How the Mosconi Cup attitude parallels modern American liberalism.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
That's what I said in another thread. Seeing the American team standing there with some kind of silver medals around their necks watching the Euro's celebrating said it all.

What kind of a two team competition would hand out silver medals?

I'll tell you what kind. The pussified kind.

JC

i suppose you want them to give back the ten grand as well

ridiculous

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is some seriously hilarious BS right here. Liberalism. Seriously?

1fv12m.jpg

John Disque

Banned
This is some seriously hilarious BS right here. Liberalism. Seriously?

1fv12m.jpg

Yeah - This is absurd.

You can blame liberals for spending too much money feeding the poor, trying to make sure everyone has insurance and all the fraud involved with Welfare and Foodstamps (the intention was pure but it got away from them).... but to blame liberals for not winning the Mosconi Cup... (LOL) might be the most ridiculous thing I ever read on this forum.

activeshooter9

Registered

Yeah - This is absurd.

You can blame liberals for spending too much money feeding the poor, trying to make sure everyone has insurance and all the fraud involved with Welfare and Foodstamps (the intention was pure but it got away from them).... but to blame liberals for not winning the Mosconi Cup... (LOL) might be the most ridiculous thing I ever read on this forum.
Typical right wing blame game.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had my first experience of handicapped tournaments when I was over in Vegas last year. Hard to give an opinion except that they dry fist any outsiders, me and the lads from Amsterdam were all handicapped as pros LOL!! We were giving up spots to players of at least our speed.

Over here, pretty much every good pool player (and snooker and 3 cushion) plays in a KNBB (Dutch Billiard Association) league. In the pool, we have 4 levels of national league, and generally 3 levels of regional league. Instead of handicapping house tournaments, pool halls will run tournaments that only allows players who play in regional 2nd level and below.

Also, people enter tournaments knowing fine well they have no chance of winning, they view it as a social event, and the amount of pool they play for their entry fee is better value for money than renting a table.

Having played in leagues back in Scotland over the years, I have to say I am amazed how well run pool is here. Heck, take a look at this page...

http://competitie.knbb.nl/listplayers.php?FID=4

This is a list of all the paid up teams playing pool in the Netherlands in the KNBB this season. Remember that the Netherlands is a country of only 13,000 square miles!!

Pool is treated like a proper sport over here.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is funny-

Yeah - This is absurd.

....Mike voted for Trump

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coincidence???

Well, to be fair, the last time the US won the Mosconi cup was the year Obama took office.

;)

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
American pool has been on the decline.

America has been on the decline.

Causes for both : Radical egalitarianism and radical individualism.

Pool: previously the best player wins. These handicapped tournaments, leagues, equipment adjustments that keep trying to "level" the playing field are hurting our players development. Granted the Euro rise is due to many actually playing the sport solely as opposed to snooker players taking a bash at pool without any knowledge.

However, the participation trophy, everyone's a winner, liberal mentality has crept into the pool world and been a catalyst for the demise. The rise in nationalism and dissatisfaction, cynicism and outright rejection of traditional left political parties (as well as business and banking elites), many of which have been in power in Western Europe in one way or another since the end of the World War Two are starting to crumble (see Brexit, Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece latest election polls.

USA after WW2 was capitalist in nature and a leader in economy, education and medicine. Now it is a complete gong show. Parallels to pool?

Trigger warning for all the left wing whiners. This may trigger emotions of fury, the urge to actually think logically and do some historical fact checking.

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry. It's solely about fundamentals and training.
The US guys are just doing their gambling and money tournaments; they lack highly structured playing, training and fundamentals. They by far play too much by instinct or feel (also one of the commenters noted!).

In Germany Ralf Souquet is getting all expenses to attend a training camp of younger players by the Billard Union and he's there to play, talk, coach, also learn for himself.

Also team morale, team spirit or solidarity was way low on the US team.

Yes, it's a bit generalizing, but that's how I see it.
I'm just glad there was no Strickland or something like that.

Cheers,
M

JC

Coos Cues
i suppose you want them to give back the ten grand as well

ridiculous

No, just the last place medals.

Pros should be paid.

Winners should get medals and trophies.

If I played like shit and lost no way in hell I would brandish a medal honoring my participation. But I grew up back in the days when we had losers and it wasn't celebrated.

JC

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Pros should be paid.

If I played like shit and lost no way in hell I would brandish a medal honoring my participation. But I grew up back in the days when we had losers and it wasn't celebrated.

JC

Why do you care if they get medals or not?

The medal is meaningless to you. To them it's a memento of getting selected for and participating in the Mosconi cup. Who knows, mabye some of them sell theirs or throw it away. Who bloody cares?

I know people who threw away all of their gold medals for pool playing. It had no significance to them, what so ever. Not small tropies, by any means. I also know some other people that would be buried with any kind of medal received for any level of pool playing.

Why do you have to make everything political, and why do you try to twist everything to make the past some glorious time in history that will never be surpassed? Old people have been doing this stuff for thousands of years allready. The same exact thing was going on in ancient Greece. Time changes, people don't. People are lazy, stupid, smart, industrious or whatever they may be, today as much as they were yesterday. Things are not like when you were young, you are no longer young. Get the hxxl over it. Here, watch this, maybe you'll laugh and recognize yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

This is the Mosconi cup. It's got some prestige and it is somewhat indicative of skill, but it's not the be all and end all of pool, nor our society as a whole.

JC

Coos Cues
Why do you care if they get medals or not?

The medal is meaningless to you. To them it's a memento of getting selected for and participating in the Mosconi cup. Who knows, mabye some of them sell theirs or throw it away. Who bloody cares?

I know people who threw away all of their gold medals for pool playing. It had no significance to them, what so ever. Not small tropies, by any means. I also know some other people that would be buried with any kind of medal received for any level of pool playing.

Why do you have to make everything political, and why do you try to twist everything to make the past some glorious time in history that will never be surpassed? Old people have been doing this stuff for thousands of years allready. The same exact thing was going on in ancient Greece. Time changes, people don't. People are lazy, stupid, smart, industrious or whatever they may be, today as much as they were yesterday. Things are not like when you were young, you are no longer young. Get the hxxl over it. Here, watch this, maybe you'll laugh and recognize yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

This is the Mosconi cup. It's got some prestige and it is somewhat indicative of skill, but it's not the be all and end all of pool, nor our society as a whole.

Why do you care what my opinion is California dreamer?

JC

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Why do you care what my opinion is California dreamer?

JC

Mostly because it's sour and negative and the way it is stated is designed to drag others down into the black hole in which you reside. If you want to live there it's fine by me, but don't drag others down with you. Be as bitter as you want.

Last edited:

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member

Pros should be paid.

JC

why should anyone are about both teams getting medals? most prestigious tournaments give awards to the runner up.

ridiculous

JC

Coos Cues
why should anyone are about both teams getting medals? most prestigious tournaments give awards to the runner up.

ridiculous

It wasn't a tournament. Had there been 14 other teams there then sure, award second place. When second place is also last place then it's into the realm of everyone gets a trophy and it's silly.

The fact people defend these awards validates the OP and title of this thread.

JC

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It wasn't a tournament. Had there been 14 other teams there then sure, award second place. When second place is also last place then it's into the realm of everyone gets a trophy and it's silly.

The fact people defend these awards validates the OP and title of this thread.

JC
So you don't have a problem with them getting 10 thousand dollars, which actually means something, but you do have a problem with them getting a commemoration of their qualifying for the team, which doesn't mean anything?

It must be fun getting your panties in a twist about things that don't matter, or people wouldn't do it so much. Maybe I should give it a try :thumbup:

JC

Coos Cues
So you don't have a problem with them getting 10 thousand dollars, which actually means something, but you do have a problem with them getting a commemoration of their qualifying for the team, which doesn't mean anything?

It must be fun getting your panties in a twist about things that don't matter, or people wouldn't do it so much. Maybe I should give it a try :thumbup:

No panties in a twist, this is an internet forum remember? Never said it mattered, just offered my opinion. Not butt hurt that some disagree. I mean look at our society, of course people disagree with my opinions. If they didn't we wouldn't be so pussified now would we?

I've already said this once.

Professionals should be paid and winners should get trophies. Professionals should not get participation trophies. Come to think of it neither should first graders.

JC

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's much simpler than the explanation in the OP. It basically boils down to the economy isn't as doing as good as it once was. Therefore people have less discretionary income. Therefore, gambling isn't nearly as prevalent as it once was. Therefore a lot of people don't play pool as much as they would had they had something to gain by constantly playing (gambling winnings). Most players don't make enough money by simply playing in tournaments to really budge their financial needs in a positive direction. Only a handful of players can live strictly off of tournament winnings. Everyone else has to find other means of income and therefore they can't play as much they want to.