AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Brunswick Centennial
Old
  (#1)
Rubicon79
AzB Bronze Member
Rubicon79 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Brunswick Centennial - 12-23-2019, 03:12 PM

Great site here and thanks upfront for the advice.

I grew up playing pool since my dad owned a pool hall through my teenage years but quit playing years ago. After a 20 year hiatus Iíve taken back up playing and want my own table.

My dad has a Brunswick Centennial 8 foot he has owned for over 20 years and bought from the original owner. He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I donít sell it. Iíd like for the table to play well and have spoke to Mark Gregory about redoing the rails and setting the table up for me. Iím comparing the table to finding a used Diamond since thatís what all the places around me use.

Thoughts on redoing this table vs buying a used Diamond? Iíll have over 5k in this table moved, rails redone and new Simonis. Iím not overly concerned with looks but the Centennial is a classic however having a good playing table is more important than looks for me.

Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
PoolTable911
AdvancedBilliardSolutions
PoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond reputePoolTable911 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300
  Send a message via AIM to PoolTable911  
12-23-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon79 View Post

I grew up playing pool since my dad owned a pool hall through my teenage years but quit playing years ago. After a 20 year hiatus Iíve taken back up playing and want my own table.

My dad has a Brunswick Centennial 8 foot he has owned for over 20 years and bought from the original owner. He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I donít sell it. Iíd like for the table to play well and have spoke to Mark Gregory about redoing the rails and setting the table up for me. Iím comparing the table to finding a used Diamond since thatís what all the places around me use.

Thoughts on redoing this table vs buying a used Diamond? Iíll have over 5k in this table moved, rails redone and new Simonis. Iím not overly concerned with looks but the Centennial is a classic however having a good playing table is more important than looks for me.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. My vote is for the Centennial. Mark will make it play outstanding.

Patrick O'Donnell
609-709-2842 (Direct)
www.PoolTable911.com

"setnoc, you will be missed my friend"

Old
  (#3)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2019, 10:51 PM

Have you given any consideration to the Centennial being an 8 ft. table? I know the nostalgic value of your Dad's table must be strong, but would it be more to your long term advantage to own a 9 ft. table? An early Gold Crown has roughly the identical structural design, and they are quite reasonable to buy.

Oh, by the way, I envy you the Centennial.

Old
  (#4)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I grew up playing pool since my dad owned a pool hall through my teenage years but quit playing years ago. After a 20 year hiatus I’ve taken back up playing and want my own table.

My dad has a Brunswick Centennial 8 foot he has owned for over 20 years and bought from the original owner. He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I don’t sell it. I’d like for the table to play well and have spoke to Mark Gregory about redoing the rails and setting the table up for me. I’m comparing the table to finding a used Diamond since that’s what all the places around me use.

Thoughts on redoing this table vs buying a used Diamond? I’ll have over 5k in this table moved, rails redone and new Simonis. I’m not overly concerned with looks but the Centennial is a classic however having a good playing table is more important than looks for me.

Thanks!
I would say keep that piece of Pool History in your family!!! The Centennial is IMO the pinnacle of pool tables. Jack Zimmerman does excellent work and has done rails for both the Centennial and Anniversary for me. He is one of the best out there and is a true gentleman.

If you are gonna go the Centennial route, go all in and get the metal polished, get some new pockets and refinish the legs and that beautiful Brazilian Rosewood on the rails. You will still be under what it would cost to buy one restored and at the end of the day preserving the table.

Trent from Toledo

Example of one of my restorations.
Attached Images

Old
  (#5)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
I would say keep that piece of Pool History in your family!!! The Centennial is IMO the pinnacle of pool tables. Jack Zimmerman does excellent work and has done rails for both the Centennial and Anniversary for me. He is one of the best out there and is a true gentleman.

If you are gonna go the Centennial route, go all in and get the metal polished, get some new pockets and refinish the legs and that beautiful Brazilian Rosewood on the rails. You will still be under what it would cost to buy one restored and at the end of the day preserving the table.

Trent from Toledo

Example of one of my restorations.
That's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship right there. Gorgeous restoration!

Old
  (#6)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-24-2019, 04:45 PM

The Centennial is a beautiful table, brought up to current specs should make it play similar to a Diamond. As far as it being an 8 foot table you mean an oversize 8 or Pro 8? A pro 8 is only 4" narrower and 8" shorter than a 9 foot table.

Old
  (#7)
Rubicon79
AzB Bronze Member
Rubicon79 is on a distinguished road

12-24-2019, 07:30 PM

Itís an 8 ft pro so it does kind of split the difference.

Would you use the artemis or the Brunswick super speed cushions?

As a bonus he did agree to throw in the Brunswick Centennial rotating cue rack and the centennial balls.

If money allows Iíd really like to get Mark to do his finish on the rails but either way Iíd for sure polish all the metal.

Old
  (#8)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2019, 07:36 PM

I would go Superspeed. Pretty sure that is what Mark uses.
Sounds like you have a PLAN! Let us see the pics when you are done

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#9)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Itís an 8 ft pro so it does kind of split the difference.

Would you use the Artemis or the Brunswick super speed cushions?

As a bonus he did agree to throw in the Brunswick Centennial rotating cue rack and the centennial balls.

If money allows Iíd really like to get Mark to do his finish on the rails but either way Iíd for sure polish all the metal.
I put Artemis on mine only because thats what everyone suggested at the time. I think I wish I had put Superspeeds on instead but I dont know if it would play any different. When I compare shots (cue ball speed, 3 rail kicks, etc) on a 9' Blue Label Diamond compared to mine they play almost identical.

Old
  (#10)
The ProRailbird
AzB Silver Member
The ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond reputeThe ProRailbird has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
He has offered it to me for $2500 under the condition I donít sell it.
That's a great table!

No disrespect to your dad, but I would never buy something with the condition that I can never sell it, especially if I would have $5K into it before it's usable.

However, I would ask him, how about you let me move your table to my house & have it professionally rebuilt, then we can both play on it whenever we want to. I can never sell it, but neither can you. If either wants to sell, you could sell & split the sale price, or you could buy out & own it with no conditions/restrictions.

Now if he said "I'll sell it to you under the condition that, if you ever want to sell it I get first dibs at buying it" that is much different story.

Personally, if I was going to spend $5K on a table, and had space I'd get a 9' table.

Good luck on your quest whatever you decide.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: