Mezz Ferules
Old
  (#1)
Hardmix
AzB Bronze Member
Hardmix is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Mezz Ferules - 01-13-2020, 08:33 AM

I have been playing Mezz WD/WX 700 and Ex Pro shafts for the last 3 years. I like everything about these shafts except the ferules, all of mine have cracked.

I have never broken with any of the shafts. I do fire some balls into the pocket and hit some firm banks.

I am curious if other Mezz players are having the same experience.

Last edited by Hardmix; 01-13-2020 at 12:45 PM.

Old
  (#2)
S.Vaskovskyi
AzB Silver Member
S.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond reputeS.Vaskovskyi has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardmix View Post
I have been playing Mezz WD/WX 700 and Ex Pro shafts for the last 3 years. I like everything about these shafts except the ferules, they all crack.

I am curious if other Mezz players are having the same experience.
I can tell about two cases I know. My student bought his Mezz cue with WX 700 shaft quite long ago at the time they just appeared on the market. So it was some time ago I don't remmember how long that ferrule served and needed the replaycement.
The second case I know is fairly fresh. Ruslan Chinakhov is playing with a Mezz cue and as I heard with WX-Alpha shaft Jeff de Luna played with it before he switched to the Ignite. A few months ago I saw a post on Ruslan's FB page where he was looking for this particular shaft. I heard the reason was a problem with a ferrule too.
I guess in order to get some LD properties they needed to look for a compromise and came with that material to use. For the money they ask for their Ex Pro shaft they could offer something more reliable...ihmo.
When it comes to me I would just change the ferrule using Tomahawk material for example which worked well for me on my projects with LD shafts.

Playing cue: 62" full spliced player I''ve built for myself
Break cue: made by myself

"Live and learn...and have fun"

Last edited by S.Vaskovskyi; 01-13-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Old
  (#3)
Ģśţāṿ
AzB Silver Member
Ģśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 02:43 PM

I've only had a Mezz (wx700) crack once. As long as you dont let the tip get too short, it should be just fine.

Old
  (#4)
Hardmix
AzB Bronze Member
Hardmix is on a distinguished road

01-13-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ģśţāṿ View Post
I've only had a Mezz (wx700) crack once. As long as you dont let the tip get too short, it should be just fine.
My tips never get short enough to stress the ferrule.

I think Mezz chose their ferrule for its weight not longevity.

Old
  (#5)
a1712
AzB Silver Member
a1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond reputea1712 has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 10:20 PM

I have 6- WX700 shafts, everyone of them has cracks in the ferrules. I just thin some CA, brush it on in the lathe and smooth it with 800 then 1000. They play fine, but I'm getting ready to swap them all over to Tomahawk. Brian.

Old
  (#6)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1712 View Post
I have 6- WX700 shafts, everyone of them has cracks in the ferrules. I just thin some CA, brush it on in the lathe and smooth it with 800 then 1000. They play fine, but I'm getting ready to swap them all over to Tomahawk. Brian.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#7)
Nekdo
AzB Silver Member
Nekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond reputeNekdo has a reputation beyond repute

01-15-2020, 01:55 AM

I had three cracked ferrules on my wd700. I own the shaft for cca 10 yeara. First was on the original tip. Other two happened soon after the tip change. All ferrules were changed under warranty. At the last change they (mezz) asked me to instruct my repairman (tip changer) to not sand the ferrule when changing the tip. Have not had the crack in ferrules in last 7 years.
I know a lot of people with mezz cracked ferrules (wd700, wx700, ex pro,hp2). That is why the next time my ferrule cracks, the shaft is going for wood fire. You cant have ferrule cracking on 400 eur shafts.
Im interested what will be wrong with ingnite shafts...

Poslano z mojega SM-G965F z uporabo Tapatalk

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: