Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Snooker
Reload this Page Snooker on a 9' Gold Crown
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Imotv8u
AzB Silver Member
Imotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond reputeImotv8u has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-09-2019, 09:47 PM

I would love to have that 12 foot table in that pic! Those old tables play great Iím sure. We had two 10 footers in my local pool hall until it shut down.

Rod

Last edited by Imotv8u; 06-09-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Old
  (#17)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
... Do you have any advice on the baulk line location?
The baulk line is in the wrong place on a snooker table, of course. I suppose you should just scale it. You don't need to mark the whole baulk line, just the D, unless you are also going to play English billiards.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#18)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The baulk line is in the wrong place on a snooker table, of course. I suppose you should just scale it. You don't need to mark the whole baulk line, just the D, unless you are also going to play English billiards.
The source I found places the baulk line at 1/5 the playing surface from the rail, so 20" for mine, while the head spot is at 25".

First Trial
Old
  (#19)
jviss
AzB Silver Member
jviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond reputejviss has a reputation beyond repute

First Trial - 06-10-2019, 02:54 PM

Thanks to all, for all the kind comments so far.

I received the balls today, and marked the table, first trial of a marking scheme.

I made the baulk line at 1/5 the length, and the radius of the D 1/6 the width. The Spot is 1/11 the length from the foot rail. The Pyramid Spot (pink) is at the regular pool foot spot, and the head red ball spot is 1 1/2", center to center, behind it. The blue spot is at table center, of course.

Here are some pics:

Feedback welcome!

Old
  (#20)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

06-10-2019, 08:16 PM

Looks nice. Did you make a template for the D?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#21)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-11-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Looks nice. Did you make a template for the D?
Thank you. No, I used a piece of string with a loop on the end to make the arc. Several practice strokes before I applied the pressure.

Old
  (#22)
MitchDAZB
AzB Silver Member
MitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond reputeMitchDAZB has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 07:10 AM

Looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Old
  (#23)
Ralph Kramden
BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Ralph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond reputeRalph Kramden has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2019, 01:39 PM

Nice table jviss... Because of the tight distance between the black and the 15 reds on a 9' I usually play using 6 reds.
All colors are placed close to what you show in the pictures but the bottom 9 reds are removed from the racked balls.

Edit: Click the GAMES link in my signature below, then hit the SIX REDS link. Play for 75 points instead of 147 points.

GAMES... http://sites.google.com/site/poolandbilliard

Recognize a 1/2 ball 30 degree cut, and the 1/8 ball angles.
Paralysis by aiming analysis happens by thinking too much.

To play at top speed.. You must own the stop shot line.

Last edited by Ralph Kramden; 06-13-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Old
  (#24)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-14-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDAZB View Post
Looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy!
Thank you!

Old
  (#25)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Kramden View Post
Nice table jviss... Because of the tight distance between the black and the 15 reds on a 9' I usually play using 6 reds.
All colors are placed close to what you show in the pictures but the bottom 9 reds are removed from the racked balls.

Edit: Click the GAMES link in my signature below, then hit the SIX REDS link. Play for 75 points instead of 147 points.

Thanks RK. I was thinking of trying 10 reds, which I had heard of elsewhere. Six might work, too.

Old
  (#26)
LightsOut
Jason
LightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond reputeLightsOut has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Be careful- you might have so much fun playing that you sell the GC and get an actual snooker table (I did!).

I started playing snooker on my pool table just like this, even had grey cloth like yours! 15 reds is challenging and very congested. 10 reds is a bit better.

I almost made a 147 with fifteen reds but missed the brown . Hereís a vid of a practice session with 10 reds:
https://youtu.be/yeTG_EQNa2I

Have fun!!

PS in my experience this is not a good approximation of playing snooker on a real snooker table, but it is still enjoyable for sure!

- Jason

Last edited by LightsOut; 06-17-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Old
  (#27)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-17-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightsOut View Post
Be careful- you might have so much fun playing that you sell the GC and get an actual snooker table (I did!).

I started playing snooker on my pool table just like this, even had grey cloth like yours! 15 reds is challenging and very congested. 10 reds is a bit better.

I almost made a 147 with fifteen reds but missed the brown . Hereís a vid of a practice session with 10 reds:
https://youtu.be/yeTG_EQNa2I

Have fun!!

PS in my experience this is not a good approximation of playing snooker on a real snooker table, but it is still enjoyable for sure!
Yes! We had a wonderful time Sunday, with a father's day brunch and two of my four adult kids in company. We played eight ball for a while, and then I refereed a snooker game between my kids. My daughter said she enjoyed snooker more than 'pool!' We played with the fifteen reds, as shown in my pics, above. It was fun.

I will try the ten reds, then the six, to see how it goes.

Old
  (#28)
HomeBrewer
AzB Silver Member
HomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond reputeHomeBrewer has a reputation beyond repute

06-21-2019, 02:27 PM

Bob mentioned the possibility of playing English Billiards and if you haven't thought of playing it, you really should.

It's a game that's a total blast and just like playing snooker on a pool table, playing EB on a pool table will yield more points and possibly more immediate enjoyment among all types of players (especially the ones who don't like going a while without scoring).

Old
  (#29)
jviss
AzB Silver Member

06-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
Bob mentioned the possibility of playing English Billiards and if you haven't thought of playing it, you really should.

It's a game that's a total blast and just like playing snooker on a pool table, playing EB on a pool table will yield more points and possibly more immediate enjoyment among all types of players (especially the ones who don't like going a while without scoring).
I have no idea about English Billiards, but I will take a look. Do I already have all the equipment I will need?

Old
  (#30)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

06-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss View Post
I have no idea about English Billiards, but I will take a look. Do I already have all the equipment I will need?
It is often played with a white and a yellow (cue balls) and one red. A "proper" old-fashioned set has two white cue balls, one of them marked with spots. Currently the standard seems to be the same design as carom balls (white and yellow balls with spots).

Here is an excellent match with Clive Everton as the commentator. Clive is the greatest living author on the subjects of snooker and English billiards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAkDn28dy7E

The video has a lot of rules situations and Clive explains them. Until you get to where you routinely make 100-point breaks, the restrictions on scoring patterns can be ignored. There is a break of over 400 points in the match.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 06-21-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: