ebony titlist value question.

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
I picked this up off Ebay and I haven't received it yet. it did not include measurements but I would have missed out on the deal if I waited for answers. so I took a small gamble.

ebb2-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ebb1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
Its Here! and its beautiful. Its .827 12 inches from the bottum of the points and .862 at the tips of the points. Not totally ideal but when your talking ebony Its hard enough to find one so we cant be picky.

DSCN0884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0885.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0886.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0888.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi

From someone that has one like that don't cut it! If you have it converted it better be by a name that everyone wants and willing to sell there house for! Find a different one for a conversion but the ebony ones are so far and few don't do it. I turned down 1200.00 because the guy told me he was going to chop it! Don't chop it!

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
Well I've received numerous emails inquiring about a selling price and a few asking me not to cut it. After careful consideration I've decided to cut this 1920's titlist and make it my own. I took this cue to Brandon at Jacoby Customs and he is really excited about it. I know Jacoby wouldnt be a top pic for most of you but its a block from my house, Dave and Brandon are friends of mine, i can stop in and take progress photos and i trust there work. I was encouraged to sell the cue by tony the sales guy at the shop but i realize i will never have one of these rare cues again.
In the end im going to make my own choice but i was wondering if this was yours would you do a plane conversion or have it inlayed with some ivory? Notched diamonds? Circles? Spears? I would like to here your opinions or even see some pics. Here is what im thinking

j.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do what makes you happy
the ones pictured are all nice,i would be pleased to have either one
best wishes
dean

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep it wrapless. Have a long piece of ebony added to the bottom to lengthen the handle, and make it like the second example. As little cutting as possible.

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
Keep it wrapless. Have a long piece of ebony added to the bottom to lengthen the handle, and make it like the second example. As little cutting as possible.

I would love to keep it wrapless, however the cue is just too short. The last 4 inches by the sticker is cracked and i would not want it to look funny if you could see the seem where the ebony meets the ebony. so it will get a nice elephant ear wrap.

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
No turning back! This is going to be the best christmas present ive ever given myself.

Brandon was so excited when i brought the cue in today he stripped the layer of clear to see the ebony better and he couldnt help but get started.

Here are some updated photos.........cringe if you want but save the hate mail. thanks.

1466176_586480801425037_1347450999_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1458528_586480721425045_551366952_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
You could have cored the blank with a maple core and use a sleeved wood to wood joint. That dowel would add length and used a sleeved butt cap! That way you could have avoided cutting it in half!

Food for thought and enjoy she is beautiful!

Kd

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Please do not take offense to my post but I have an opinion that I would like to share. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade but I think if you had a little more information before getting started with this you may have chosen a different path. My hope is that the info I'm going to give will help others in the future if they come across a situation like this before they jump right in to the deep end of the pool...

This is an excellent example of where taking a cue like this to a top tier cuemaker would have made all the difference. You stated that you would have liked to keep it wrapless and you could have without any real issues. I know the Jacoby shop is close to you and you consider them friends but there are many other makers that you should have considered and would have provided more information, guidance, and patience before just chopping it up. Consider this.... if you owned a Ferrari you wouldn't take it to Joe's repair shop for service just because they are down the street would you? Of course not. Then why would you take an Ebony Titlist to the cuemaker down the street to have a conversion done?

With Ebony, it's very easy to add another peice of ebony to the butt end and have it go unnoticed in the end result. Once the finish is applied, the seam between the handle section and the butt section the maker would have added wouldn't even been seen except under extreme scrutiny under bright lighting.

Again, I'm not trying to put a damper on things for you but there is a reason why you stated "I know Jacoby wouldnt be a top pic for most of you". The the reason is because there are much better choices for a build like this. The Jacoby shop is good at doing what they do and building cues within their abilities but considering they just started cutting and didn't bother to consider that you would have wanted it wrapless or even give any thought to how that could be achieved just shows their lack of experience with this kind of build.

Last edited:

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
Please do not take offense to my post but I have an opinion that I would like to share. I'm really not trying to rain on your parade but I think if you had a little more information before getting started with this you may have chosen a different path. My hope is that the info I'm going to give will help others in the future if they come across a situation like this before they jump right in to the deep end of the pool...

This is an excellent example of where taking a cue like this to a top tier cuemaker would have made all the difference. You stated that you would have liked to keep it wrapless and you could have without any real issues. I know the Jacoby shop is close to you and you consider them friends but there are many other makers that you should have considered and would have provided more information, guidance, and patience before just chopping it up. Consider this.... if you owned a Ferrari you wouldn't take it to Joe's repair shop for service just because they are down the street would you? Of course not. Then why would you take an Ebony Titlist to the cuemaker down the street to have a conversion done?

With Ebony, it's very easy to add another peice of ebony to the butt end and have it go unnoticed in the end result. Once the finish is applied, the seam between the handle section and the butt section the maker would have added wouldn't even been seen except under extreme scrutiny under bright lighting.

Again, I'm not trying to put a damper on things for you but there is a reason why you stated "I know Jacoby wouldnt be a top pic for most of you". The the reason is because there are much better choices for a build like this. The Jacoby shop is good at doing what they do and building cues within their abilities but considering they just started cutting and didn't bother to consider that you would have wanted it wrapless or even give any thought to how that could be achieved just shows their lack of experience with this kind of build.

I still can do what your saying if i choose. the only part that was cut off was the end and if it was cut a half inch lower the piece would have come off in two pieces because it was split in half. The piece that has the sticker on it was not usable ill add photos later to show better. Your right about the wrapless but it wasnt jacoby's that was worried its me i dont want to see a seem where two pieces of ebony meet up because the color doesnt match. This is why im asking opinions here. thankyou i feel better about it now and i may go for the wrapless yet.

jacobyguy

Matt
Silver Member
Here are some pictures of the butt piece that was cut away so you can see that brandon is not aimlessly wacking away at this cue. Its cracked all the way through and needed to be removed obviously because its useless and my guess is it might encourage further cracking.

DSCN0895.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0894.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DSCN0893.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ToomnyQs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Great find......

That was a heck of an opportunity to ultimately have a cue worth thousands.(At least a couple). Anyway, you WILL have a Jacoby when you are done, so you have that going for you, right? To each his own.. I hope it turns out as good as you are expecting.. It was a great find..

Last edited:

Onecrazyplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

Like I said to you in a PM you have to do what you have to do that you want. But in the long run if you take a cue to a not so so cue builder you going to end up with less than a value for the cue if you did not cut it. Plus the adding of ebony that I read on this post is still a great way to go. You know it's never going to be a true 1 piece so here's my 2 cents.
1. Add the ebony make it wrap less add some ivory rings call it a day! Great looking cue and you'll love it,
2. If your going to cut it and I saw one custom ebony titlist on here and it looked very nice but? Have to go back to its never going to be a $$$ cue wrap less so blow it out of the water! Beautiful ring work and inlay work and build it the way you want to see it.
You have something that a lot of guys would love to have I told you that before. But now you have to do what's good for your pocket the future of the cue just because its yours now it might not be one day!
All I know is I better see photos of it because I'm very excited to see what you do. Good luck

67chevy

Banned
i had joined forum in hopes of finding a full splice, purpleheart titilst, soon after reading this thread, i've changed my mind.
i'm now in pursuit of an ebony full splice titilst cue, thanks :)

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
I think wrapless for ebony titlists is the only way to go.

I'd add the ebony.

And like Onecrazyplayer said, seeing as it's already cut and you're having Jacoby do it, it may not be as desirable to a lot of people.

Nothing wrong with Jacoby, just saying they're not a "high tier" conversion cue company/maker.

Might as well go all out on it to make it how you want. Inlays and beautiful rings/ivory joint? Sure why not. It's yours all the way then.

I think the simpler the better for titlists. Just for me.