Is NYC Going To Be The New Big Thing?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
With Earl, Shaw, and maybe SVB and the pros that already live there, do you think NYC is going to be THE new action and tournament spot in the U.S? Johnnyt

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
With Earl, Shaw, and maybe SVB and the pros that already live there, do you think NYC is going to be THE new action and tournament spot in the U.S? Johnnyt

It's not new, I've been here for like 8 years...

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
The tournament scene is doing well in Queens. Better than it has in years, and it seems to grow slowly. I'd have to say though, that action is still slow as compared to the 80's and 90's. Lots of locksmiths out there, and they all know each other. You don't even see much barking, nothing like before. 50/50 games seem to be a thing of the past. With little or no disposable income, it seems as if the economy prevents the action.

Tournaments are great, but have a way of letting everyone know their place in the pecking order. Lots of players would avoid tournaments just to be able to lay low. They'd do all they could to hide their speed, and wait for a big score to walk in. These days you don't see much of that. Less fish and a bigger tourney prize means more tournament players..

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only drawback I can think of is the high cost of living in NYC. I wonder what type of rent a guy like Earl, Mika, or Shaw has to pay to live there. Must be upwards of $2500 a month

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only drawback I can think of is the high cost of living in NYC. I wonder what type of rent a guy like Earl, Mika, or Shaw has to pay to live there. Must be upwards of $2500 a month

At the most, one of them pays rent. These guys got moves.

jockey

Banned
if you're willing to commute 1, 2 or even 3 hours, action can be had plenty.
you'll have to bed and breakfast in the outlying areas.
upstate ny, connecticut, ect,
1 hour and 20 minutes on the thruway would get you some nice affordable digs in CT.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
When I first heard of these players moving to the Big Apple, the first thought in my head was: This will be the hotbed of American pool!!!

Maniac

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tri State Area

I was under the impression that the east coast was always the pool capital of the US. Specifically the whole New York, New Jersey area. Certainly historically most of the movers and shakers in our industry were from the east cost. Look at the hall of fame:
Greenleaf - PA
Hoppe - NY
Mosconi - PA
Taberski - NY
Carras - PA
Crane - NY
Mizerak - NJ
Balsis - PA
Wanderone - NY
Balukas - NY
Buterra - PA
Ponzi- PA