome. I hope this information is helpful to some of you!

Thank you for sharing, Chris. I've never heard of these cards until now. They sounds awesome and I wish I had the extra income to buy a set of them. That was the prime of my pool playing yrs and I'm sure I'd know or be familiar with most of the players.

For those of us not flush enough to buy the cards, does anyone (Mike, Vette, or Chris) care to show us some pics? I know I would enjoy seeing them. :thumbup:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing, Chris. I've never heard of these cards until now. They sounds awesome and I wish I had the extra income to buy a set of them. That was the prime of my pool playing yrs and I'm sure I'd know or be familiar with most of the players.

For those of us not flush enough to buy the cards, does anyone (Mike, Vette, or Chris) care to show us some pics? I know I would enjoy seeing them. :thumbup:

I can scan some later in the day, maybe. I have my car being worked on and have to go out soon, relying on a friend for transportation.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a scan, not sure how it will look.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 545

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Wow, this is both intriguing and heart-breaking. Astrid died at 31 years of age?!?! How horrible...I can only assume her husband was also equally young. If someone could scan their set (complete or partial), it would help these rare items live on. TIA

chrisklenox

Registered
Ok here is what I have as far as the pool cords are concerned:

Series 1 (66 cards) six sets
Series 2 (20 cards) eight sets
Series 3 (20 Cards) Seven sets

I am not really sure what to ask for these so right now I will accept offers. Just PM me or email chrisklenox@yahoo.com

Email me for some scans as well.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Ok here is what I have as far as the pool cords are concerned:

Series 1 (66 cards) six sets
Series 2 (20 cards) eight sets
Series 3 (20 Cards) Seven sets

I am not really sure what to ask for these so right now I will accept offers. Just PM me or email chrisklenox@yahoo.com

Email me for some scans as well.

I sent you a PM. I would recommend contacting Mike Shamos from Billiards Digest; he may be able to appraise the cards to give you a sense of the value. Mike is an authoritarian in billiards history.

Bob Jewett posts here at AZB and also writes for Billiards Digest. He also may be able to help you in determining the value or could probably get you in contact with Mike Shamos.

I am interested in buying some of the sets; however, I would prefer they be appraised because I don't want to give you less than they are worth.

Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks.

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

I have an almost complete set of the first set minus #5. Anyone tell me which card is #5? This first set is almost 80 cards with no doubles in excellent condition. Some players have the same card number but different drawings. Mike Sica is #66, the last numbered card

I also have the Lenox Series II and Series III in their original packaging. They look untouched as well, all three sets

Looks like they were 1988 or '89 era. At least the last credits for their pool accomplishments were listed at 1989

Not sure if I would sell but ... if someone would offer $17,000 for the three sets :) consider them sold

But I would like to know who #5 of the first set is

Any help would be appreciated ...