Shaft insert replacement?

keninar

Registered
Was brought a shaft whose insert now "spins" when threaded onto the butt. Seems as though the insert has lost its secured connection. Do not know if insert is/was threaded or not.

Is there a recommended method of removing a problem insert?
Still learning as the challenges continue.
Thanks - Ken

keninar

Registered
That's the default approach - thought I'd inquire if the veterans knew of a "better way."
Thanks!
Ken

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That's the default approach - thought I'd inquire if the veterans knew of a "better way."
Thanks!
Ken

That is the "better way"

I like using phenolic for inserts myself, and step-drilling to be safe

Last edited:

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Removing insert

Was brought a shaft whose insert now "spins" when threaded onto the butt. Seems as though the insert has lost its secured connection. Do not know if insert is/was threaded or not.

Is there a recommended method of removing a problem insert?
Still learning as the challenges continue.
Thanks - Ken

Use a pin and a socket with a nut to make a jack.

keninar

Registered
Thanks for all the input. Managed to "jack it up" and free things up.

So much to learn...so little time!

Ken

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the insert is spinning in the shaft you aren't going to drill it out.

No, you won't. Boring is better than drilling if you can, but in this case that won't likely be possible either. The bolt/nut/socket jacking won't work with a bastard thread either because you won't have the nut or bolt, unless you have a matching pin and make a nut out of brass or something, if you have the tap.

'edited for accuracy

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
No, you won't. Boring is better than drilling if you can, but in this case that won't likely be possible either. The bolt/nut/socket jacking won't work with a bastard thread either because you won't have the bolt, unless you make one out of brass or something, if you have the tap.

You can feed some thin super glue down the outside of it and it will wick in and hold the insert from spinning while you bore it out gently.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can feed some thin super glue down the outside of it and it will wick in and hold the insert from spinning while you bore it out gently.

That would be worth a try. Boring will still work better, as drilling has much higher forces, and CA does not adhere very well to metal.

Once the insert has spun around enough, chances are it should just come out.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
If the insert is spinning there is a possibility the wood split and let go.. take a close look to make sure there is no small cracks/splits near the joint or joint rings..
Best of luck.

Rob.M