Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page No chance for Frost. Harsh reality
Page 13 of 17 « First 3111213 1415 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#181)
otrebor22
AzB Silver Member
otrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond reputeotrebor22 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-20-2015, 01:57 PM

I thought all along that it's a lock between the Pearl and the Iceman!

Old
  (#182)
Fast Lenny
♠ ♥ ONTHERAILTV.COM ♣ ♦
Fast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond reputeFast Lenny has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

06-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This is turning into an epic marathon. I think the level of play is improving daily. They both played very well yesterday imo. When Scott keeps his emotions in check he is a much better player. Alex looked particularly sharp almost all day. He is getting serious now (no more fun and games), as he sees he's in a real battle for supremacy.
I would compare this in pool to the Heavyweight Championship of the World, this match might mean more to them then winning a DCC title. Whoever wins will be known for awhile as number 1 until someone comes and takes that away and the other guy will be second best which be second best out of something in a world of 7 billion people is nothing to be ashamed of.

GO TO WWW.ONTHERAILTV.COM FOR SOME GREAT POOL CONTENT!

Close score doesn't mean close match
Old
  (#183)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

Close score doesn't mean close match - 06-20-2015, 04:17 PM

A close score doesn't mean it's a close match.

While a final score of 68-60 looks close...it isn't. There is a winner and a loser. That is it. That is all that matters.

One person (Alex) made up his mind before this match that the only acceptable outcome was a win. Scott wanted to win, but it seems he is satisfied to put up a good fight and prove he's "about evenly matched". But while he may keep up with Alex for a while, that is as far removed from winning as Heaven from Earth.

Winning is winning. Losing is losing. Doesn't matter if it's 8-0 or 1,008-1,000. Anyone that is satisfied with losing with a close score doesn't have the same level of win, and simply isn't in the same class.

I agree with the original poster that Scott has no chance. I think he plays the game close to as well as Alex, but he can't WIN against Alex. Beyond that what else matters?

Old
  (#184)
actionplayer
AzB Silver Member
actionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond reputeactionplayer has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
A close score doesn't mean it's a close match.

While a final score of 68-60 looks close...it isn't. There is a winner and a loser. That is it. That is all that matters.

One person (Alex) made up his mind before this match that the only acceptable outcome was a win. Scott wanted to win, but it seems he is satisfied to put up a good fight and prove he's "about evenly matched". But while he may keep up with Alex for a while, that is as far removed from winning as Heaven from Earth.

Winning is winning. Losing is losing. Doesn't matter if it's 8-0 or 1,008-1,000. Anyone that is satisfied with losing with a close score doesn't have the same level of win, and simply isn't in the same class.

I agree with the original poster that Scott has no chance. I think he plays the game close to as well as Alex, but he can't WIN against Alex. Beyond that what else matters?
Maybe why alex came up with the 25 and Scott didn't ?

Old
  (#185)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lenny View Post
I would compare this in pool to the Heavyweight Championship of the World, this match might mean more to them then winning a DCC title. Whoever wins will be known for awhile as number 1 until someone comes and takes that away and the other guy will be second best which be second best out of something in a world of 7 billion people is nothing to be ashamed of.
Nothing wrong with playing as well as Frosty did. Nothing to be ashamed of in bringing home a silver medal. Don't think there will be a long line to play Frosty even after this match ?

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#186)
Danktrees
RIP RS
Danktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3950
  Send a message via MSN to Danktrees  
06-20-2015, 05:49 PM

scott has hung in there but to be perfectly honest, the facts show that alex has been in the lead of the match for like 95% of it so it's hard to say that they're equal.

scott has done better on some days than others (day 2 for example) but this was the format they both came up with to determine who is better and with the way the match has gone, clearly alex is better unless scott can come with something huge today. even when everyone is cheering for scott and saying how he has shown so much heart to dig deep and win some games, it was really only to close down the lead, never to establish one for himself.

8 and out
Playing Cue: S
Other Cues: Viking, Audrick.
Break Cue: Mezz Powerbreak Pro w/elephant wrap.
Jump Cue: Lomax.
Cases: 2x4 Yang Hanging Gardens Extreme, 3x5 Yang Mechanical Heart Case, 2x4 Cue Master Golden Phoenix Case.
Favourite Game: One Pocket.

Scammed by Tony Zinzola, do not give that guy any money. Tony is a thief.

Old
  (#187)
TheMadScientist
Justin Richardson
TheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond reputeTheMadScientist has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 100

06-20-2015, 06:04 PM

Alex has won 2 of the days, Scott has won 1 day, and they broke even one day. If Scott wins the 5th day by just a few games, I would say they are dead even.

Old
  (#188)
Danktrees
RIP RS
Danktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond reputeDanktrees has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadScientist View Post
Alex has won 2 of the days, Scott has won 1 day, and they broke even one day. If Scott wins the 5th day by just a few games, I would say they are dead even.
if scott brings the score back to even then yes, but they're not keeping track by who wins more days, they're scoring who wins more games.

8 and out
Cases: 2x4 Yang Hanging Gardens Extreme, 3x5 Yang Mechanical Heart Case, 2x4 Cue Master Golden Phoenix Case.

Old
  (#189)
phil dade
AzB Gold Member
phil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-20-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danktrees View Post
if scott brings the score back to even then yes, but they're not keeping track by who wins more days, they're scoring who wins more games.
Are you watching? I am and have from day 1. IMO, Alex is a better shot maker, but Scott traps better. Scott, as i said earlier needs to mix it up from all power one pocket to the Artie python stragle and force more marginal shots from Alex which he will take. Scott has made too many unforced errors by forcing all power 1P.

Now he is still down 4 and they are on break.

Old
  (#190)
GaryB
AzB Silver Member
GaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2015, 06:32 PM

This is great!! But definitely not definitive. If one or the other had won the 8 ahead in 2 or 3 days in a dominating manner that would have been definitive. Whatever happens now would almost make a rematch a toss up. JMO

Alex is on the hill.
Old
  (#191)
JoeyA
Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
JoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyA has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

Alex is on the hill. - 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM

WOW! This has been some incredible play so far.

Will Alex win the first hill game?

7 ahead Alex......

JoeyA

"I would rather not deal with such questions, because it's like shearing a piglet—a lot of squealing and little wool."

Old
  (#192)
phil dade
AzB Gold Member
phil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond reputephil dade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-20-2015, 07:12 PM

on break, scott down 7, My last post may have been off by 1. Same on my other comments. Power 1P is neutralized by Alex, so mix it up, squeeze and suffocate an force errors, then run.

If they play another like this, I sat still u pick um

Old
  (#193)
benny-the-blade
AzB Silver Member
benny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond reputebenny-the-blade has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2015, 08:42 PM

All done!! The Lion takes it down!!

Old
  (#194)
Danktrees
RIP RS

06-20-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil dade View Post
Are you watching? I am and have from day 1. IMO, Alex is a better shot maker, but Scott traps better. Scott, as i said earlier needs to mix it up from all power one pocket to the Artie python stragle and force more marginal shots from Alex which he will take. Scott has made too many unforced errors by forcing all power 1P.

Now he is still down 4 and they are on break.

I've watched a large part of it yes. The end result is hard to dispute. Alex blasted him last time so they set this up to determine who's the best. Scott has been behind the whole match and even admitted he wanted to call it off for the night when he got back to even briefly. Both guys have had their runs and highlights but the end result is that Alex beat him again not to mention all the tourneys he has recently won. Scott is top notch one pocket player but clearly, at least right now, Alex is better. There can be no excuses, the match was set up this way to determine who is the best and Alex won after leading virtually the whole match. Yea Scott has made mistakes but Alex made a bunch of mistakes too especially on the second day that could have put him up more.

The point is in a long set like this, both guys will make mistakes and both will make good runs. The match was set up this way and agreed to by both guys to see who is better. With 50k on the line, neither guy wants to lose. Who else is going to beat Scott 8 ahead? End result is Alex won anything else is just an excuse.

EDIT: scott wanted to call it off for the night (not the match) on the 4th day after getting back to even.

8 and out

Last edited by Danktrees; 06-20-2015 at 09:07 PM.

definitive
Old
  (#195)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

definitive - 06-20-2015, 08:59 PM

I've posted < 300 times in 10 years. I don't feel strongly about much. But let me beat a dead horse here- this was ABSOLUTELY definitive.

I can understand how an intermediate player might see the play and the scores and infer it was close. It was NOT. Scott was NEVER a threat to win. EVER. And when Alex knows he's got a lock and will win, don't mistake his lack of urgency for lack of dominance. The only question was how long it would take.

Just my opinion here, but anyone that thinks this was close hasn't played big cash ahead sets.

Had this been a race to 50 Alex would've gotten an 8 game lead much more quickly.

By the way, if speed really mattered, just remember they were even yesterday at this time and Alex got 8 ahead since then. Scott got enough TV time to be satisfied, and Alex got tired of playing with his food.

Anyone that still thinks this is a toss up can get SICK odds from me if they play this format again.

Page 13 of 17 « First 3111213 1415 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: