Realizing that your Tastes have Changed.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
9 Ball Fan. I obviously love to watch, and play 9 Ball. It's exciting. There is a wild card in the game, called Luck. Anyone can get lucky, and win a few racks. You'd better not miss, after you get down to the last few balls.

But to be honest; I enjoy 8 Ball or Straight Pool even more, now. The better player will win a race to 7 or 9, in 8 Ball; probably 85% of the time. The better player will win a race to 100 or 150, in Straight Pool; probably 85% of the time. You have to outplay the better player, to beat them.

I guess my tastes have changed?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
9 Ball Fan. I obviously love to watch, and play 9 Ball. It's exciting. There is a wild card in the game, called Luck. Anyone can get lucky, and win a few racks. You'd better not miss, after you get down to the last few balls.

But to be honest; I enjoy 8 Ball or Straight Pool even more, now. The better player will win a race to 7 or 9, in 8 Ball; probably 85% of the time. The better player will win a race to 100 or 150, in Straight Pool; probably 85% of the time. You have to outplay the better player, to beat them.

Eventually you will love one pocket .....:smile::smile:

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The better player will probably own the lesser player at a race to 7 in straight pool, if it's a significant difference in skill probably 95 percent or more. A race to 7 in 9 ball, especially if it's on a bar box, I've seen a lot of big underdogs win. Myself included. I think it was the late Ronnie Allen that said "on a bar box I'll win 9 to 1 then you'll win 9 to 1."

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even if you can't watch it, and I originally couldn't, you have to admit one hole is a fun game to play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I see this as a healthy progression. All the games are worthwhile, and if you've learned to enjoy different games, that's a good thing. You'll find that playing multiple disciplines within pool will make you a more well-rounded player. You clearly understand the most important thing about pool as it pertains to anyone who doesn't play it for a living, and that's to enjoy the game.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well then, you should easily embrace 10 ball since it basically is mini-straight pool for 10 balls.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well then, you should easily embrace 10 ball since it basically is mini-straight pool for 10 balls.

Only if you shoot the balls in numerical order when you play straight pool.

Otherwise, there's little similarity between rotation games and straight pool. On the other hand, 8-ball, in which you can play your balls in any order you like and must try to leave a key ball to simplify shape onto the eight, shares many things with straight pool.