Wood joint pin

ca sn8ke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 1900ish Brunswick cue with a wooden male pin that screws into the butt. Are any of the cuemakers out there making these joints? Does anyone know the thread size? My guess is a 1/2 x 8. Is anybody building these shafts? Do you soak the threaded area in mineral oil.
Answer here or text me at 619-850-6138 THANKS

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
ron kilby is the only american maker i know that makes these traditional carom style shafts now
and ive started to see some break cues made this way

longoni and several euro brands still make traditional carom type shafts like this
most half inch, pitch varies

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wood pin cues

I started making my wood pin cues about 20 years ago, but I put the pin in the butt.
I use the 1/2 by 8 thread.
All other makers I have ever seen using the wood pin use a 1/2 by 10 thread.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
1/2 x 8. Is anybody building these shafts? Do you soak the threaded area in mineral oil.

MXtHgIV.jpg

My suggestion would be a carnauba paste wax on both male and female. But that's just me and my experience with an everyday setting. The attached picture shows bare wood and these have been like this since they were made. 1/2-8 I believe is the better config for wooden threads. When you start cutting a finer thread you can run into a more fragile situation and end up with chipped or broken threads easier than the 8. The 8's just have more meat on them. That's not to say a 10 won't work but you certainly have to be more careful with.
Most I have done were made with a modified 8 of my own doing where they look more like an acme style. Much stronger and with a little care will last for a lifetime of use.

The picture is of one of the first test pieces I did over 20 yrs ago. I've since modified the practice with a little longer tenon pilot at the base.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
ron kilby is the only american maker i know that makes these traditional carom style shafts now
and ive started to see some break cues made this way

longoni and several euro brands still make traditional carom type shafts like this
most half inch, pitch varies

Ditto, believe he is in Oregon, caromcues, or caromcue .com

ca sn8ke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another question - do all these screws, for these old Brunswick, have a slight taper?
My thanks to everyone for your input!