Billiards Lessons

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question for the billiards instructors out there. I live in northeastern PA. More specifically Scranton. The neighboring town will be having a soft opening of a pool hall that was previously known as Cosmos / ProShot Billiards this coming weekend. The new company seems to be offering franchises of models of this business. They are also offering Lessons. My thought is if it turns out the lessons they offer are given by people not qualified to give lessons. How hard would it be to arrange to get advanced instructors to come and offer either group or private lessons at that establishment? Is it as simple as contacting someone like Scott Lee or the billiards academy and hiring him/them to come when schedules allow? Then just a matter of getting a group of people together and have them register and pay for it to happen in advance?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe call Jim Rempe and see what he thinks. He used to live in Scranton, but I think probably still lives not too far away.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It is that simple as long as the room owners go along with the idea.

I have a question for the billiards instructors out there. I live in northeastern PA. More specifically Scranton. The neighboring town will be having a soft opening of a pool hall that was previously known as Cosmos / ProShot Billiards this coming weekend. The new company seems to be offering franchises of models of this business. They are also offering Lessons. My thought is if it turns out the lessons they offer are given by people not qualified to give lessons. How hard would it be to arrange to get advanced instructors to come and offer either group or private lessons at that establishment? Is it as simple as contacting someone like Scott Lee or the billiards academy and hiring him/them to come when schedules allow? Then just a matter of getting a group of people together and have them register and pay for it to happen in advance?

BurritoBandido

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not hard, all it takes is money.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thought of calling Jim Rempe has crossed my mind and the pool hall owners may have already done that for all I know. All the details of their intentions will be released tomorrow at the soft opening I am pretty sure. I actually asked on here about Jim Rempe a while back and was told he used to give lessons in his basement. Recently I see he is selling his personal pool table so I believe he may be giving up on pool. I know he is not the youngest out there so his health may be an issue as well. It was also pointed out to me back then that even though he was one of the pool greats in his day that does not mean he can teach others his skill set. A great instructor would likely be more productive teaching then simply a great player. Even though a combination of great instructor and great player would be even better. Age changes people.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think there are several people who could do what you need. If you can wait until April I'll be at the SBE and could stop by Scranton. I could also do an Instructor Certification course there. PM sent.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Kevin Clark going to be involved in any way with that room? Good player.

No Kevin Clark from my understanding lost that hall to his wife Carol who has outside franchisers helping her run it. It seems like Eagle billiards has a lot more financial support and business experience than ever before. It may even turn out to be the best hall in NEPA now. I've spoken to Kevin Clark about a year and a half ago and he told me unless a person is willing to devote 27 hours minimum a week to drill practice in the hall he would see them as doing it for a hobby. He only wanted students who could offer more practice than that because he saw his students as a reflection upon his reputation. At that time I did not have that much time I could devote to training during hall hours and my personal table back then was horrid. In a few hours I will go to the soft opening and find out more about the instruction the hall is planning on offerring.
This soft opening has me very excited even though I have not seen any local publicity promoting it

NEPAPOOLKING

Registered
I would love to welcome everyone to our new hall in Dickson City, PA or in the near future South Philadelphia or Bridgewater, NJ. We have some of the areas best pool instructors and management team the region has seen. Our mission is to educate the youth about the industry and ensure it has a future for years to come. We are always open for ideas and customer feedback as it's the only way to successfully grow our business.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin3824...Yes, it is as simple as contacting me, arranging for pool school and/or private lesson dates, and then have enough students to make it financially feasible. Someone local has to be the lead person for this project...whether it is you, or someone else. Putting up posters in the room advertising the program, and having the room owners/managers pump it up to their customers should get a group together. If you're interested, call me (773-551-7473).

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com