9b Spot Opinions Needed

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Here's the scenario:

A very strong shortstop & former road hustler is looking to make a game with an equivalent APA level 7 player whose strong points are he's a great shotmaker and vg position player but because he's so confident in his shot making ability he rarely plays safe and when he does he usually doesn't execute them well due to lack of familiarity. In fact, because of this I gave him his pool name, "Green Light" a tribute to his all offense game.

The spot:

The very strong shortstop is offering "Green Light" either the called 7-8 or the wild 6 in a race to 7.

Which do you think would offer "Green Light" the best chance to win? And why?

best,
brian kc

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Wild 6 for sure

If it counts on the break, extra money balls

If he is stuck, a ram shot with two money balls has double the chance

If he's a great ball runner, he's only caring about running 6 balls on the table

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
wild 6

I would say the wild six too. Ol' Green Light has a game that luck plays a bigger part in than that of many players. Called shots don't favor an overaggressive player as much as wild balls.

Hu

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I vote for the wild 6 also. I assume an APA 7, once on the 7, will usually get out.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and vote called 7 and 8.

That's three money balls, and for an "APA 7" that prides himself on shotmaking he should be able to determine what hole those are ending up in.

The wild 6 is a good choice also, much lower in the line-up. It brings the money balls back down to 2 - and a great shortstop will never let him see the 6. He'll be kicking at it every chance he has to swing at it. And if he rarely plays safeties, what's his track record for getting out of those safeties?

Give him the 3 money balls instead of the 9 and a wild mid-ball, IMO

I'm saying this with the assumption it's going to be on a Diamond 9'.
Everything changes if the equipment changes. :thumbup:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

Green Light's best chance to win: Negotiate winner breaks and rack your own. Use a magic rack. Win the flip for first break. Take the wild 6. Wire the six on the wing. Win seven in a row on the break! Easy peasy. :thumbup:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the 7/8... no way to hide the money ball in the rack, there is always going to be
A ball to call on the break that a good shot maker can expect, not to mention all the
Combos, caroms that ‘green light’ can go for.... in addition, there is no where (little to none) to hide from the 6 out for the opponent..has to get good on the 5 to get perfect on the 6 to complete the run or he’s in a serious deficit position.

Td

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Here's the scenario:

A very strong shortstop & former road hustler is looking to make a game with an equivalent APA level 7 player whose strong points are he's a great shotmaker and vg position player but because he's so confident in his shot making ability he rarely plays safe and when he does he usually doesn't execute them well due to lack of familiarity. In fact, because of this I gave him his pool name, "Green Light" a tribute to his all offense game.

The spot:

The very strong shortstop is offering "Green Light" either the called 7-8 or the wild 6 in a race to 7.

best,
brian kc

Who's the shortstop? I like hearing about strong players. Used to follow only semi-pros and shortstops for a while.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this game on 7 footers? A 7 in APA is about a 5 if they step up to a 9 footer.

If the game is on a 9 footer then give me the 7 and 8. I like 3 money balls.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Depends how it is racked, calling the 7-8 is fairly easy if in top 2 spots which is normally where they go. At least if you know the break.

If the apa 7 can break and run to 6, that will be better, but depends again on his ability. Sounds like better player isn’t worried about that if he is offering it.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Is this game on 7 footers? A 7 in APA is about a 5 if they step up to a 9 footer.

If the game is on a 9 footer then give me the 7 and 8. I like 3 money balls.

it's on a 9 ft GC and "Green Light" is a solid 7 skill level on 9 footers, no shrinkage. :grin-square:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Depends how it is racked, calling the 7-8 is fairly easy if in top 2 spots which is normally where they go. At least if you know the break.

If the apa 7 can break and run to 6, that will be better, but depends again on his ability. Sounds like better player isn’t worried about that if he is offering it.

no pattern racking allowed; just throw them in wherever they land and in the 'call 7-8 game' either of those potted on the break must be spotted at the end of breakers inning.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
no pattern racking allowed; just throw them in wherever they land and in the 'call 7-8 game' either of those potted on the break must be spotted at the end of breakers inning.

Hmmm....more info needed.
Spot balls with no pattern racking?....so the wild six won’t count on the break?
...how tight is the table?
Are the extra money balls treated as the 9-ball....spotted if illegally made?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Are the extra money balls treated as the 9-ball....spotted if illegally made?
And does the spotter get to slop in the called 7 and 8?

It's more exciting to go into the game without having discussed the details of the spot, but for this analysis it would be good to know how the spots work. There is no standard. I've seen conditions trotted out for "called" spotted balls in the middle of matchups much to the surprise of the spottee.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is almost no game the apa7 could win.

I played a lot of shorstops/Open players in Philly in the past 20 years. I kept records. My records told me almost no matter the weight, I could not beat them. I'm talking about the called 5 out in 9 ball. Or 15-5 in one hole. Or 5 pockets to a back in back-pocket. When the skill is too severe a difference, its just no good. I was a strong C I'd say at the time, which is probably an APA 6 I'd guess, maybe even 7.

YMMV:)

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wild 6 and it's not even close IMO. You're gonna get a lot more opportunities to run out from the beginning of the rack than then end. If I only have to get to the 6 and not the 7, that's a bigger spot. Having an extra called money-ball isn't gonna mean as much as having a lower numbered ball. Especially if the table is tight. That being said, I don't think an APA 7 can get there with either spot.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Hmmm....more info needed.
Spot balls with no pattern racking?....so the wild six won’t count on the break?
...how tight is the table?
Are the extra money balls treated as the 9-ball....spotted if illegally made?

The six is wild so it will count as a win on the break if green light is breaking

If the call seven or eight ball is made by Greenlight called in a particular pocket then he wins 9 ball does not have to be called whoever pots it wins the rack

If green light makes the seven or eight in a pocket he did not call they stay down except on the break they would be spotted at the end of his inning. If shortstop pots the six during the course of the rack it stays down.

Table is a standard 5 inch Corner Pocket gold crown

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

I played a lot of shorstops/Open players in Philly in the past 20 years. I kept records. My records told me almost no matter the weight, I could not beat them. I'm talking about the called 5 out in 9 ball. Or 15-5 in one hole. Or 5 pockets to a back in back-pocket. When the skill is too severe a difference, its just no good. I was a strong C I'd say at the time, which is probably an APA 6 I'd guess, maybe even 7.

If this is a 7 in 9 ball I agree, a 7 in 8 ball and they could be even players technically. Though I think the op said equivalent to a 7 which gives more of a skill cap. It amazes me how freaking good some people are and to know they would still get hammered by good pro level players. The scale is huge

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Not with ball spots, anyway. To me, it sounds like the APA7 needs five or six games on the wire in a race to eleven. Ball spots just don't cut it when you're playing against a monster.