Back to Manila

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tomorrow I leave again for Manila. But this time there is no tournament or job that beckons me. It is because of my daughter that I'm going. Jalo is nine months old now, and it's come to my attention in the last few months, that she has not been as well cared for as I would like. Three weeks ago she nearly died from Bronchial Pneumonia. If she didn't have a parent (me) who could pay the hefty hospital bills she would not have received the care she did. Many other filipino babies might have perished in similar circumstances.

For me this trip is the start for making arrangements to bring her to the USA. My goal is to get her a US passport. I'm not sure how difficult that is going to be. One thing I do know is that I can't accomplish much over here. I have to go there to get something done. So that is what this trip is about. I love my little miracle child and I want the best for her. I could not live with myself if something happened to her and I wasn't there for her.

I hesitated until the last minute to write about this, although a few of you already know because I told you about the problems I was having. I'm not sure why I'm posting now other than to ask for your support, and if anyone who lives over there can help me I'm all ears. I just want to take care of Jalo. She is a helpless child who can't take care of herself. I owe her that much at least.

If all goes well, maybe I can hit a few poolrooms at night. Nothing would make me happier than to go to One Side in a celebratory mood. Right now my focus is somewhere else though. Pool will have to be on the back burner this trip. I do appreciate all the support I get from my AZ family. :smiling-heart:

Last edited:

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Be safe, Jay. Tickle the little bugger for us, and make her smile. Hope the whole immigration thing goes well.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Tomorrow I leave again for Manila. But this time there is no tournament or job that beckons me. It is because of my daughter that I'm going. Jalo is nine months old now, and it's come to my attention in the last few months, that she has not been as well cared for as I would like. Three weeks ago she nearly died from Bronchial Pneumonia. If she didn't have a parent (me) who could pay the hefty hospital bills she would not have received the care she did. Many other filipino babies might have perished in similar circumstances.

For me this trip is the start for making arrangements to bring her to the USA. My goal is to get her a US passport. I'm not sure how difficult that is going to be. One thing I do know is that I can't accomplish much over here. I have to go there to get something done. So that is what this trip is about. I love my little miracle child and I want the best for her. I could not live with myself if something happened to her and I wasn't there for her.

I hesitated until the last minute to write about this, although a few of you already know because I told you about the problems I was having. I'm not sure why I'm posting now other than to ask for your support and if anyone who lives over there can help me I'm all ears. I just want to take care of Jalo. She is a helpless child who can't take care of herself. I owe her that much at least.

If all goes well, maybe I can hit a few poolrooms at night. Nothing would make me happier than to go to One Side in a celebratory mood. Right now my focus is somewhere else though. Pool will have to be on the back burner this trip. I appreciate all the support I get from my AZ family. :smiling-heart:

All you are going to need is a copy of her birth certificate stating that you are the father, then you go to the US Embassy. Now leaving the country with her is another story, but that should not be an issue if no one else contests you bringing her to the USA. I had a similar situation, my daughter was born in South Korea, and she was not Born in US Hospital facility because she came early. My wife and I had to go through some paper work at the US Embassy, but all in all it was not that difficult. By the way, only one parent has to be a US Citizen when the child is born, that alone gives the child status a US Citizen.

Hope this helps, god's speed and good luck.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All you are going to need is a copy of her birth certificate stating that you are the father, then you go to the US Embassy. Now leaving the country with her is another story, but that should not be an issue if no one else contests you bringing her to the USA. I had a similar situation, my daughter was born in South Korea, and she was not Born in US Hospital facility because she came early. My wife and I had to go through some paper work at the US Embassy, but all in all it was not that difficult. By the way, only one parent has to be a US Citizen when the child is born, that alone gives the child status a US Citizen.

Hope this helps, god's speed and good luck.

Thank you so much!

I have the original birth certificate, with me listed on it. It is registered with the Pasay City government as well. I also have all the paperwork from the U.S. Embassy to apply for her passport. And lots of other documents proving that I am the father. They actually want to check my passport to make sure I was in Manila nine months before Jalo was born.

I still need to get some passport photos taken and then stand in line at the Embassy. I pray all goes well. In Manila nothing is ever cut and dried. You always have to sweat it out. I'll camp out at the Embassy every day if that's what it takes.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member

I hesitated until the last minute to write about this, although a few of you already know because I told you about the problems I was having. I'm not sure why I'm posting now other than to ask for your support, and if anyone who lives over there can help me I'm all ears. I just want to take care of Jalo. She is a helpless child who can't take care of herself. I owe her that much at least.

If all goes well, maybe I can hit a few poolrooms at night. Nothing would make me happier than to go to One Side in a celebratory mood. Right now my focus is somewhere else though. Pool will have to be on the back burner this trip. I do appreciate all the support I get from my AZ family. :smiling-heart:

Jay,
I hope all goes well for you. I don't know the situation you're dealing with but I married a Filipina who had twin daughters that she left with her parents in Cagayan De Oro. I know that bringing them over at a later date was going to be quite a bit more difficult than I'd ever imagined. And most of it needed to be done from this end. You should talk to a good immigrations attorney who specializes in the Philippines. There's a good one in LA, (a Filipino who has offices in the US and Manila) can't remember his name right now but Jose once recommended him to me. PM or call me if you want. I've been through some of this myself and may be able to point you to some help.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay,
I hope all goes well for you. I don't know the situation you're dealing with but I married a Filipina who had twin daughters that she left with her parents in Cagayan De Oro. I know that bringing them over at a later date was going to be quite a bit more difficult than I'd ever imagined. And most of it needed to be done from this end. You should talk to a good immigrations attorney who specializes in the Philippines. There's a good one in LA, (a Filipino who has offices in the US and Manila) can't remember his name right now but Jose once recommended him to me. PM or call me if you want. I've been through some of this myself and may be able to point you to some help.

Thanks Sherm. This case is slightly different in that Jalo should be an American citizen. If I can get her passport I feel like I'll be home free. Let's wait and see what happens this trip.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Good luck Jay! Please keep us informed. Best wishes to Jalo - I can't imagine.

Chris

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good luck with this Jay. I am living in Angeles now, if you need any help or advice I can probably put you in touch with a few people, however you seem to have it pretty well covered.

Once again good luck.
Dave Wright

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay, I saw you at the San Diego Classic and didn't have the chance to say hello. Take care of business out there. The game will still be here when you get everything wrapped up.

gwjackal

Paradigm Cue Sports
Silver Member
Good luck to you jay. I am going through a similar battle as I call it and being broke doesn't help. I wish you the best if you need any help back here once your there call and I will do what I can.

Greg

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay,

Hope everything goes well for you with this predicament. I also hope that Jalo is better now.

Have a safe trip,

Russ.....

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Jay, have a safe trip, our prayers are for your daughter on a speedy recovery and smooth processing of her papers.

Last edited: