Cue to Eye Position

lucasi1

Registered
I watch more snooker than pool, and not sure where to post this... After watching Ronnie O'Sullivan videos, it looks like although he shoots right handed, his cue is inline with his left eye. He is not alone. Selby and a few others do this as well. I have to wonder how this came about. Natural stance or taught? Are they naturally right handed but dominant left eyed, so they do this naturally? (in Ronnie's case, when he shoots left handed, the cue stays under his left eye)

Do any main pool players do this? I know the snooker stance is different than most pool players, but I wonder if people consider their dominant eye when checking mechanics?

Just curious if I'm seeing this correctly, and if so, how this comes about?.. Thanks.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A lot of problems disappear if you bring the cue to your eyes....
...rather than your eyes to the cue.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watch more snooker than pool, and not sure where to post this... After watching Ronnie O'Sullivan videos, it looks like although he shoots right handed, his cue is inline with his left eye. He is not alone. Selby and a few others do this as well. I have to wonder how this came about. Natural stance or taught? Are they naturally right handed but dominant left eyed, so they do this naturally? (in Ronnie's case, when he shoots left handed, the cue stays under his left eye)

Do any main pool players do this? I know the snooker stance is different than most pool players, but I wonder if people consider their dominant eye when checking mechanics?

Just curious if I'm seeing this correctly, and if so, how this comes about?.. Thanks.

Its been awhile., its call the master eye.

Arguably the best shot maker to ever held a cue in pool, wu shoots left handed aligned to his right hand.
So does last yr world 9ball champ albin does, shooting right hand aligned to his left eye.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Every individual has a unique head position relative to the cue that allows him or her to best see the line of a shot. I call this the "vision center" position. The vision center isn't always related to which eye might be "dominant" or not. For more info, including drills that can be used to find one's vision center, see the vision center resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Every individual has a unique head position relative to the cue that allows him or her to best see the line of a shot. I call this the "vision center" position. The vision center isn't always related to which eye might be "dominant" or not. For more info, including drills that can be used to find one's vision center, see the vision center.
I consider vision center resource page alignment THE most important fundamental of pool!

Regards,
Dave

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider alignment THE most important fundamental of pool!

Regards,
Dave

Absolutely. Better alignment = more consistent play. From beginner to advanced player, this drill is well worth the effort to include in one's practice routine. Even good players need a tune-up now and then. When doing, be very attuned to your observations.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
As was Willie Mosconi and Joe Davis...you're in good company.
One advantage of being cross eye dominant is your dominant eye is closer to the target.
Every individual has a unique head position relative to the cue that allows him or her to best see the line of a shot. I call this the "vision center" position. The vision center isn't always related to which eye might be "dominant" or not. For more info, including drills that can be used to find one's vision center, see the vision center resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk