Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Possible to make a butt extension, or another route?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Possible to make a butt extension, or another route?
Old
  (#1)
glfgd82
AzB Silver Member
glfgd82 will become famous soon enoughglfgd82 will become famous soon enough

vCash: 500

Possible to make a butt extension, or another route? - 01-13-2020, 05:34 AM

I want to try to add a bit more length to my cue to see how it feels, currently it is 63" in total length and I'm looking to add another 4-6" to see how it feels. I'm 6'6" and have a wingspan that is closer to 7 foot. The cue I have is a custom built BHQ and now that I'm playing again after a 10 year layoff I'm looking to make things as comfortable as possible using the new items which are available.

I've been looking at the balance rite mid extensions as an option, my only worry is adding too much forward weight doing this. I'm including two photos of the butt of my cue, not sure if the "threads" in there can be used for an extension to be screwed into, but I figure I'd ask for the opinions of the experts.

Thank you
James
Attached Images

Last edited by glfgd82; 01-13-2020 at 05:40 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 06:43 AM

Can you post some pictures in focus?
A combination of a mid extension and butt extender would solve your problem

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#3)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glfgd82 View Post
I want to try to add a bit more length to my cue to see how it feels, currently it is 63" in total length and I'm looking to add another 4-6" to see how it feels. I'm 6'6" and have a wingspan that is closer to 7 foot. The cue I have is a custom built BHQ and now that I'm playing again after a 10 year layoff I'm looking to make things as comfortable as possible using the new items which are available.

I've been looking at the balance rite mid extensions as an option, my only worry is adding too much forward weight doing this. I'm including two photos of the butt of my cue, not sure if the "threads" in there can be used for an extension to be screwed into, but I figure I'd ask for the opinions of the experts.

Thank you
James

The easy answer is yes. Using the mid extension and the rear extension is a pain. To many pieces in the mix. On your cue, I would install a phenolic plug. Wood strips out to easy if the weight bolt thread is 3/8x16. I did this one for a McDermott, 10 inches long. I drilled and tapped into McDermott s existing weight bolt using a 1/4x20. Every cue is different but no biggy.

Name:  IMG_20190329_085042.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  115.3 KB
Name:  IMG_20190329_084921.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  96.0 KB
Name:  IMG_20190329_085439.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  74.7 KB

Hope this helps

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#4)
glfgd82
AzB Silver Member

01-13-2020, 05:19 PM

Here is a better look at the bumper, there is no weight belt in this cue, I purchased a 31" cf shaft today for the cue, not sure how much that may or may not change how the cue shoots.
Attached Images

Old
  (#5)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Here is a better look at the bumper, there is no weight belt in this cue, I purchased a 31" cf shaft today for the cue, not sure how much that may or may not change how the cue shoots.
That bumper is a 3/8x16 thread. On the ones I've done with that thread. I converted the butts over to a plug bumber with a hole in it and glued it in place so the cue is never without a bumper whether the extension is on or not.

Name:  IMG_20190816_103052.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  101.9 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#6)
glfgd82
AzB Silver Member

01-13-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
That bumper is a 3/8x16 thread. On the ones I've done with that thread. I converted the butts over to a plug bumber with a hole in it and glued it in place so the cue is never without a bumper whether the extension is on or not.

Attachment 538937
Can you message me a price to have the work done, I probably wont be able to have it done for a while, no income while I recover and my cf shaft had to be covered by my best friend.

Old
  (#7)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

01-13-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Can you message me a price to have the work done, I probably wont be able to have it done for a while, no income while I recover and my cf shaft had to be covered by my best friend.
I don't take work from AZ. It's a conflict of my interest in being a member. I just try to offer technical support.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#8)
Robert58
AzB Gold Member
Robert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond reputeRobert58 has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2020, 01:49 AM

I have a JD Cue with that Bumper. The Jacoby Extension and Bumper kit screws right in . The screw in the rubber bumper is aluminum.
Weighs the same as the rubber bumper you have. Only weight added is the Extension.

I bought mine from Seyberts.

Last edited by Robert58; 01-14-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: