APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
For those who haven't heard..sleinen on here was on an APA team (against his better judgement), and made a run all the way to the finals in the APA national 8 ball championship, only to get disqualified by the APA, all prize monies revoked, and a two year ban.Plus, apparently his League Operator gets a $25,000 fine?

For those who do not know Sean, he is exceedingly honest person, and would never sandbag under any circumstances. (I believe he is the highest rated player on the team anyways.. I believe him when he says that his team simply rose to the challenge and showed a lot of heart.

The APA is such a complete and utter joke.

-Shortbusruss

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I can't believe how many people play apa, with the hope to go to vegas. Cheaper just to go on their own.

Apa makes a ton of profit off its players, and doesn't pay out very much at year end.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who haven't heard..sleinen on here was on an APA team (against his better judgement), and made a run all the way to the finals in the APA national 8 ball championship, only to get disqualified by the APA, all prize monies revoked, and a two year ban.Plus, apparently his League Operator gets a $25,000 fine?

For those who do not know Sean, he is exceedingly honest person, and would never sandbag under any circumstances. (I believe he is the highest rated player on the team anyways.. I believe him when he says that his team simply rose to the challenge and showed a lot of heart.

The APA is such a complete and utter joke.

-Shortbusruss

More details are called for.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
More details are called for.

Yeah I’m very interested here. What was his skill level? How long in the APA and how did they decide that he’d somehow sandbagged?

I hate handicaps, I only lasted 2 sessions when I tried the APA. I get that they’re necessary for that league but they cause so many problems.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I'd rather have a goat perform a root-canal on me with a butter knife while being shit off a cliff than play league pool again.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What more is there to say? They "played too good" by some arbitrary APA standards, and the APA powers-that-be booted them out of the tournament.

You and I both know that isn’t the truth. The truth is much more simple. Stop trying to create drama and read the rule of the organization your bashing. Or the courts will see your words as slander.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
You and I both know that isn’t the truth. The truth is much more simple. Stop trying to create drama and read the rule of the organization your bashing. Or the courts will see your words as slander.

What's "the rule of the organization" your referring to?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

Are you calling sleinen a liar? He's pretty much the intellectual I interact most with on social media, and he told me that's the deal. I trust him more than I trust some troll on AZBilliards. People like you are why he doesn't post here any more. And the APA happened to overlook another player on one of the top 4 teams who showed up for (and played on) the stream drunk off their gourd....

Stop being combative. The POINT is... This team got booted out of the tournament.. No recourse. No prize money for the place they had achieved. The APA apparently doesn't have any concept of "rising to the occasion", so, what? Is every match supposed to be 100% random? Then why are they f**king playing pool for a title, then? Why not just charge every team their entry fee and just play rock, paper, scissors for the title? Or maybe flip coins?

I guess it is completely out of the realm of possibility that the team might have earned their spot, and then put in a concerted practice regimen to actually make a good attempt at WINNING. Any non-pro/semipro player can move their skill level up 50 Fargo points or more with a good few weeks of practice.

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know you're going to a big tournament in a month you're gonna put in a shit ton of table time right... gambling, drills, etc. Plus a tournament is a crazy different mindset than drunken Wednesday pool league. You're not hammered not just getting off work etc. I would assume a lot of people would look like they were playing over their head if you compared a tournament they were prepared for to their bar league play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's "the rule of the organization" you're referring to?
I'd like to know the rule as well. And whether the players know about it.

As for the goat/cliff/root canal thing, if anyone goes for that please, please get a video. You'll get a billion views. Oh, and make sure you have 593 independent witnesses sign the affidavit for Balls' sake.:wink:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I might be a little biased....I consider Sean an AZ friend...we’re in a small email group also.
....so I’m gonna slander away....APA screwed Sean.

...and those law suits are a two-way street....can APA justify THEIR decision?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As for the goat/cliff/root canal thing, if anyone goes for that please, please get a video. You'll get a billion views. Oh, and make sure you have 593 independent witnesses sign the affidavit for Balls' sake.:wink:

I guess I shouldn't be drinking coffee at 8pm because Bob just caused me to spit it out all over my tablet:eek:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA doesn’t have to:

Attachments

• 32D6D516-5E67-47EF-9733-E51349D760EC.jpeg
    32D6D516-5E67-47EF-9733-E51349D760EC.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,409

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Excellent.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
From memory, the APA only disqualifies a team after 2 players in their roster get raised above the starting handicap level.

During the tournament, if someone(s) is playing " too good" after a match, they are placed on watch for their next match. If they are determined to play "too good" again, then they get raised to the next level. If a second player gets raised, then the team is DQ'd.

So, that's the process. Is that what happened to Sean's team?

Eric

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you calling sleinen a liar? He's pretty much the intellectual I interact most with on social media, and he told me that's the deal. I trust him more than I trust some troll on AZBilliards. People like you are why he doesn't post here any more. And the APA happened to overlook another player on one of the top 4 teams who showed up for (and played on) the stream drunk off their gourd....

Stop being combative. The POINT is... This team got booted out of the tournament.. No recourse. No prize money for the place they had achieved. The APA apparently doesn't have any concept of "rising to the occasion", so, what? Is every match supposed to be 100% random? Then why are they f**king playing pool for a title, then? Why not just charge every team their entry fee and just play rock, paper, scissors for the title? Or maybe flip coins?

I guess it is completely out of the realm of possibility that the team might have earned their spot, and then put in a concerted practice regimen to actually make a good attempt at WINNING. Any non-pro/semipro player can move their skill level up 50 Fargo points or more with a good few weeks of practice.

It's a Valley barbox. Any AA player can break and run 10 racks. Ridiculous to ban anybody for good play.

There are maybe 10 guys who make a living off pool anymore. So calling every decent player a pro is a misnomer.

APA is killing pool. All they want is the Benjamin's. Paying back maybe 30% of the take, whoever plays it doesnt deserve better.