Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Reviews
Reload this Page Boriz Cues - Made in the Philippines
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
samiun
AzB Silver Member
samiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond reputesamiun has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-01-2012, 04:33 PM

My friend have two custom from there, but not Boriz cue. The cue bend in just 4 month at the forearm section near the joint of the butt, and another one that took another month to bend at the shaft. So I just suggesting you to choose the cue maker from there carefully.

Playing Cue: Mezz Axi w/ ExPro, Maycarella Custom Cue
Break Cue: Maycarella BlackBreaker, H-Nung D'Cue
Jump Cue: Maycarella, Predator Air 1st Gen
Case: 3x5 Mezz JPC Hardcase, 4x8 Maycarella Softcase,

Old
  (#17)
tpdtom
Really Old School
tpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond reputetpdtom has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to tpdtom  
07-19-2012, 02:55 AM

I spent 30 days in the Philippines in 2011, with much time spent visiting cuemakers. I highly recommend Tony Bautista for quality and a lotta bang for the buck. If you use a LD shaft a lot of your problems will be eliminated. I ordered a Mezz Alpha Hybrid shaft and Tony installed matching ringwork. The shaft was VERY pricey at $300 but it IS a top quality curly maple shaft. Just a bit stiff for my tastes but it would please many players.

Joyren here on AZ is a good, honest representative for Tony. Treated me like a brother. Great communication and many updates on progress. Everything to my specs and a computer generated design process...Tom

Richmond Cue
Old
  (#18)
dvs
AzB Silver Member
dvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond reputedvs has a reputation beyond repute

Richmond Cue - 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM

I bought a Rcihmond cue on ebay a couple years ago. Shipping was relatively fast. The shaft had a slight lift just below the ferule. I sent them pictures, and they send me a new shaft. The 2nd one rolled true as did the butt, i had to sent them other specs on the butt so the shaft rolled true also when screwed to the butt.

Overall a very solid cue and nice player.
As far as appearance and workmanship-it was beautiful. Nice feel and weight (obviously personal taste). It also came with matching joint protectors.

I played with it for a while, then moved to a different cue and a 314 shaft.

Cue was very attractive and I sold it for about what i paid for it.

Good luck, and help this helps.

Yes, I'd recommend Richmond cues due to their service and overall quality for the money.

Boriz cues
Old
  (#19)
SeoulCityDan
AzB Bronze Member
SeoulCityDan is on a distinguished road

Boriz cues - 11-08-2012, 09:29 PM

I bought a lot of 6 cues 2 at a time.
The first 2 were okay, but not great.
The inlay work was pretty good for the price.
They hit relatively well but unremarkable
The shafts are absolute garbage and 5 out the 6 were noticeably warped
1 had a crooked screw joint
4 out of the 6 came with shafts that were made of some unknown odd colored wood and hit like garbage. 4 out of the 6 also had warped butts.
They advertise "bidding on the picture shown" on eBay and 13mm tip and on one another site they advertise "one of a kind design" and " rolls perfectly straight (not twisted like other seller's cues)", 58.5 inches.
All of this is untrue and unethical for them to claim such things.
Imagine my surprise when I took these out of the parcel package and looked at them. Also a lifetime warranty on the shaft for $20.00 to just get another warped shaft is just plain ignorant. I contacted the seller to rectify the issues and have gotten no response...big surprise there.
I would NOT recommend these cues unless you have a cold winter and need some good kindling for the fireplace.
There are plenty of American cue makes and models, namely McDermott, that are much better in value and especially quality. No I am not a McDermott rep.

Boriz review
Old
  (#20)
SeoulCityDan
AzB Bronze Member
SeoulCityDan is on a distinguished road

Boriz review - 11-28-2012, 11:53 PM

I had so many problems with the shipping and tracking of these cues from the seller as well. They also offered me a full refund but I had to pay to ship them back??!!

Last edited by SeoulCityDan; 11-28-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Old
  (#21)
Inferno
AzB Silver Member
Inferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond reputeInferno has a reputation beyond repute

01-01-2013, 10:34 PM

I own a Boriz cue. #1268 if memory serves me.

I've had it for at least 5 years and it has NOT warped at all.
But, when I bought it I knew it was a cheap cue so I didn't really worry about it.

I love the MoP inlays but they aren't perfect by any means. At 5 feet this is an awesome looking cue and that's what I use it as, a looker.

As for the review. You can tell the butt isn't a dense wood. Despite the weight being pretty good, the overall feel of it is a hollow, empty core. There's no "heart" to the cue. It's dead inside.

As for the shaft. Yes, it's heavily varnished. That was the first thing I noticed when it arrived. And that varnish can be sanded pretty easy after it cures for a while (6mo). But with the varnish you either need a glove or lots of baby powder.

But, for the price they go for ($60 or so), it's a decent cue. Definitely better than the walmart crap.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't pet the sweaty things.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I only discuss politics with idiots!

Boriz-Philipino cues
Old
  (#22)
USOpenPlayer
AzB Bronze Member
USOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond reputeUSOpenPlayer has a reputation beyond repute

Boriz-Philipino cues - 10-04-2019, 06:54 AM

Ive bought about 12 cues from there. Got 2 that are still ok and play fine and haven't warped.. The rest I had to sell at a auction for 125.00 ea due to warpage and inlays lifting. I bought these cues when they were 99.00 delivered...good deal for what they are. Even a junk already warped cue at your local department store like Meijer's is 60.00 to 80.00. Just ask questions. Fancy cue for cheap....just put another shaft on it.

Old
  (#23)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2019, 05:04 PM

I owned one Philippine cue from one of their higher end makers- Joel Davidas- the cue looked great, and it was not cheap- over $600- but when I compared it to U.S custom cues that I own- you can Clearly see where they fall short overseas there in the finer points of cue making. My problem mostly was the shafts were not tapered correctly at all and left at about 13.5 to 14mm- maybe to keep them from warping too much- I don't know- and the ferrules/tips were horrendous. I retapered the shafts and changed out the front ends- it played very decently at that point. i would imagine if you add an aftermarket predator shaft it will play fine. I ended up selling mine at a loss- I paid too much based on the looks of the cue- lesson learned. I would not buy another PI cue- now that woman in my Avatar is Filipina- those you can depend on!

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: