A team of Professional Women v Amateur Men - who wins?

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
If a team of 4 amateur male players (BCA advanced and masters only) played a team of 4 professional women in a Mosconi style format (for the sake of arguments lets say the top 4 in the current rankings) who do you think would win, or is it too close to call?

I don't have a strong opinion but I am curious to hear the opinion of the forum.

Cheers

Hooper840

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played sports my whole life, and a lot of time a males size and strength advantage would put them over the top.

Pool is a bit different, Corey Deuel has shown you don't need power to break effectively, so that rules out strength (not his his full break speed, but the way he utilizes the soft break many times). I don't see why any woman could not compete with any male in a pool game.

Bassmaster

Gone Fishin
Silver Member
Ga young kim Allison,karen, Jasmine 2105 top women pros vs
kenneth Brisborn, Jeff abernathy, (top 2 2014 APA amatures) and 2 other top amatures I think the women would win easily.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make that BCA Grand masters, and I'd think the guys would win.

What are the requirements to be tagged a BCA Grandmaster? I saw a BCA grandmasters tournament that had Rafael Martinez and Gabe Owen in it. :eek:

To the OP, I think it depends on which female pros and which amateur males you were to put against each other.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
What are the requirements to be tagged a BCA Grandmaster? I saw a BCA grandmasters tournament that had Rafael Martinez and Gabe Owen in it. :eek:

To the OP, I think it depends on which female pros and which amateur males you were to put against each other.

You're right. There lies the problem with this...NO ORG. No rankings.
If the men weren't pros, a team like Amit, 2 from Taiwan, and one from China could get the job done for the women. Johnnyt

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
If you limit the men's team to just master level players and below, a team of 4 top 10 women would probably win most of the time (it gets closer the lower ranked the female players are), but if you don't limit it to masters players, there are plenty of amateur men out there that could crush a team of 4 Ga Young Kims or whoever the top female is right now.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You mean four league players against four professional women pool players?
God Lord, man. That would be like our neighborhood middle school boys basketball team playing the Uconn Lady Huskies.

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
I mean the words amateur and pro are misleading. I mean if I had to pick the strongest women's pro team it would be Ga-Young Kim, Chen Siming, Lui Sha Sha, and Jasmine Ouschan. I mean that's a super strong women's line up. But...

Are they even a favorite against these so called male "amateurs" , Brian Parks, Jason Kirkwood, Adam Kielar, and Alex Olinger?

And those are just guys with verifiable amateur status bc they play in pool leagues. APA and NAPA.

I mean someone just said Rafael Martinez, Gabe Owen are amateurs bc they play BCA Grandmaster League? Could you imagine them paired with other "amateurs" like Joey Dupuis.

I mean don't get me wrong I think the women pros are great but there's no clear cut line that divides male Amateur from Pro. A former US open champion c'mon!

Even fielding a squad with Allison and Kelly Fisher with Karen Corr and Jasmine Ouschan wouldn't like it playing even with these guys.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Bar box eight ball, the guys for sure, big table tight pockets the gals, but it would have to be the top thirty two.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Remember op stated mosconi cup format.

Short races alt break is the great equalizer.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies so far everyone, what I'm reading from the responses are that the general opinion is mixed, it certainly isn't a forgone conclusion.

If it helps I was thinking 9ft tables and probably 10 ball.

I wouldn't class Gabe a master, I think the Grand Masters allowed pros to enter, but the masters was slightly lower?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a team of 4 amateur male players (BCA advanced and masters only) played a team of 4 professional women in a Mosconi style format (for the sake of arguments lets say the top 4 in the current rankings) who do you think would win, or is it too close to call?

I don't have a strong opinion but I am curious to hear the opinion of the forum.

Cheers

If top 4 US women, a good non-pro male would win at least 50%.

If top 4 World, the women would win more than half.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for the record, I was in no way saying that Gabe or Rafael could be classified as amateurs. They're both champion players, or were at least. I was really asking how the heck they were allowed to play in a BCA tournament, regardless of the division.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top female pros are all grand master level players, so if you're limiting the male team to advanced and master players, the women are going to be the favorite by a wide margin. However, there are a lot of grand master level male players that don't play pool for a living; if you put a team of them together, they would be able to hang with the women. That team would also be able to hang with a lot of the male pros, just not the elite.

Basically, the top female professionals are good enough to compete with a lot of the male professionals, just not the top ones, but I can say the same about the top male amateurs. There is just a much bigger pool of male players to draw from, so the skill level of the women drops off pretty quickly compared to the men. The life of a professional, or even shortstop, pool player just doesn't seem to attract that many women.