What Pool Needs....the most interesting man!

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Indeed, 336 Robin!

To go further, (U.S.) pool needs interested men and women.

We need players--young and old--to take an interest in our game.
We're losing ground badly with respect to the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, and IMO, I don't think money, sponsors, related orgs, nor current U.S. pool climate can do that at this point.

It's certainly not from a lack of trying though.
Recent years have seen the IPT, Bonus Ball,
and the Association of Billiard Professionals (ABP),
the latter of which was spearheaded by Johnny Archer.

From these three ventures, we should learn what works and what does NOT
work.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed, 336 Robin!

Unfortunately, and IMO, I don't think money, sponsors, related orgs, nor current U.S. pool climate can do that at this point.

work.

It seemed; at least to me, KT and the IPT had a decent formula. I think that had a very real chance of succeeding if not for the legal issues plaguing Kevin T. Guess we will never know but yes, at least people are taking shots.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Agreed

Indeed, 336 Robin!

work.

I agree. Here is my opinion.

If we had some backing it wouldnt need a ton but it would need some. We might come with another BCA type organization that was created with the idea of a self sustaining through pool player memberships. If we cant sell the idea to the pool players then how good is it?

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
In my lifetime there have been two things that boosted interest in pool, The Hustler and TCOM. Anybody out there have a good screenplay?

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
yeah no sure now

In my lifetime there have been two things that boosted interest in pool, The Hustler and TCOM. Anybody out there have a good screenplay?

I think that timing "era" had something to do with that also. With the additional distractions we have now I'm pretty positive if TCOM were to come out today that the effect wouldn't be as profound.

I think we need another piece to the puzzle, like a new way to present the entire package, we need a way to get the attention of younger generation, "like during TCOM time", truthfully there wasn't much else for kids to do, but now they have lots of choices we have to figure out a way to get them hooked on it.

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
but now they have lots of choices we have to figure out a way to get them hooked on it.

We can take baseball bats door to door & start smashing PlayStation boxes all over the country for a start.

Unfortunately it seems since these stupid little boxes were invented & all of those games that come with them that few want to venture outside of their home & spend time developing skill at a sport like pool. They can hide in their basement & pretend they just saved the world on some video game. It's like that guitar hero thing. Why learn to play a real instrument & make real music when you can pretend on that thing, takes far less time & effort. Today's youth since the advent of technology have the attention span of a gnat & a lack of commitment to anything that requires any time to be good at it, they're lazy & into instant gratification.

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
All the major sports have one thing in common........they are supported, at the youth level, by schools and city recreation departments along with parents support playing those games.

How many cities have youth pool leagues for intercity play?

Ever hear of a high school pool team kicking ass?

Ever seen a pep rally for a pool game?

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
How about a Virtual Reality Interactive pool games that kids can play on X-Box or simular play stations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Thats a start

How about a Virtual Reality Interactive pool games that kids can play on X-Box or simular play stations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

That might be a start at some point kids are going to want to social then you already have them used to the game.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many smart Brains tried and failed. It appears to me that there may be a Curse on pool.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a kid (80's) we had local sat night pool tourneys for under 18 at the pool hall. Started at 7pm and must have a parent sign you up. It was always full! Kinda had a high school rivalry going with nearby schools. Gotta get the kids started early!

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Exactly

When I was a kid (80's) we had local sat night pool tourneys for under 18 at the pool hall. Started at 7pm and must have a parent sign you up. It was always full! Kinda had a high school rivalry going with nearby schools. Gotta get the kids started early!

I agree. The place I play just started a youth league and it seems to be doing well. They play on Sunday afternoons about 2. I'm thinking that word is going to spread and in a few sessions its going to be huge. It seems the idea of actually getting together with friends for something seems to be working.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. The place I play just started a youth league and it seems to be doing well. The play on Sunday afternoons about 2. I'm thinking that word is going to spread and in a few sessions its going to be huge. It seems the idea of actually getting together with friends for something seems to be working.

I'd be willing to teach kids how to play, but there would be a couple stipulations.

1) I'd confiscate all all their cell phones during the session.

2) They'd have to take their Prozac before they came.

Nothing worse that trying to get someone's attention every minute because they are texting somebody or playing games other than pool.

The next worse thing is everybody jabber jawing and playing grab ass instead of paying attention.

lastdimetaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best things about pool is that the pool world is small enough for me to feel like I'm part of it. I like that I could walk into a pool hall and actually have a chance to play a legend like Buddy Hall or enter a tournament and go toe to toe with Earl Strickland. Once SVB sat down next to me and started to comment about the match I was watching as if we were old friends, yet we never met before that. I feel like I'm apart of the pool world, not just a blurred face in a crowd cheering for someone else. I'm no cheerleader, I like to play not watch. So I feel like pool offers something the other sports don't have. I say pool needs less talk more action... just go play everything else takes care of itself. Pool is a secret world that the zombies don't know about yet. Keep them out.. promote it as a secret club and everyone will want in. Lol ... I love pool.. when it gets dull or I feel like I'm losing interest I love pool. Love being a verb. I play pool. Broke or rich I play pool. Stick Balls Table action.. my crazy for the day.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
When I get discouraged or need to think

One of the best things about pool is that the pool world is small enough for me to feel like I'm part of it. I like that I could walk into a pool hall and actually have a chance to play a legend like Buddy Hall or enter a tournament and go toe to toe with Earl Strickland. Once SVB sat down next to me and started to comment about the match I was watching as if we were old friends, yet we never met before that. I feel like I'm apart of the pool world, not just a blurred face in a crowd cheering for someone else. I'm no cheerleader, I like to play not watch. So I feel like pool offers something the other sports don't have. I say pool needs less talk more action... just go play everything else takes care of itself. Pool is a secret world that the zombies don't know about yet. Keep them out.. promote it as a secret club and everyone will want in. Lol ... I love pool.. when it gets dull or I feel like I'm losing interest I love pool. Love being a verb. I play pool. Broke or rich I play pool. Stick Balls Table action.. my crazy for the day.

Nice post lastdimetaker....
When I need to think or get discouraged I can't wait to take my thoughts to the table. I think I shoot and it works itself out. You're right its a little world all to its own and I've thought of it quite that way. I can see an ad campaign built around that....the zen of it, the local pool club, the pool buddies, the camaraderie, a place to get away from it all where everything makes much more sense......Pool.,