Warm up strokes at the bottom of the ball

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
During the Las Vegas 10 ball Open, I noticed quite a few pros during their warm up strokes were aiming at the bottom of the ball even though their final stroke was at a different place on the cue ball.

I thought the warm up strokes were to hone in on which part of the cue ball you wanted to hit.

Any special reason for this? And anyone do this?

Thanks in advance.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
During the Las Vegas 10 ball Open, I noticed quite a few pros during their warm up strokes were aiming at the bottom of the ball even though their final stroke was at a different place on the cue ball.

I thought the warm up strokes were to hone in on which part of the cue ball you wanted to hit.

Any special reason for this? And anyone do this?

Thanks in advance.
You would have to ask each pro to really know why they do it. A common stated reason is that for many people it helps to get them centered on the cue ball because the center is easier to see at the bottom than on the equator.

If all your warmup strokes are at the bottom and you plan to hit elsewhere on the cue ball, such as left follow, there are several problems introduced. I've seen some fans of the technique gloss over the problems.

I think it is much better to address the cue ball where you intend to hit it.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would have to ask each pro to really know why they do it. A common stated reason is that for many people it helps to get them centered on the cue ball because the center is easier to see at the bottom than on the equator.

If all your warmup strokes are at the bottom and you plan to hit elsewhere on the cue ball, such as left follow, there are several problems introduced. I've seen some fans of the technique gloss over the problems.

I think it is much better to address the cue ball where you intend to hit it.

not an instructor (am an amateur, in fact)
but I like addressing the cb where I intend to hit it
if I have to hit the ball dead center
I might start at the bottom
and work my way up

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an instructor either - nor a player for that matter but inasmuch as what I do actually works, I'm not averse to showing people.

I sometimes aim at the cloth ahead of the base and leverage the tip down into the cloth a la Sigel breaking; not to that extreme but enough to bow the shaft slightly. This is usually for shots that require more than the general medium speed. Pressing the shaft into the cloth gives me feedback on body alignment and things like where in the swing the tip will make contact. Makes for a better shot prep than one pumping on muscle memory.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It's similar to aiming centerball first and then applying side spin with aim adjustment using swooping BHE. I do that (especially when practicing, to remind myself what adjustments I make), but:

1. I don't point the tip at the base of the CB (I point it at whatever height I'll hit it)
2. I take a practice stroke or two (or three) after moving the tip sideways

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two types of players who do that. The first type are the ones who initially set up at the bottom of the ball but then as they practice stroke, start to move the cue tip to where they want to strike the cue ball.

The second type are the ones who start with the tip at the bottom and then only change the tip position during the execution stroke.

I think both are just habits. I've heard things like it enables the player to see the entire cue ball when they're lining up the shot, but other pros do just fine without starting at the bottom of the ball so I believe it's just a habit.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
There are two types of players who do that. The first type are the ones who initially set up at the bottom of the ball but then as they practice stroke, start to move the cue tip to where they want to strike the cue ball.

The second type are the ones who start with the tip at the bottom and then only change the tip position during the execution stroke.

I think both are just habits. I've heard things like it enables the player to see the entire cue ball when they're lining up the shot, but other pros do just fine without starting at the bottom of the ball so I believe it's just a habit.

One who particularly comes to mind is Rob Saez.