Old
  (#16)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-28-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
wheres the dvd of his run ,should be out by now....
IMO, if its to late for John, well, Mosconi was a has been 60+ years ago.

We all know Willie was no has been just weeks, months, years....hell....even DECADES after his 526 run.....so:

I'm pretty sure John has plenty of time.

Sure, the sooner, the better but, 65 years is a hell of a lot longer than a year or so.

Come on folks, is everyone here a "gotta have it now" type?

I'm willing to wait. I have a feeling we wont be disappointed.

Just pretend the 526 still stands and then watch the vid when it does come out.

<<<<<<<< don't understand all the complaints.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#17)
ricardo
AzB Bronze Member
ricardo is on a distinguished road

07-28-2019, 09:18 PM

I can't wait to buy and see the DVD. I'm a little bias since he broke the record on my favorite table at EZ Street Billiards. Been playing there since mid 90's.

Also, I was just there last week and talking to my buddy who was there the day he broke the record and I CANNOT wait to see in video how exactly he broke Mosconi's record. The story my buddy told me, if it's true, should make it worth it for anyone buying the DVD.

Old
  (#18)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

07-28-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCity View Post
Its just my opinion, but I think the mistake is trying to make money off of the video footage itself. There will be a very limited number of people willing to pay to watch it to begin with.

The money to be made from the achievement is in self promotion, clinics, etc. 'Come let Mr 626 show you how to increase your run' kind of thing.

Holding out for monetary reasons is only shooting himself in the foot, and as you mentioned decreasing the number of people willing to pay for a dvd or stream.
^What he said..

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
HOW TO RUN RACKS IN 14.1 - Livestreamed with 103 run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnCaoYpzaM

Old
  (#19)
4pointer
AzB Silver Member
4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute4pointer has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
People waited 65 years for this run, they can wait a little longer. How could anyone really believe this? What a joke!

The moment has passed and the buzz is long gone after nine weeks. Only the 14.1 diehards will have any interest in seeing this run now, and my guess is that even they are growing weary of waiting and that their interest is waning.

Shame for John, for he deserved better on the occasion of this historic achievement, but it's old news now.
well said sjm ,
very sad but true .
keep in stroke everybody

Old
  (#20)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.
there are several very cheap screen recording software`s available that can record the dvd from a pc, that you can make a dvd from the file

or just copy the file itself and watch from a usb, most dvd players now have usb connections
so protection from it being copied is not much he can do about it

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Last edited by Texas Carom Club; 07-29-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Old
  (#21)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
IMO, if its to late for John, well, Mosconi was a has been 60+ years ago.

We all know Willie was no has been just weeks, months, years....hell....even DECADES after his 526 run.....so:

I'm pretty sure John has plenty of time.

Sure, the sooner, the better but, 65 years is a hell of a lot longer than a year or so.

Come on folks, is everyone here a "gotta have it now" type?

I'm willing to wait. I have a feeling we wont be disappointed.

Just pretend the 526 still stands and then watch the vid when it does come out.

<<<<<<<< don't understand all the complaints.
Willie Mosconi was a household name before his run, to pool players and non-pool players alike. I, personally, don't see his run as being among his greatest achievements and I seriously doubt that (if DVDs had been around back then) a DVD of his run would have been a big seller in his or any other era, but name recognition might have made it possible. Perhaps a slogan "watch the greatest pool player ever on his greatest ever day" might have enticed a few non-enthusiasts. Guess we'll never know.

The straight pool era is 35 years in the rear view mirror now. Neither the game of 14.1 nor John Schmidt's name are well known. Not John's fault. He made the grade with his historic run, but did so in a game rarely played anymore.

I'd really like to be wrong here, and hope that John makes a wad of money from this. Time will tell. I agree that the serious diehard fans should be patient, and if that's the only market John hopes to reach, the delay isn't doing any real damage, but the boost he got in name recognition when his run was reported in the NY Times is wearing off a little every day.

Mosconi never had the problem of fading name recognition in his day. Not only was he incredibly well known, but he toured the country year round doing exhibitions in America's poolrooms. He was like a rock band that toured the country to make sure their music was always on people's minds.

Comparing Schmidt to Mosconi is apples and oranges. Two truly phenomenal players with little in common.

Old
  (#22)
tucson9ball
AzB Silver Member
tucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond reputetucson9ball has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 175

07-29-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Willie Mosconi was a household name before his run, to pool players and non-pool players alike. I, personally, don't see his run as being among his greatest achievements and I seriously doubt that (if DVDs had been around back then) a DVD of his run would have been a big seller in his or any other era, but name recognition might have made it possible. Perhaps a slogan "watch the greatest pool player ever on his greatest ever day" might have enticed a few non-enthusiasts. Guess we'll never know.

The straight pool era is 35 years in the rear view mirror now. Neither the game of 14.1 nor John Schmidt's name are well known. Not John's fault. He made the grade with his historic run, but did so in a game rarely played anymore.

I'd really like to be wrong here, and hope that John makes a wad of money from this. Time will tell. I agree that the serious diehard fans should be patient, and if that's the only market John hopes to reach, the delay isn't doing any real damage, but the boost he got in name recognition when his run was reported in the NY Times is wearing off a little every day.

Mosconi never had the problem of fading name recognition in his day. Not only was he incredibly well known, but he toured the country year round doing exhibitions in America's poolrooms. He was like a rock band that toured the country to make sure their music was always on people's minds.

Comparing Schmidt to Mosconi is apples and oranges. Two truly phenomenal players with little in common.
SJM,

Agree completely. I think if John really wanted to capitalize on his accomplishment, he should have started doing 14.1 clinics all over the country. He could have gotten many players interested in improving their games.
I think the longer he waits, less people will show interest. JMHO

Chris

Old
  (#23)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 10:03 AM

For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.

Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.

Old
  (#24)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

For me if I want to see a 600 ball run, I just go to YouTube and watch

6 different videos of at least 100 balls run in each.

Good enough for me.

I have no interest in watching the edited big one.

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#25)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Every day he doesn't put the run on YouTube he and his sponsors lose more money.

Old
  (#26)
shinobi
kanadajindayo
shinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
This is not rocket science. You make a DVD, you protect its contents and you encrypt it so it can't be copied. If you do all these things only the Chinese will knock it off. But at least you can still sell copies to the rest of the world.
I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.

Old
  (#27)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
07-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi View Post
I'd prefer a high definition video on demand or similar. No need for a physical DVD, which is standard definition and easily copied by anyone, despite your head-scratching remark about encryption. Even 15 years ago there were free utilities such as "DVD Shrink" that copied encrypted DVDs effortlessly.
Oi!
We're pool players, not computer rocket doctors!

Old
  (#28)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 12:29 PM

I get the monetary value side of things, but what him and his team should have done was sell the unedit raw cut DVD version literally the same week he broke it. Sell it for $10 as there was a lot of eagerness to see it. After that subsided, go back in, sell an upscaled HD commentary track version of it and do it for $30 to $40.

But no, they want to get accreditation first from the BCA, like their accreditation even matters these days.

Old
  (#29)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Ralf View Post
I get the monetary value side of things, but what him and his team should have done was sell the unedit raw cut DVD version literally the same week he broke it. Sell it for $10 as there was a lot of eagerness to see it. After that subsided, go back in, sell an upscaled HD commentary track version of it and do it for $30 to $40.

But no, they want to get accreditation first from the BCA, like their accreditation even matters these days.
is that what the hold up is?

Old
  (#30)
shinobi
kanadajindayo
shinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Oi!
We're pool players, not computer rocket doctors!
Would you prefer VHS, or have you upgraded to Sony Betamax?

Page 2 of 97 12 341252 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: