Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page APA screwed our very own sleinen out of a national championship
Page 36 of 36 « First 26343536

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#526)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-17-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Evil? Folks like to shoot pool, that can't be evil, can it ? lol

Seriously, you can only play in your basement so many times, or play the same buddy, over and over. League are good for business, and good for recruiting folks to the sport. No different than a softball league. Folks like to be active and compete at stuff they like.

If no leagues, how the hell is the sport going to grow. Folks that only own a table in their basement don't really contribute much to the sport other than that first purchase. heck, they might not even buy magic chalk after that lol
So very evil. The other day I had to drive through my old stomping grounds in Baltimore to get to the green room. This was a trying experience to put it mildly. Then when I get there to meet some folks they say all the tables are reserved for some APA event and they consigned me...ME...to play on one of 4 disastrously kept coin operated tables which were perched higher than the rest of the floor as if to emphasize and put on display our unenviable circumstance of outsider-ness.

It was sickening and obviously the work of some foul religious phsyconaut. Not to mention the whole place was filled with nothing but Valleys! Who does that?? I nearly had an appendicitis when I walked in.

Now you might be saying to yourself "But Mr. Chef, you could've called ahead and checked for evil leagues using the tables"

But the place didn't open, and no one would answer phones, before 6 o'clock. The appointed meeting time and so I had to start my journey blind and hope against hope that the room wouldn't be filled with people alternately sacrificing babies and shouting MARK IT UP! With a twisted grin. 20% of them holding pencils and asking "was that defense?" To every person that walked by.

And did I mention I had to pay a toll on my way back? After spending probably 5 bucks in quarters.

Old
  (#527)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-17-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
ey

The appointed meeting time and so I had to start my journey blind and hope against hope that the room wouldn't be filled with people alternately sacrificing babies and shouting MARK IT UP! With a twisted grin. 20% of them holding pencils and asking "was that defense?" To every person that walked by.
That's funny right there even if you are a fan of the APA.

Let me relate my story of a recent happening in my wife's local APA league.

She had played for three consecutive sessions in the Arlington (TX) APA 8-ball league as a SL3, winning about 50 to 60% of her matches during that time. She accumulates a normal amount of innings during her matches for her skill level. She lays off a session then goes over to Tarrant County APA 8-ball league, begins as a SL3, loses her first match of the session to a SL4 3 games to 1 and the next week goes up to a SL4.

I cannot explain it.

APA in St. Louis cannot possibly look at her scoresheet for her first match and determine that she shot well enough in her one game she won (in which her opponent missed the 8-ball and left my wife an easy shot). I think that particular game went four innings.

Now, being as how my wife's opponent won the other three games (he was up 2-0 when my wife won her only game and he was the missed 8-ball away from a rackless night), how is it any fault of my wife to be able to control the amount of innings in the three games she lost? As far as St. Louis (National headquarters where all scoresheets are sent for skill level assessment) knows, my wife may have never made a ball in the three games she lost.

I only relate this story to give my opinion of how broken the APA scoring system can be at times. I believe in the APA, but only consider it as an alternate way to get out of the house and mingle with some friends, have a drink or two, and shoot a bit of pool. I simply cannot take it seriously.

FWIW, my wife has lost both her matches since being raised and has no confidence she will win another match as a SL4. Time will tell, but I can honestly say that she's got a tough patch of road ahead of her until she goes back down.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Last edited by Maniac; 09-17-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Old
  (#528)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member

sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
But an excellent working system when done properly
Here is where we part ways.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#529)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
Here is where we part ways.
Yes we do, as I do with most that not fans of the APA.
I certainly see your side of this, we just happen to disagree

Old
  (#530)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So very evil. The other day I had to drive through my old stomping grounds in Baltimore to get to the green room. This was a trying experience to put it mildly. Then when I get there to meet some folks they say all the tables are reserved for some APA event and they consigned me...ME...to play on one of 4 disastrously kept coin operated tables which were perched higher than the rest of the floor as if to emphasize and put on display our unenviable circumstance of outsider-ness.

It was sickening and obviously the work of some foul religious phsyconaut. Not to mention the whole place was filled with nothing but Valleys! Who does that?? I nearly had an appendicitis when I walked in.

Now you might be saying to yourself "But Mr. Chef, you could've called ahead and checked for evil leagues using the tables"

But the place didn't open, and no one would answer phones, before 6 o'clock. The appointed meeting time and so I had to start my journey blind and hope against hope that the room wouldn't be filled with people alternately sacrificing babies and shouting MARK IT UP! With a twisted grin. 20% of them holding pencils and asking "was that defense?" To every person that walked by.

And did I mention I had to pay a toll on my way back? After spending probably 5 bucks in quarters.
Yes, The Green Room. Dundalk maryland. Home to about 120 in house APA teams. Well kept valley's, except for the 4 coin ops that you played on. No body really cares about them. Also home to Charlie's pro shop, arguably the best pro shop in the country. It's a great pool hall with some very good players that play there

Old
  (#531)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:

LOL. That's life. Remember as a teenager, we'd go to the bowling alley, and guess what, we could not bowl because of leagues. It only took about 10 times to finally ask what nights are fuggin leagues on so we can come a different night

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#532)
SBC
Banned
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:

But did they mark their pocket for the 8 ball?

Old
  (#533)
Celophanewrap
Call me Grace
Celophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond reputeCelophanewrap has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Maryland Toll Roads, getcha' every time

Old
  (#534)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
That's funny right there even if you are a fan of the APA.

Let me relate my story of a recent happening in my wife's local APA league.

She had played for three consecutive sessions in the Arlington (TX) APA 8-ball league as a SL3, winning about 50 to 60% of her matches during that time. She accumulates a normal amount of innings during her matches for her skill level. She lays off a session then goes over to Tarrant County APA 8-ball league, begins as a SL3, loses her first match of the session to a SL4 3 games to 1 and the next week goes up to a SL4.

I cannot explain it.

APA in St. Louis cannot possibly look at her scoresheet for her first match and determine that she shot well enough in her one game she won (in which her opponent missed the 8-ball and left my wife an easy shot). I think that particular game went four innings.

Now, being as how my wife's opponent won the other three games (he was up 2-0 when my wife won her only game and he was the missed 8-ball away from a rackless night), how is it any fault of my wife to be able to control the amount of innings in the three games she lost? As far as St. Louis (National headquarters where all scoresheets are sent for skill level assessment) knows, my wife may have never made a ball in the three games she lost.

I only relate this story to give my opinion of how broken the APA scoring system can be at times. I believe in the APA, but only consider it as an alternate way to get out of the house and mingle with some friends, have a drink or two, and shoot a bit of pool. I simply cannot take it seriously.

FWIW, my wife has lost both her matches since being raised and has no confidence she will win another match as a SL4. Time will tell, but I can honestly say that she's got a tough patch of road ahead of her until she goes back down.

Maniac
Been there done that with a couple of my players maniac. Not too long ago i emailed st louis about one of my players. The lo had a knowledgeable player review her during a match after st louis contacted the lo.....she is still a 3.

Years ago i got so mad when a 2 was raised during a tournament i dang near quit.

Since then i have resigned myself to accept it is what it is. One thing of note though that i really buckled down on recently. Texting my lo when i see obvious signs of running up innings and marking safes on any shot that is obviously not an offensive shot. I guess its doing some good because one person i complained about was raised.

Let me clarify my stance. Every one misses shots now and then thslat they should not miss....even with bih. What i am talking about is several obvious shots during a match will get my attention and i will write them up on the scoresheet and follow up with a text to the lo explaining why i wrote them up and explain that the safes i marked were not safes per se but obvious misses consequently running up innings.

Old
  (#535)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

09-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
Yes, The Green Room. Dundalk maryland. Home to about 120 in house APA teams. Well kept valley's, except for the 4 coin ops that you played on. No body really cares about them. Also home to Charlie's pro shop, arguably the best pro shop in the country. It's a great pool hall with some very good players that play there
Yeah I always figure a pool hall in a major city will attract plenty of the really good players. Even one with only valleys

I did enjoy the pro shop though while I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
But did they mark their pocket for the 8 ball?
They were actually playing niner ball. I donít actually hate the APA lol, or leagues in general. Iím just a borderline personality that loves pool so when I got in the apa (after training myself to a respectable level) expecting to find serious pool players all about business (I had never read about the apa experience) I was like they were all sitting around...drinking, laughing, talking

Page 36 of 36 « First 26343536

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: