Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page Uni-Lock Quick Release or Radial Pins?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-17-2019, 03:44 PM

I install whatever pin or insert the customer wants when it`s a repair job, as long as I have the tooling and pins/insert they ask for.
But for my own stuff I offer the kinds of pins I have carbide sanding mandrels for.
Uni-Loc is popular, so I have no problem offering that pin option, even though it`s not my personal prefrence.
I also find Uni-Loc pins much easier to install with a router and a long 5/32" / 4mm end mill.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Old
  (#17)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2019, 04:17 PM

As the creator of both the Radial and the Uniloc perhaps I should explain why I came up with the ideas.

The Uniloc was invented to provide a simpler and more precise pin that the 5/16- 18 and 5/16-14 that were being used at that time . Speed had nothing to do with it.

The Radial was developed to replace the 3/8-10 pin that I also created so the I would have a more precise pin that fit directly into the wood of the shaft without so much slop.

Both designs seem to have been a success with a lot of players and cuemakers.

I have played for years with both designs and really can't tell much difference in how they affect the play of a cue. There are way too many other factors to consider.

Bill Stroud

Old
  (#18)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-17-2019, 05:30 PM

I certainly like all three of those pins( thank you) and I found ways to snug up the 3/8 10.

Hope you are doing well.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Old
  (#19)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcues View Post
I certainly like all three of those pins( thank you) and I found ways to snug up the 3/8 10.

Hope you are doing well.

Mario
Easiest way to have a snug 3/8x10 is to start with the right hole and tap for the screw.

Name:  IMG_20191018_004601.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  105.1 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#20)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...
Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

10-18-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
As the creator of both the Radial and the Uniloc perhaps I should explain why I came up with the ideas.

The Uniloc was invented to provide a simpler and more precise pin that the 5/16- 18 and 5/16-14 that were being used at that time . Speed had nothing to do with it.

The Radial was developed to replace the 3/8-10 pin that I also created so the I would have a more precise pin that fit directly into the wood of the shaft without so much slop.

Both designs seem to have been a success with a lot of players and cuemakers.

I have played for years with both designs and really can't tell much difference in how they affect the play of a cue. There are way too many other factors to consider.

Bill Stroud

Old
  (#21)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

10-18-2019, 04:51 PM

No joint screw configuration spins as true as the Uniloc QR.

Old
  (#22)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Smile 10-19-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Easiest way to have a snug 3/8x10 is to start with the right hole and tap for the screw.

Attachment 532324

Gee whizzz Mike you gave away the answer. LOL

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Old
  (#23)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcues View Post
Gee whizzz Mike you gave away the answer. LOL

Mario
Right! I have to stop doing that here!!!

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#24)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 05:36 AM

Mike,

Not to be nit-picky but any V-form thread will out of necessity have more clearance (slop) than the Radial thread.

Without clearance it would not screw together.

Bill S.

Old
  (#25)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

10-20-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Mike,

Not to be nit-picky but any V-form thread will out of necessity have more clearance (slop) than the Radial thread.

Without clearance it would not screw together.

Bill S.

Hello Sir
All good but you don't need a hole .312 for a screw with a .281 minor. So I had Widell make the correct tap for the screws being produced without tearing in a smaller hole. The flip side would be, switching to the modified 3/8x10 and making myself new sanding mandrells to accomodate it. I don't see a need to switch. I offer all 3 screws you designed. Schmelke offered some 3/8x10 screws where the pitch wasn't as deep to accomodate the tap being sold. 5/16x14 was another screw with many changes to it, not counting the acme you offered in your cues. I have 4 taps for the 5/16x14 to match up with those. Mali and Schuler around .298x14. Schick and It's George. Paradise, Schons. You know, it doesn't end. All those years of my working Tournaments, it was beneficial for me to have the right tooling. In the case of Schulers. I had blank inserts made with a 3/8" long 9/16 head because of the pilot. Worked well for the Paradise joint also.
It doesn't end.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Last edited by Michael Webb; 10-20-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Old
  (#26)
Sheldon
dontneednostinkintitle
Sheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

One of the nice things about the Radial setup is the tap. The follower at the end of the tap ensures that the threads are straight. I DO NOT trust regular taps, They can wander. If I cut 3/8-10 or other V threads, I rely on live tooling, because it's far more precise.

Don't Waive Your Rights With Your Flags ~ Sage Francis

Old
  (#27)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the quick release joints are goofy?
The only thing they are good for is getting the hell out of dodge in milliseconds.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#28)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 09:59 PM

Quick release cues are convenient. But they do come loose during play. My experience is not often. When it does, it doesnít affect the shot much but it affects your psyche a lot. Once they get it right, criticizing them will be like criticizing power locks, power windows and cruise control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: