Important News

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to work for a deep sea charter boat fishing out of Glocester Mass. We used to get calls asking what time does the 8 o'clock boat leave? We politely said 8 o'clock on the dot. They would then tell us they were running late I'll be there by 8:10 or so. We then told them we'd wave to them on our way out. They got the message and that was that. Whoever thinks they are so important that 50 or so on time others should wait for them? No one customer is worth missing off all the others. On time or stay home. Pretty easy really...

Are you saying arriving 10 minutes after the boat leaves is to be treated the same as arriving 45 min before it leaves?

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
They should just say they are starting at 11am instead of noon. That would account for the extra time needed before the event to check everyone in. The actual time to start play would be noon.

When I go on trips with my idiot brothers, I always tell them I want to leave an hour before I actually do. That way I'm not upset when we constantly leave late. We are still early most of the time. I know I will never run a tournament, but if I did, that's how I would handle it.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12:00 pm: Play Begins
* NOTE: At 11:00 am, we will conduct a role call. If a registered player is not present at that time, his/her spot will be offered to the next person on the waiting list. We highly recommend that you arrive Friday night to avoid traffic and other delays. There will be no exceptions so please, arrive early. There is no need to call the Tournament Director or the venue to say you will be late. If you are late, you may lose your spot without refund - no exceptions, no favors.

Wtf? Who is the customer here?

I agree, one hour before the tournament is a lot of time. Most pool halls open at 11AM, so to say that if you show up at 11:15AM, you lose your spot is a bit harsh.

I would recommend this.....Doors open at 11AM, sign up is at 11:30AM. If you are not here at 11:30AM to sign up/pay, your spot will be forfeited to next player on the waiting list. Tournament will start at 12PM SHARP!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is that? Being early hurts nobody. And it's not early if that's the required time
Jason

Kidney dialysis
Worship leader
Crack smoker
Flat tire
Diarrhea
Unspecified

The list is endless. If an individual pays and arrives before start, he has met his end of the bargain.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying arriving 10 minutes after the boat leaves is to be treated the same as arriving 45 min before it leaves?

No. The ones that arrive 10 minutes late are allowed to try swimming to catch the boat that has all the folks that arrived on time. If they can catch up they are allowed onboard. Lol....

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Kidney dialysis
Worship leader
Crack smoker
Flat tire
Diarrhea
Unspecified

The list is endless. If an individual pays and arrives before start, he has met his end of the bargain.

Treat it like your job. If I have to be at work at 11, I'm at work before 11. No different.

If the players cant respect the TD or the other players enough to be there on time - too bad.
Jason

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
No. The ones that arrive 10 minutes late are allowed to try swimming to catch the boat that has all the folks that arrived on time. If they can catch up they are allowed onboard. Lol....

All things should be like this. It's called respect. Swim mf'er, swim. Lol
Jason

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Treat it like your job. If I have to be at work at 11, I'm at work before 11. No different.

If the players cant respect the TD or the other players enough to be there on time - too bad.
Jason

It isn't a question of respect, it is a lose-lose imposition for all parties.

Guess it comes down to how you define 'on time' and I wouldn't expect to shut the theater doors an hour before show time.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12:00 pm: Play Begins
* NOTE: At 11:00 am, we will conduct a role call. If a registered player is not present at that time, his/her spot will be offered to the next person on the waiting list. We highly recommend that you arrive Friday night to avoid traffic and other delays. There will be no exceptions so please, arrive early. There is no need to call the Tournament Director or the venue to say you will be late. If you are late, you may lose your spot without refund - no exceptions, no favors.

Wtf? Who is the customer here?

I didn’t see the problem initially, but I reread it and I see your point. You have to be there at 11:00, but the tournament doesn’t start until noon?! I hate it. I wish the standby crowd would get your spot if you’re one minute late to your first match. That seems fair enough.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All things should be like this. It's called respect. Swim mf'er, swim. Lol
Jason

Or drown, then we won't have to worry about them being late to the pool tournament.

I didn’t see the problem initially, but I reread it and I see your point. You have to be there at 11:00, but the tournament doesn’t start until noon?! I hate it. I wish the standby crowd would get your spot if you’re one minute late to your first match. That seems fair enough.

Agreed, an hour is a bit harsh.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see is as a misnomer at all.

I would think the hosts would seek to include folks, not add restrictions.

Events in the area used to draw hundred+, regularly...now, often less than 50.

OK.

Pool is not an Olympic sport, and although we desperately want to be seen as a "legitimate" sport in so many contexts, many won't want the hassles involved I guess. I get that.

Many (most?) "legitimate" sports have such things as weigh ins, equipment inspections, sign in deadlines, etc for official events and/or tournaments.

I guess we can just go on looking like an aside to gambling and drinking, etc.

I am not worried about it as I am not playing tournaments, leagues, or anything else of that nature. But I thought a lot of people were concerned about the sport at large.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]
Agreed, an hour is a bit harsh.

Don't you think --just maybe--the tournament organizers are the right people to make that call.

Take one of our Quadrangle tournaments for instance. If we get 104 players, we divide them into four groups of 26. We don't know which group each player is in until signups are closed. We get all the names entered into a computer. We do the four draws. We write the names on big physical charts for those who like to see it there. We fill out a match scorecard for each of the 40+ 1st round matches. We get on the horn and announce the rules and expectations. Then we call out the 1st-round matches. We can get pretty efficient at this, but we use our experience to estimate how long it will take.

I think what you should expect is they be clear on the expectations of you.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you think --just maybe--the tournament organizers are the right people to make that call.

Take one of our Quadrangle tournaments for instance. If we get 104 players, we divide them into four groups of 26. We don't know which group each player is in until signups are closed. We get all the names entered into a computer. We do the four draws. We write the names on big physical charts for those who like to see it there. We fill out a match scorecard for each of the 40+ 1st round matches. We get on the horn and announce the rules and expectations. Then we call out the 1st-round matches. We can get pretty efficient at this, but we use our experience to estimate how long it will take.

I think what you should expect is they be clear on the expectations of you.
It should definitely be acknowledged that it is far easie to sit on the sidelines and call wrongs than it is to run tournaments for a bunch of me-me-mees.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
It isn't a question of respect, it is a lose-lose imposition for all parties.

Guess it comes down to how you define 'on time' and I wouldn't expect to shut the theater doors an hour before show time.

I am just gonna be blunt here.

You are lucky you still HAVE tournaments in your area. I know that there are a lot of areas of the country that are not holding regular events any more. With pool halls closing down all the time, not too many room owners interested in hosting a breakeven tourney (if that), and catering to self-entitled poolplayers.

And the tournament getting 50 players versus 100+ has nothing whatsoever to do with the tournament director.. It has to do with the fact that young males are not taking up the game, and the older men you remember from those bigger tournaments have either died or quit playing pool due to health/eyesight issues. With no younger players to replace them, OF COURSE tournament attendance is gonna fall.

OR, they quit playing because the tournaments run too late because people show up past registration time and whine their way into the event.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Naw, one of us knows the scene around here and it isn't you.

I am just gonna be blunt here.

You are lucky you still HAVE tournaments in your area. I know that there are a lot of areas of the country that are not holding regular events any more. With pool halls closing down all the time, not too many room owners interested in hosting a breakeven tourney (if that), and catering to self-entitled poolplayers.

And the tournament getting 50 players versus 100+ has nothing whatsoever to do with the tournament director.. It has to do with the fact that young males are not taking up the game, and the older men you remember from those bigger tournaments have either died or quit playing pool due to health/eyesight issues.

OR, they quit playing because the tournaments run too late because people show up past registration time and whine their way into the event.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought you were objecting to "role call," as opposed to the correct "roll call."

I wanna have a working mans tournament starting at 6am.... If someone can't be at a tournament by 11:00 they really need to get a job !!!! I'm up at 4:30 everyday!