BCA 8 Ball Rules ???

SHORTY WRIGHT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing an eight ball game last night and my opponent was using the bridge and after he made the shot the Bridge hit two balls ... what is the ruling when the bridge Hits 2 balls when lifting it up and away ? Thanks

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20. FOULS BY TOUCHING BALLS. It is a foul to strike, touch or in any way make contact with the cue ball in play or any object balls in play with anything (the body, clothing, chalk, mechanical bridge, cue shaft, etc.) EXCEPT the cue tip (while attached to the cue shaft), which may contact the cue ball in the execution of a legal shot. Whenever a referee is presiding over a match, any object ball moved during a standard foul must be returned as closely as possible to its original position as judged by the referee, and the incoming player does not have the option of restoration.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the rule states, it is about ball/s in play.

Your opponent did not touch any ball "in play", and if there was no referee, you as incoming player have choice of moving balls back or not.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your opponent did not touch any ball "in play", and if there was no referee, you as incoming player have choice of moving balls back or not.

To me, if it's on the table, it's in play. All the rules should just align to any touch of the playing frame is a foul, excluding 1 touch from the stick tip. All ball fouls simply iron out everything. The only exception I've ever questioned was if you could use the butt of the stck (this would surely help people in wheelchairs).

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
20. FOULS BY TOUCHING BALLS. It is a foul to strike, touch or in any way make contact with the cue ball in play or any object balls in play with anything (the body, clothing, chalk, mechanical bridge, cue shaft, etc.) EXCEPT the cue tip (while attached to the cue shaft), which may contact the cue ball in the execution of a legal shot. Whenever a referee is presiding over a match, any object ball moved during a standard foul must be returned as closely as possible to its original position as judged by the referee, and the incoming player does not have the option of restoration.

RIVERCITY:
I can not find this Rule 20 in the BCA/WPA Rule book.

randyg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The fact that two balls were moved makes it a foul.

It wouldn't be a foul if only one ball was moved & that ball did not have an effect on the outcome of the shot.

I do believe this is 100% correct. But rules change all the time. There's nothing more humiliating than arguing with a player about a supposed foul, one you know has always been a foul, and then the ref comes over with the newest rule a book and shows you how wrong you are.:embarrassed2:

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need to be more specific when referring to "BCA rules."

It wouldn't be a foul if only one ball was moved & that ball did not have an effect on the outcome of the shot.

These are the BCAPL rules used in league play. https://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

These are the BCA/WPA world standardized rules. https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/#Fouls

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

^^^^^
What he said is the only correct answer.

BCAPL (CSI) is cue ball only fouls which means it not a foul to disturb ONE ball, however if more than ONE is disturbed it is a foul and BIH for incoming player. I am surprised by the number of people here who got this wrong, maybe BCAPL rules dont have the reach I thought they did.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"did not have an effect on the outcome of the shot." - This is one that people will constantly have arguments over. If only one ball had been moved by the bridge, was it okay, or does that mean the bridge should never have been placed where it was in order to be able to make the shot thereby having an effect on the outcome? :shrug:

:sorry:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing an eight ball game last night and my opponent was using the bridge and after he made the shot the Bridge hit two balls ... what is the ruling when the bridge Hits 2 balls when lifting it up and away ? Thanks

If it was a league game, BCA Players League (BCAPL), then it was a foul because more than 1 ball was disturbed. If it wasn't a league a game, but standard BCA rules apply, then it was also a foul because zero balls are allowed to be disturbed.

Standard BCA/world standardized rules are less detailed and more ambiguous in some aspects when compared to the official CSI/BCAPL rules.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
"did not have an effect on the outcome of the shot." - This is one that people will constantly have arguments over. If only one ball had been moved by the bridge, was it okay, or does that mean the bridge should never have been placed where it was in order to be able to make the shot thereby having an effect on the outcome? :shrug:

:sorry:

The outcome of the shot requirement means that if a ball in motion had rolled thru the area. ie: Did the fouled ball contact a moving ball? Did the moving ball roll thru the area that the fouled ball was originally located?? Thats what is meant by having an outcome on the shot. :)

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disturbing more than one ball is a foul with no option of restoration. This is covered under 1-33 of CSI rules (which govern BCAPL and USAPL play). Specifically, 7b [bolded below]:

1-33 Disturbed Balls (Cue Ball Fouls Only) (AR p. 91)
1. During a game, it is not a foul if you accidentally touch or move a single stationary
object ball with any part of your body, clothing or equipment, unless the disturbed ball
has an effect on the outcome of the shot.

2. "Effect on the outcome of the shot" means that either the disturbed ball contacts any
ball set in motion as a result of the shot, or that the base of any ball set in motion as a
result of the shot passes through the area originally occupied by the disturbed ball. That
area is defined as a circle approximately seven inches in diameter centered on the
position originally occupied by the disturbed ball (see Diagram 6).

3. If a disturbed ball has no effect on the outcome of the shot, your opponent has the
option to leave the disturbed ball where it came to rest or to restore it to its original
position before the next shot. If the disturbed ball is to be restored, a referee may restore
it, your opponent may restore it, or you may restore it with your opponent’s permission.
It is a foul if you touch or restore the disturbed ball without your opponent's permission.

4. It is a foul if a disturbed ball has an effect on the outcome of the shot. Your opponent
has no restoration option.

5. If you disturb a single object ball and, in the same shot, commit a foul that is not
related to the disturbed ball: you are penalized for the foul, and your opponent has the
restoration option for the disturbed ball that was not involved in the foul.

6. If a single disturbed ball falls into a pocket with no effect on the outcome of a shot,
your opponent has the restoration option. However, if the disturbed ball is designated by
specific game rules as the game winning ball, it must be restored. If the game-winning
ball is disturbed and falls into a pocket when there is an effect on the outcome of the shot,
it is loss of game.

7. It is a foul if:
a. you disturb the cue ball;
b. you disturb more than one object ball;
c. a disturbed ball contacts any other ball;
d. you disturb a ball that is in motion.
Your opponent has no restoration option. If the game-winning ball is disturbed in
conjunction with a violation of (a) through (d) and falls into a pocket, it is loss of game.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I got asked about a situation where a player had shot, and accidentally knocked the 8 ball into a pocket with his cue. (BCA 8 ball tournament)
I told them just put the 8 back where it was.
They somehow ended up spotting it o_O
I later looked up the rule above, and it seems I made the right call.
Nothing else moved, (a) through (d) didn't happen. So restoration seems right to me.
Does anyone else interpret this differently?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nope. That only applies to one object ball. More then one moved is a foul wih no restoration allowed.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got asked about a situation where a player had shot, and accidentally knocked the 8 ball into a pocket with his cue. (BCA 8 ball tournament)
I told them just put the 8 back where it was.
They somehow ended up spotting it o_O
I later looked up the rule above, and it seems I made the right call.
Nothing else moved, (a) through (d) didn't happen. So restoration seems right to me.
Does anyone else interpret this differently?
Based on the info presented here, you are correct.

oneballeddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do believe this is 100% correct. But rules change all the time. There's nothing more humiliating than arguing with a player about a supposed foul, one you know has always been a foul, and then the ref comes over with the newest rule a book and shows you how wrong you are.:embarrassed2:
This is the correct answer. Rule 20 does not address the question that was asked.