Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Accessory reviews
Reload this Page Ultraskin Tip Review>>>Soft-Medium-Hard
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average.
HH and VS review
Old
  (#31)
mattb
AzB Silver Member
mattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond reputemattb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

HH and VS review - 10-16-2013, 04:37 PM

I put the HH on a Gilbert JB that had a Samsara before. I like the way it holds chalk and gives extra control, which is what I was looking for, but the "pop" is gone. It needs to be a touch harder or maybe I should have pressed it before the install. I will tinker with it. Maybe hit a few hundred racks or whittle it down a tad to see if I can get what I am looking for. The upside is that JB now plays fantastic.

I removed a S and had a VS installed on my gilbert player for a test. Both are very close in feel for me. I like it for games like 9 or 8 ball. If it hardens up just a touch like the S did, it may be perfect.

10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

I was arrested and the judge said life in prison, or you can join an APA league. I wish now that I had taken the prison term.

Old
  (#32)
timothysoong
★★★★★★★★★★★★
timothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond reputetimothysoong has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2013, 01:04 AM

Tried all the tips. VS, S, M, H, HH

They are all easy to install and they all holds chalk very well and grabs the cue ball pretty well too.

Tho, I could barely tell the difference between the VS and S.

Timothy Soong
TS's Billiard Supply
ts.billiardsupply@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------
Player: Tim Scruggs
Break Cue: Mezz Power Break 1
Jump Cue: Predator Air Drive 2
------------------------------------------------------------
Favorite tip: Thoroughbred Tips
My simple lathe setup: youtu.be/DCp7Ez-G4og

Old
  (#33)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

I ordered some stuff from Seybert's and I needed to spend about six more dollars to get the free shipping, so I said "what the heck" and ordered an Ultraskin medium tip to make my order total $50. I finally got around to installing it on one of my custom cues the other day...and WOW, what a pleasant surprise! That tip is the best tip I have ever bought for the money ($6.95). Installed easily, plays great, holds chalk well, and so far, maintains its shape well. I refuse to say how well it moves the cue ball around...because personally, that's a matter of one's proficiency of the skills involved, but I will say that I was overly happy with the performance of this tip. I am definitely going to be buying and using a lot more of these tips in the future!!!

Great product!!! Five out of five stars!!!

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Last edited by Maniac; 02-24-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Old
  (#34)
TakeAflyer
AzB Silver Member
TakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2014, 04:06 PM

so the pro tip is softer than the VS . I'm using a S right now and seems a little hard for me . I wanted to order 10 i was thinking of getting 5 of both. but i want the softer of the two

Last edited by TakeAflyer; 02-24-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: s

Old
  (#35)
TomHay
Best Tips For Less
TomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond repute

02-24-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAflyer View Post
so the pro tip is softer than the VS . I'm using a S right now and seems a little hard for me . I wanted to order 10 i was thinking of getting 5 of both. but i want the softer of the two
The PRO is very unique. The Feel is like a Medium, the grip and juice is like a super soft.

If the soft "Feels" hard to you the VS might be a better fit.

The Price you need, the proven quality your customer deserves
Tom Hay
Email - Tcue@aol.com
Playing Cue - Custom 1999 RT 8 Point
Web Site - Layered Pool Cue Tips

UltraSkinLayered Layered Cue Tips AZ Member
Discounted Prices All USA States click banner below
and SIGN UP NOW for your discounts

Layered Cue Tips Video

Old
  (#36)
rhatten
AzB Silver Member
rhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond reputerhatten has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-25-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHay View Post
The PRO is very unique. The Feel is like a Medium, the grip and juice is like a super soft.

+1 for the Pros... preferred

Randy

Old
  (#37)
BHQ
we'll miss you
BHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond reputeBHQ has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHay View Post
Did anyone get a chance to try the HH yet? Opinions?
i have tom
only 2 so far
havent heard anything from either person
soooooooo..... no news is good news

Old
  (#38)
TakeAflyer
AzB Silver Member
TakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond reputeTakeAflyer has a reputation beyond repute

02-25-2014, 07:22 PM

Okay thanks i like your tips only heard great things about them ill be ordering sum

Review of install and customer comments
Old
  (#39)
Seeds230
AzB Bronze Member
Seeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond reputeSeeds230 has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up Review of install and customer comments - 05-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Before I start, a little back ground; I started installing tips for myself and friends 3 years ago, and we all used triangles or elk masters. Last year I decided to try the layered tips and a shop I stopped in to ask about them had 2 snipers and installed them while I tried out some break cues. Last month I decided it was time to replace one of them because it was getting a little thin. When studying up on installing layered tips after it arrived I read about the ultra skins, thought its worth the price to try.

I just received an order of 12 tips two weeks ago. That week I Installed a vs for a player that wanted " the softest tip you have." The tip was easier to install than the triangle and elk master tips. When it came to shaping with a razor knife, I was surprised at the lack of deflection in the tip, when compared to the sniper tip I'd done the week before on my personal cue. The sniper was the first layered tip I've installed myself, and I ordered it out of familiarity before I'd read about the ultra skins.

The customer came to me with a tip-less shaft after our next league night, causing my heart to sink, before stating he loves the vs tip and this shaft was for his wife's cue, and she wanted a soft. Installation of the soft was a little smoother feel than the vs, and I'm starting to hope more people will ask for the ultra skins.

This week, one of my team mates, (our anchor that is shooting lights out) asked if he could have a pro-soft after we discussed the previous installs. The leather in this tip cut and shaped like a dream for this rookie installer. He hasn't had the opportunity to shoot with it yet, but if it feels as good shooting as it did cutting, his review may lead to me placing a large order soon. ( he's very outgoing about gear, a solid shooter, and a hi review from him could lead to people jumping to try an affordable layered tip)

I believe the biggest reason for the installs getting progressively smoother is the gradual improvement in my abilities, as the tips layers all appear to be of high quality and consistency.

Just the way these tips feel when installing has lead to my decision to cut the sniper off my back-up shaft, even though it would probably last the summer, and try a pro soft myself.

I will post a follow up on my experience, as well as customer feed back when I can run into them and ask what their thoughts are.

Old
  (#40)
ZeroSkylineX
AzB Silver Member
ZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond reputeZeroSkylineX has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2015, 03:05 AM

Just installed an Ultraskin medium on my shaft, got rid of my Kamui medium black but left the clear pad on. Never seen anyone else do this before and figured I'd share, results turned out great. No one can tell the difference now haha.
Attached Images

Cues
Playing Cues
OB-136
11.75mm OB Pro+ Shaft / Ultraskin Hard tip / 19oz

Viking
11.75mm OB Pro+ Custom Shaft / Ultraskin Hard tip / 19oz

Old
  (#41)
Busboy
Wanna Play Some?
Busboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond reputeBusboy has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2015, 08:48 PM

I've got one on my shaft now like the way it plays but it keeps mushrooming not sure if the tip is just to soft for me or if maybe I got bad one idk I've heard nothing but good things hints why I got one anyone have this happen? I was told it was a med

Player - Predator
Jump - Custom
Break- Bunji

"Billiards is the well developed art of thinking ahead. Its not only a game, but first and foremost a demanding sport, which requires good stamina, the logical thinking of a chess player, and the stable hand of a concert pianist."

Old
  (#42)
whammo57
Kim Walker
whammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond reputewhammo57 has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobba786 View Post
I received some ultraskin tips some weeks ago.
They are easy to install.
I have played with both hard and medium. I don't feel much difference between medium and hard. I normally play with tiger onyx tip, and there is no big difference - only the price being nicer on Tom Hay's tips.

The only problem I have had was with the soft tip. I installed it on a friends cue, and it popped off after 2-3 hours. This is the first tip I have installed since I started using Tiger CA glue, that has popped off. I have installed about 30 tips since I got that glue, and before that it did also only happen once with a moori tip after long time of play, and the tip was pretty worn down (same persons cue). I did install the tip just like I always do sanding off to roughen the backside of the tip, apply glue, waiting for at least two hours, cutting the tip and sanding on lathe. I guess I was just unlucky. Have to mention that the same person also managed to break a no-collar shaft some months ago. Any ideas?
Sand the tip and then prep it with CA thin.... dab off the excess and hit it with kicker.... lightly sand and install as usual............it won't pop off

Kim...................

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/

Real reviews from the people who use them
Old
  (#43)
TomHay
Best Tips For Less
TomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond reputeTomHay has a reputation beyond repute

Real reviews from the people who use them - 06-07-2016, 02:30 PM

I think this is about 4 pages long, enjoy

The Price you need, the proven quality your customer deserves
Tom Hay
Email - Tcue@aol.com
Playing Cue - Custom 1999 RT 8 Point
Web Site - Layered Pool Cue Tips

UltraSkinLayered Layered Cue Tips AZ Member
Discounted Prices All USA States click banner below
and SIGN UP NOW for your discounts

Layered Cue Tips Video

Old
  (#44)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2016, 02:30 AM

So, I've put a Ultrakins M on my R360 on the weekend.

I was a bit disappointed - it was considerably harder than a Tiger Onyx (which I already consider as a harder medium). Shaping was also a bit hard due to it being very very hard for my taste (I shaped a Onyx a few weeks before with the same tools).
For me, I needed to sand with an 80 and then a 120 and cut some grooves in for the super glue gel to work properly.

Please don't get me wrong:
- Each layer is very consistent and the leather is of high quality
- There are a lot of layers to work through - it will last a long time
- It's very black
- Surface after shaping and roughing up is just like you would image one to be, very nice
- It holds chalk very well
- Sidewall can be polished up easily
- Feedback is nice, like an Onyx but less springy and very direct

Is there a chance of softening it up a bit?

Cheers,
M

Old
  (#45)
gregnice37
Bar Banger, Cue Collector
gregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond reputegregnice37 has a reputation beyond repute

06-22-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.G. View Post
So, I've put a Ultrakins M on my R360 on the weekend.

I was a bit disappointed - it was considerably harder than a Tiger Onyx (which I already consider as a harder medium). Shaping was also a bit hard due to it being very very hard for my taste (I shaped a Onyx a few weeks before with the same tools).
For me, I needed to sand with an 80 and then a 120 and cut some grooves in for the super glue gel to work properly.

Please don't get me wrong:
- Each layer is very consistent and the leather is of high quality
- There are a lot of layers to work through - it will last a long time
- It's very black
- Surface after shaping and roughing up is just like you would image one to be, very nice
- It holds chalk very well
- Sidewall can be polished up easily
- Feedback is nice, like an Onyx but less springy and very direct

Is there a chance of softening it up a bit?

Cheers,
M
Try the pro. I've switched to them on every shaft

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: