Shipping an autographed cue ball

Barry13

Registered
I need to ship a cue ball that was autographed with a permanent 'Sharpie' pen. I'm wondering if extra protection is required to protect the signature from abrasion during transit .My thought is to cover the signature with plastic food wrap. That way it will cover the signature and won't move on the ball and then be peeled off once it reaches it's final location. So has anyone received or shipped a signed cue ball and describe how it was protected/packaged. Thank you for sharing your first hand knowledge and experience.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have received a cue ball that was autographed.
It was shipped in tightly wound clear plastic and
then with bubble wrap. The cue ball was shipped
inside a cardboard box filled with styrofoam pellets.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to ship a cue ball that was autographed with a permanent 'Sharpie' pen. I'm wondering if extra protection is required to protect the signature from abrasion during transit .My thought is to cover the signature with plastic food wrap. That way it will cover the signature and won't move on the ball and then be peeled off once it reaches it's final location. So has anyone received or shipped a signed cue ball and describe how it was protected/packaged. Thank you for sharing your first hand knowledge and experience.

I mail a lot of things, but admittedly never an auto'ed pool ball
that said, this seems quite smart
as you mention, the wrap will be tight on the ball
friction would be your adversary in the case of an autograph
eliminate friction on the ball, preserve history
once wrapped, it seems you could then pack the ball safely
using many different methods

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just one word of caution with tightly wrapped thin plastic over an autograph: it is winter time, so probably not an issue , but if you were sending to a very hot climate in the summer months and it could potentially sit in a hot USPS office over a weekend, the plastic could get too hot and pull the signature from the ball when lifted off. Personally, I would not use the plastic shrink wrap on the ball, I would put a layer of thin bubble wrap around the ball that is secured with a few rubber bands, tight enough to protect the signature, but not clinging to the signature like shrink wrap- then packing over that, then the box.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A piece of advice from my postmaster.
Don’t use a sharpie, or any felt pen, for the address...it fades.
...it can disappear if it gets wet.....use ink

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I guess I can now rescind my claim that we had run out of new thread topics.:eek:

It is widely claimed that in 1899 the head of the U.S. Patent Office resigned, in a letter to President McKinley
in which he stated that everything has been invented and patented, no need for the USPO to stay open any longer...:thumbup::thumbup:

Will Prout

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Been said throughout the ages

It is widely claimed that in 1899 the head of the U.S. Patent Office resigned, in a letter to President McKinley
in which he stated that everything has been invented and patented, no need for the USPO to stay open any longer...:thumbup::thumbup:

Will Prout

It has been said throughout the ages. "There will never be another significant invention!" My brother never saw a microwave or a personal computer. Never saw a computer of any type except in a magazine. A friend's father talked him out of learning about computers, "Be a gunsmith, something with a future!" Speaking of jobs with a future, remember all of the ad's in magazines to train to be a key punch operator? Back to inventions, my sister never saw a television. Radio's were as big as televisions were a decade later.

I look back a hundred years, five hundred years, and I realize that many of our ideas, much of our machinery will seem just as antiquated in the same length of time in the future. It is a sobering thought.

Hu