Basic Aiming - My thoughts and approach

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Rear foot on the shot line.
2. Go down with your shoulder and chest section on that shot line.
3. Chin, bridge, grip AND elbow on that shot line.
4. Stroke through that shot line.

Agree. 100%. How HIGH or LOW you wish to stand doesn't matter (to me)...but fundamentally everything you listed happens.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I call this the "orientation alignment" - a consistent starting place for CB/OB alignment that makes every shot "familiar".

Another version is to initially line up center-to-edge (CB center to OB edge). It gives you the same kind of consistent beginning orientation, but in the middle of all possible cuts (and close to the most used ones). I theorize that this is one of the (largely unrecognized) good parts of CTE.

pj
chgo

Makes sense to me. Yes, finding a way to orient yourself on each shot is great. I'll be honest. Sometimes I get down on a full ball hit on most shots...and then PIVOT my cue while in stance to adjust for the needed cut. Does that make sense? It works pretty good. It's all fascinating. There are so many different ways to do it...I always say everyone should experiment and play a ton of pool!

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Makes sense to me. Yes, finding a way to orient yourself on each shot is great. I'll be honest. Sometimes I get down on a full ball hit on most shots...and then PIVOT my cue while in stance to adjust for the needed cut. Does that make sense? It works pretty good. It's all fascinating. There are so many different ways to do it...I always say everyone should experiment and play a ton of pool!

As important and often overlooked--how you stand before you get down to the shot must likewise be consistent.

When I walk toward a destination, my head and eyes are level and my nose/body center line is "on target". But in their rush to shoot the next shot, many players eye the shot with a foot forward instead of both feet together, their head cocked and their alignment off, so that they don't see the shot crisply/accurately before assuming the stance.

Most pros eye shots with a foot forward, but amateurs would do better to stand feet together on the full line (or cb to ob edge line as suggested) and then move to where they think they saw the target spot from above.

And as you wrote, you can get down on the full line as a handy reference aid for a repeating stance, than pivot (or even practice stroke on the full line then divert on the final stroke to cut the ball in).

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Nice graphic Matt_24...

image.jpeg

I always look at the 1/2 ball hit to see if the angle is more, or less, than 30 degrees.

If I aim at the blue square (as in your graphic) I know the OB will travel 30 degrees.
If I aim at the black dot as in your graphic I know my object ball travels 15 degrees,
& travels 7 1/2 degrees aimed 1/2 way inside the dot & 22 between the dot & edge.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the JR "equal angle opposites" method on short shots where the cue will bridge both balls. It's very precise and all but eliminates user error that ghost ball and other techniques have built in. Longer shots require more time for the image to settle in but other contact systems can help to zero in the shot. For instance if you draw a vertical line through the contact point in the image below (or above), you have two reciprocal sections which can be spotted from anywhere. Simply shoot parallel.

Nice graphic Matt_24...
attachment.php

View attachment 536703

There are other contact/geometric sighting systems I find accurate, the most valuable of which I found here when CueTable was still in use. I haven't been able to locate the original posts - probably buried by commercial concerns - but it involved using the stick to sight the contact point from the mid point of the shot. (middle of the line between cue and object ball centers) and then rolling the stick parallel until it crosses the vertical axis of the cueball. This one works like carpentry.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I use the JR "equal angle opposites" method on short shots where the cue will bridge both balls. It's very precise and all but eliminates user error that ghost ball and other techniques have built in. Longer shots require more time for the image to settle in but other contact systems can help to zero in the shot. For instance if you draw a vertical line through the contact point in the image below (or above), you have two reciprocal sections which can be spotted from anywhere. Simply shoot parallel.

There are other contact/geometric sighting systems I find accurate, the most valuable of which I found here when CueTable was still in use. I haven't been able to locate the original posts - probably buried by commercial concerns - but it involved using the stick to sight the contact point from the mid point of the shot. (middle of the line between cue and object ball centers) and then rolling the stick parallel until it crosses the vertical axis of the cueball. This one works like carpentry.

Probably the only geometrically correct aiming system.
Marvin Chin wrote a book about it.
Dechaine says he uses that system but imagines vertical lines.
Overlap systems are essentially the same system.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member

Tried this method out on the table and it works quite well. Thanks for the info and a new tool in the toolbox. Have a 'greenie'.

I use a similar technique for shots when the balls are less than 6" apart. I aim thru center ob to the pocket and parallel shift to center cb to find a cp on it's circumference. Aiming this cp at the midpoint between the balls makes the shot. I find it easier than strict cp2cp at close distances. It's the 'inverse' of the technique you describe.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...using the stick to sight the contact point from the mid point of the shot. (middle of the line between cue and object ball centers)
can you elaborate on this. i am trying to visualize, but i am missing something...
If the above is what you're asking about, I think he's talking about this:

Draw a line between the CB and OB centers (like a straight shot), and another line crossing it exactly halfway between the balls. If you know where the OB contact point is and pivot the crossing line to point at it, the other end of the crossing line will point at the corresponding CB contact point and the line will be angled in the exact direction you have to shoot the CB to bring them together.

This is one of the "geometrically correct" visualization methods, a relative of other methods like "double offset" and "equal opposite". Of course, you have to practice and develop a "feel" for even geometrically correct methods.

pj
chgo

crossing line small.jpg

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Notice you not only have JR's Equal Angle Opposites but the contact line intersects the ball to ball line dead center.

Nice rendering too.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried this method out on the table and it works quite well. Thanks for the info and a new tool in the toolbox. Have a 'greenie'.

I use a similar technique for shots when the balls are less than 6" apart. I aim thru center ob to the pocket and parallel shift to center cb to find a cp on it's circumference. Aiming this cp at the midpoint between the balls makes the shot. I find it easier than strict cp2cp at close distances. It's the 'inverse' of the technique you describe.

Cool. The thing I like about this genre of aiming is once you have the details of stance and stroke worked out, the shots tend to go just about where you aim 'em. Cheating the pocket for instance becomes a matter of selecting that particular line. Still risky but so much more reliable than just guesstimating.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If the above is what you're asking about, I think he's talking about this:

Draw a line between the CB and OB centers (like a straight shot), and another line crossing it exactly halfway between the balls. If you know where the OB contact point is and pivot the crossing line to point at it, the other end of the crossing line will point at the corresponding CB contact point and the line will be angled in the exact direction you have to shoot the CB to bring them together.

This is one of the "geometrically correct" visualization methods, a relative of other methods like "double offset" and "equal opposite". Of course, you have to practice and develop a "feel" for even geometrically correct methods.

pj
chgo

View attachment 539544
It's official. You are an aiming system junky .

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
My aiming system can be described in 6 words: see where your cue is pointed.

pj
chgo

Works great. And when using english you can use the same system, only it takes a while before you recognize where your cue is pointed in relation to the shot if you were using no english.

I played a little challenge race to 5 with James Aranas last night (Dodong Diamond). They stopped by on their way to the derby. Anyway, he uses quite a bit of spin and finesse on almost every shot. His cue is seldom pointed to where the cb is going to end up.

Who won? Exactly who was supposed to win. lol. I got out the 1st rack, but made 3 mistakes in the next few games -- rattled a bridge shot on the 2 in one game, missed the 1 in another game, messed up a safety opportunity on the 1 in another game. He ran out everytime. An easy 5-1 for him. It was all caught on Roy's Basement live stream. Thanks Roy.

A funny thing....I was a substitute player for an 8ball league last night. It was my turn to play, but James had just broke dry. I asked the guy I was supposed to play 8ball with if he minded me finishing up my 9ball set first. He said it'd be fine, of course, as most everyone in the place was enjoying watching this super pro player. So James broke, then I rushed in and missed the 1 ball! While he was running out on me, I broke and ran my game of 8ball for the league. I finished up just before James sank the 9, and then I watched him snap off another couple of racks.

It's not very often that such a great player comes through town. It was a very humbling experience. He's a fantastic player, a quiet and friendly guy too. Thumbs up to Roy's Basement (Ariel Roy Francisco) for stopping by. They are good people.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backhand english works for the majority of stuff. Of course learning the full range of ball control is not such a simple proposition. People like DD get amazing results because they do the perspiration part.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like many of you I've played pool all of my life.

I was blessed with above average hand-eye coordination.

I took lessons from Jimmy Reid many years ago (if you're not familiar with Jimmy, he was a stone cold champion - 1985 US OPEN 9 Ball Champion, World 8 Ball Champion, etc, etc...).

Jimmy taught me the fundamentals needed to be a good shot maker. These aren't any secret...but at the time he showed these to me as a kid they were life changing.

1. Your stance should always be well balanced regardless of the shot. If you're balanced, after your tip makes contact with the cue ball you should be able to freeze completely in place (head/arm/stance/all) UNTIL the cue ball stops rolling. When you can do this consistently you will play way, way, better. And when you miss, you'll KNOW why you missed (overcut, undercut, etc).

Aiming is perception so everyone will ultimately develop or fine-tune their own methods (despite the various, wonderful techniques that can help you get started...I advocate trying them all), but if they can't stay still or get in-line...they'll never REALLY know why they miss or make a ball.

Here is how I aim. It's really basic, but it works.

1. I find the line between the cue ball and a 100% full hit on the object ball (regardless of where the object ball is in relation to the pocket). I need to see that full hit first.

2. Then I look at the object ball in relation to the pocket.

3. Looking at these two perceptions helps me find the contact point. I always had a tendency to overcut everything and when I figured this out, it really helped.

4. Shoot with good fundamentals and if you miss, your brain will interpret why and should kind of automatically adjust as you progress in your game for that day. You should get these adjustments out of the way during practice and before competition each day.

I hope this might help someone.

I would also add.....after you've determined where the cb needs to go in order to pocket the ob (whatever method you choose to use), focus on where your aim line is headed in reference to the ob itself. These two diagrams illustrate the difference between making aiming complicated and making it simple. By seeing/focusing on simple circles, simple spatial recognition, the ability to just recognize shots as soon as you see them becomes much easier.

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited: