Lathe Help

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Hi, I've trying to purchase a lathe in Australia before the end of the tax year (I only have 1 more day! :eek:) so would appreciate some advice from my peers.

I have read so many of the old threads but a lot of them relate to products like grizly and harbour freight that aren't easily available in Australia (or shipping is very pricey!).

I saw that jet lathes are seen as slightly better than the Chinese models but I was wondering if this one would be adequate for basic cue repair/ cleaning and tips.

https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/lathes-and-accessories/lathes/jet-midi-lathe-1-x-10-tpi (and if so what extra attachments would I need to get it up and running)

These SIEG ones are also available locally:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...the&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Regards

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I've trying to purchase a lathe in Australia before the end of the tax year (I only have 1 more day! :eek:) so would appreciate some advice from my peers.

I have read so many of the old threads but a lot of them relate to products like grizly and harbour freight that aren't easily available in Australia (or shipping is very pricey!).

I saw that jet lathes are seen as slightly better than the Chinese models but I was wondering if this one would be adequate for basic cue repair/ cleaning and tips.

https://www.carbatec.com.au/woodturning/lathes-and-accessories/lathes/jet-midi-lathe-1-x-10-tpi (and if so what extra attachments would I need to get it up and running)

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...the&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Regards
The first link does not work, but it appears it's a wood lathe from Jet?
The other link is just a Sieg search on ebay.com.au, so it's hard to say anything without knowing wich late you are looking at.
If it is a 7" x 14" you are looking at, I don't really think it matters what the logo says, they are all the same. Many Grizzly and Precission Matthews lathes are just the same as Weiss or HBM, wich I know you can get in Australia.
Remember that if you want to clean shafts (or possibly retaper or make your own shafts)
You need a lathe with enough distance between centers, that means a 36" or 40" lathe
Sieg does not make a 36" lathe, but Weiss and HBM do. It's called WM330Ax750/1000
So you can choose between two models 750mm or 1000mm center distance.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
The first link does not work, but it appears it's a wood lathe from Jet?
The other link is just a Sieg search on ebay.com.au, so it's hard to say anything without knowing wich late you are looking at.
If it is a 7" x 14" you are looking at, I don't really think it matters what the logo says, they are all the same. Many Grizzly and Precission Matthews lathes are just the same as Weiss or HBM, wich I know you can get in Australia.
Remember that if you want to clean shafts (or possibly retaper or make your own shafts)
You need a lathe with enough distance between centers, that means a 36" or 40" lathe
Sieg does not make a 36" lathe, but Weiss and HBM do. It's called WM330Ax750/1000
So you can choose between two models 750mm or 1000mm center distance.

Thanks for the reply Kim, appreciate it.

I have attached a photo of the Jet lathes, they are tagged as woodworking lathes but they are the only Jet ones I can find in Australia.

I wasn't really sure which SIEG lathe would be best so I posted the list to the ones available in Australia, I think the C1-C3 would be the price range I'd be looking at, the C6 is probably a bit overkill for me).

I was only really looking at the min lathes to start with (assume thats the 7" x 14" range you mentioned), it sounds like this will limit me to tip work only? The 36" or 40" sounds like a considerable jump in size (and cost), I read something about getting a longer bed for the mini lathes, would this then allow shaft cleaning work or is the jump too high? Thank you again!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 19.22.35.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 19.22.35.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 442

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The long bed C3 with the 20mm through bore will be ok for tips and shaft cleaning,or the slightly larger C6 lathe.You will need to make a support system at the back of the lathe with a self aligning bearing or similar. They are quite a good little lathe for the money. You can also make pins, collars, ferrules, screw cut internal or external threads as well.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Thanks guys, looks like will probably take a punt on the C3, for the price it's not too much of a risk and sounds like a decent starter lathe. Many thanks

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
if you are buying a lathe to work on cues............... those lathes won't cut it............. you will be sorry..............

Kim

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys, looks like will probably take a punt on the C3, for the price it's not too much of a risk and sounds like a decent starter lathe. Many thanks

I've got two of the H/F lathes and I couldn't imagine a repair shop without one.

Actually you can do quite a bit of repair with the smaller Sieg lathes. It would be hard to retaper a shaft on one but most other repairs can be accomplished. They do a very good job of installing tips, making and installing ferrules, cleaning and polishing shafts and I've even wrapped cues on one. You just need to be a little bit creative.

Most people on this forum hold the shaft between centers to clean and polish. This is the wrong way to accomplish this task. You can't use much speed and the vibrations will knock most everything off of your work bench. I've cleaned, polished and have taken dents out of literally thousands of shafts for the last 45 years by just using the correct pin in the chuck and the ferrule end free. When it gets down to polishing the shaft I run the lathe at 3600 rpm, The fastest my lathe will run. When first starting the lathe just hold the end of the shaft loosely between your fingers until it stabilizes.

For doing wraps I have mounted a sewing machine motor and foot controler over the chuck and run a vacuum cleaner belt between the motor and chuck for controlled power and I mounted the tailstock to the proper thickness of board so as to make it level with the chuck. When desiring to wrap a cue I merely clamp the board and tailstock in place, use an insert to protect the pin, and wrap the cue. While in the shop I use a wood lathe, set up quite similarly but holds the entire cue without any problems.

When you have problems just think it over. Seldom there will be no solution.

Dick

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards

Either could be used by someone with the knowledge to set it up properly.

As has been said, the Seig Mini Metal lathes are nearly ready 'straight out of the box'
and offer the ability to do many other jobs.

RHN gave an excellent explanation. I would only add that by using an extra bed,
available from Little Machine Shop, Harbor Freight, and other places, you can handle
work of any length you need.

Dale

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

Regards

There must be Australian retailers of metalwork equipment, search them out. Grizzly and Harbor Freight are US retailers who sell private labeled lathes. I would bet the Australian retailers would do the same. With a quick search I found this outfit : http://www.paramountbrowns.com.au/ (I know Australia is a big place but there will be outfits selling metal lathes in every major city)

Find other like this and you'll find lathes equivalent (or identical) to those sold by Grizzly and Harbor Freight.

Dave <-- almost bought a Hercus mill once

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, I don't think he wants to shell out the 5 to 6k on a lathe. Machine tools cost way more out here in NZ and Australia compared to the USA. But good quality inserts are essentially the same price.
Neil

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 7"x14" lathes are fine for tips and ferrules and you can actually buy an extension bed, so you can get the desired distance between centers.
Check out ebay, you'll find all the parts there.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Thanks guys, amazing to get such a quick response. I am only looking for a starter lathe, I don't have a huge workshop (pic attached) and I am new to cue repair although I have always been passionate about woodwork.

I was leaning towards the SIEG C3 just wanted to ensure it wasn't an absolute stinker, sounds like it will be ok as a starter lathe at least.

Attachments

• IMG_4990.jpg
    IMG_4990.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_5162.jpg
    IMG_5162.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited: