Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Break cloth patch
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids
RRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-20-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Pretty simple, if you own a table do you have separate small patch of cloth you put the CB on when you break?

Finally about to get the table recovered and it crossed my mind. It's gonna get marks anyway. But I do break from the same spot most of the time.
I do for a while but it doesn't stop the tracks down the table. In fact I think it may make them worse. Eventually, I stop using one.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Old
  (#32)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Pretty simple, if you own a table do you have separate small patch of cloth you put the CB on when you break?

Finally about to get the table recovered and it crossed my mind. It's gonna get marks anyway. But I do break from the same spot most of the time.
I use a piece of Simonis 860.

Old
  (#33)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

10-20-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:

I never have used one on any of my tables, however if thereís one on a table I always use it out of respect for who wants it.

Best
Fatboy

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#34)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 07:45 AM

Break cloths are too thick. They compress, and cause the cue ball to hop. This will create more burn marks on the cue ball's path to the rack.

Use a dollar bill instead. Paper money is made of cloth, so it's durable. It is thinner than table cloth, so it compresses less. When jumping, this will give better feedback, as using table cloth will make jumping much easier, giving you a false sense of accomplishment.

Geoff Bradshaw
Bradshaw Billiard Service

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#35)
fastone371
AzB Silver Member
fastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond reputefastone371 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-21-2019, 08:13 AM

As others here have mentioned I think break pads are useless. When I first replaced my cloth I used a small piece of paper, it works great. The problem is that it only protects the spot where the cue ball sits, it does nothing for the lines and hop marks you inevitably get as the cue ball travels towards the rack. Since I usually play 8 ball it took awhile to develop the common 9 ball lines from the rail to the rack but I still have them as well as as many, many lines/marks traveling from between the 3 middle diamonds to the center of the rack. I also have 2 very worn marks around the outside 2 head rail diamonds which I think is from the corner balls and lines going down the rail grooves to every pocket. Im about to recover my table again, this time I am going with Tournament Blue instead of green which I think will help cut down on cloth wear. At any point it is much cheaper for us to recover our tables every so often rather than feeding quarters into a table or paying by the hour.

PS those worried about a break cloth might want to consider a racking cloth too because you will also create a lot of wear where you fill the rack before sliding it up to the dot.

Old
  (#36)
Shorty34
AzB Silver Member
Shorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond reputeShorty34 has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Put the cue ball on a playing card...problem solved...quick, simple, easy and effective solution...

Old
  (#37)
Gunn_Slinger
AzB Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 68

10-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Break cloths are too thick. They compress, and cause the cue ball to hop. This will create more burn marks on the cue ball's path to the rack.

Use a dollar bill instead. Paper money is made of cloth, so it's durable. It is thinner than table cloth, so it compresses less. When jumping, this will give better feedback, as using table cloth will make jumping much easier, giving you a false sense of accomplishment.
Yes ! And for high rollers , use a hundred dollar bill !

Old
  (#38)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfNoTrades View Post
Speaking of the Outsville ďShark Skin Table Saver,Ē does anyone use these or have feedback on them? Not terribly expensive I know, but if itís a definite buy/donít buy Iíd like to gather opinions before proceeding.

Any takers?

I have some. If Iím required to use a pad, this is a vastly better option than the giant mattress a spare cut of cloth provides. If youíre into the the break, I canít imagine using anything under your cueball.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#39)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybob20 View Post
I've have used a break cloth on my home table for 25 years. It really extends the life of the cloth and does not detract from breaking at all.

I originally used a small piece of newspaper but now only use a patch of Simonis.

With respect, you either donít break very hard, or donít really know too much about the break. Youíre way better off using the newspaper.

Really anyone that prioritizes the look of the table (which takes years to accumulate enough break marks to be an issue) over the proper play just indicates that they are a different type of ďplayerĒ. No offense but it most assuredly affects the break. You just donít notice.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#40)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member

10-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRfireblade View Post
I do for a while but it doesn't stop the tracks down the table. In fact I think it may make them worse. Eventually, I stop using one.

Youíre going to have the cueball bouncing more, thatís for sure.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#41)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-21-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRUNOUT View Post
With respect, you either donít break very hard, or donít really know too much about the break. Youíre way better off using the newspaper.

Really anyone that prioritizes the look of the table (which takes years to accumulate enough break marks to be an issue) over the proper play just indicates that they are a different type of ďplayerĒ. No offense but it most assuredly affects the break. You just donít notice.

KMRUNOUT

I agree 100%.

Once a person develops a good break, they will literally hate using a break pad regardless of how thin. It makes a big difference in how the cb reacts before and after contact with the head ball causing all sorts of negative outcomes from bad position on 1 ball to not being able to control where specific balls in rack end up. In a close match, it is a deal breaker (no pun intended).

I'm lucky enough to have access to places that don't care if I practice my AR, 10 ball and 9 ball breaks 7 days a week.

Now, if I could only physically practice my break for more than 15 or 20 minutes without having my back, neck and shoulders feel like they are gonna explode, I would take advantage of the practice opportunities way more often.

Since I'm not able to do so, I'll stay with 14.1 and starting with different break positions on each break. That way there is absolutely no need for a pad.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#42)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member

10-21-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
I agree 100%.

Once a person develops a good break, they will literally hate using a break pad regardless of how thin. It makes a big difference in how the cb reacts before and after contact with the head ball causing all sorts of negative outcomes from bad position on 1 ball to not being able to control where specific balls in rack end up. In a close match, it is a deal breaker (no pun intended).

I'm lucky enough to have access to places that don't care if I practice my AR, 10 ball and 9 ball breaks 7 days a week.

Now, if I could only physically practice my break for more than 15 or 20 minutes without having my back, neck and shoulders feel like they are gonna explode, I would take advantage of the practice opportunities way more often.

Since I'm not able to do so, I'll stay with 14.1 and starting with different break positions on each break. That way there is absolutely no need for a pad.

Jeff

Agreed big time! Wells said sir.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#43)
AlexandruM
AzB Silver Member
AlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond reputeAlexandruM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-21-2019, 11:38 PM

I'm using a break pad, it's a cloth for cleaning sunglasses. It is thin enough and don't affect my break.

Old
  (#44)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandruM View Post
I'm using a break pad, it's a cloth for cleaning sunglasses. It is thin enough and don't affect my break.

Iíve seen and used those. They affect the break. Whether or not someone notices is a different topic.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#45)
9andout
Gunnin' for a 2 pack!!
9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute9andout has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post

PS those worried about a break cloth might want to consider a racking cloth too because you will also create a lot of wear where you fill the rack before sliding it up to the dot.
Template. Done.

In training for the "Senior Division" By then I might actually be decent! Still love Earl!!
Lover of shot clocks!

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: