Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page UP Big Boy train..................

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
UP Big Boy train..................
Old
  (#1)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Thumbs up UP Big Boy train.................. - 11-15-2019, 07:48 AM

If you live anywhere near this route you really outta go see this beast. One of the largest steam locomotives ever built is back on the tracks. Impressive doesn't begin to describe this machine. https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm A little taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztHvPfYWtXo&t=88s

Last edited by garczar; 11-15-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

11-15-2019, 07:52 AM

That is a shitton of iron and steel.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I dont know much, I'm just a flea along for the ride.
Yep. Sev is smarter than you all.--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-15-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
That is a shitton of iron and steel.
With the tender its over 130ft. long and weighs 1.25 MILLION pounds. Can go over 80mph. Crazy.

Old
  (#4)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

11-15-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
With the tender its over 130ft. long and weighs 1.25 MILLION pounds. Can go over 80mph. Crazy.
Be good for a game of chicken.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

I dont know much, I'm just a flea along for the ride.
Yep. Sev is smarter than you all.--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

awesome!
Old
  (#5)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

awesome! - 11-15-2019, 03:49 PM

I used to watch the trains pass in front of my house. Of course counting cars was a must when my age was in single digits. The rare steam train was a treat! The old farm I am on now still has coal boxes in the barn. Salvaging the coal along the tracks was a longstanding tradition around here. The old tracks were lifted and new tracks laid on the same right of way so we can see exactly where the old tracks were, just follow the new ones! There are also tracks through the swamps and wetlands, trains were often the most efficient way to get the huge cypress trees to market.

I have kept up with the monster steam engines for a long time. I thought there was a big boy or similar in the UK too, I was thinking it was a big boy. Anyway, monster steam engines fascinate people everywhere! Any time the wheels are as tall or taller than a man it is a beast of an engine.

Hu

Old
  (#6)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Sof to comment on the exhaust in 5...4...3...2....

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow idiotic comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#7)
Slide Rule
NPR Commies Garbage Skum
Slide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond reputeSlide Rule has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
I used to watch the trains pass in front of my house. Of course counting cars was a
must when my age was in single digits. The rare steam train was a treat! The old
farm I am on now still has coal boxes in the barn. Salvaging the coal along the tracks
was a longstanding tradition around here. The old tracks were lifted and new tracks
laid on the same right of way so we can see exactly where the old tracks were, just
follow the new ones! There are also tracks through the swamps and wetlands, trains
were often the most efficient way to get the huge cypress trees to market.

I have kept up with the monster steam engines for a long time. I thought there was a
big boy or similar in the UK too, I was thinking it was a big boy. Anyway, monster
steam engines fascinate people everywhere! Any time the wheels are as tall or taller
than a man it is a beast of an engine.

Hu
The Henry Ford – Museum, Greenfield Village, has a large and wonderful
collection of railroad engines. Huge engines used in the west for logging.

Wheels are at least 12 feet in diameter. The museum collection contains the
presidential limousine of John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln's chair from Ford's
Theatre, Thomas Edison's laboratory, the Wright Brothers' bicycle shop, the
Rosa Parks bus, and many other historical exhibits.

The museum itself is worth the trip for all-day viewing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Henry_Ford

Old
  (#8)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

Yesterday, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post
I used to watch the trains pass in front of my house. Of course counting cars was a must when my age was in single digits. The rare steam train was a treat! The old farm I am on now still has coal boxes in the barn. Salvaging the coal along the tracks was a longstanding tradition around here. The old tracks were lifted and new tracks laid on the same right of way so we can see exactly where the old tracks were, just follow the new ones! There are also tracks through the swamps and wetlands, trains were often the most efficient way to get the huge cypress trees to market.

I have kept up with the monster steam engines for a long time. I thought there was a big boy or similar in the UK too, I was thinking it was a big boy. Anyway, monster steam engines fascinate people everywhere! Any time the wheels are as tall or taller than a man it is a beast of an engine.

Hu
These were only used in the western U.S. It was designed to haul heavy freight up over the Wasatch range. The largest steam loco ever used in the UK wasn't even half as powerful. Its great that UP re-built this and is using it again.

Old
  (#9)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, 09:57 AM

No doubt a powerful engine. But why the diesel/electric coupled to it?

Do they shut down the boilers through timber country to avoid errant sparks?
Limit emissions through towns?
Climb grades at a reasonable pace?
More effecient braking?

All of the above?

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#10)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
No doubt a powerful engine. But why the diesel/electric coupled to it?

Do they shut down the boilers through timber country to avoid errant sparks?
Limit emissions through towns?
Climb grades at a reasonable pace?
More effecient braking?

All of the above?
This is its first really long run since overhaul. Most likely the DE is there in case there's a major problem. It runs on oil so the sparks are not an issue. Might send UP a msg to get an exact answer.

Old
  (#11)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

Yesterday, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
This is its first really long run since overhaul. Most likely the DE is there in case there's a major problem. It runs on oil so the sparks are not an issue. Might send UP a msg to get an exact answer.
Did a quik search. Said its for reliability issues and improved braking.

Old
  (#12)
jimmyco
NRA4Life
jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, 04:36 PM

Cool. Thanks.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#13)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Up close...look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJEHfsebRgs

dumluk

Old
  (#14)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

Thumbs up Yesterday, 06:38 PM

I went and saw this beast today. UN-freakin-real. People EVERYWHERE to see it. The sound of that horn was just awesome. When they were greasing it it just sat and hissed like some damn monster. Wayyy too cool.

Old
  (#15)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

Yesterday, 10:40 PM

my hometown in Nevada has several old steam locomotives they also let you learn to drive one if you have the $$$ but rides are cheap

Summers the train gets robbed

Halloween the trains are haunted

Christmas they do polar express

the full tour of a working late 19 early 20th century railyard

https://www.nnry.com/pages/trainride...oaAkOLEALw_wcB

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: