Leather pocket refurbishment

fatrascal

Registered
I am in the process of refurbishing my old Murrey table. It is over 30 years old. It has sat disassembled in a heated and air conditioned house for that time. The leather web pockets are dried and stiff but otherwise seem to be ok. Any suggestions on softening them up, If they turn out a little darker that would be ok. I just want them soft and pliable so they don't crack and split. I have time for them to soak or otherwise while I redo the
wood finish repairs before I call for the assemble, level and cloth work. Thanks for your time and suggestions - Jerry

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Well, I'm not a mechanic, but stealing a tip I read from another thread about black marks on balls from a Diamond Pro..

It was suggested to use mink oil and saddle soap on the pocket. You can always use shoe polish in the proper color to "freshen up" the color on your pockets. I believe this tip was suggested by the cobra man himself, so it would definitely be safe for the leather, and I would assume these products would reinvigorate the leather.

Somebody will definitely let me know if I am wrong, I presume.

Russ

Dartman

Silver Member
Leather dries out from loss of it's natural oil. Leather conditioners such as mink oil will absorb into the leather and help make it pliable again. Make sure to use a leather cleaner first and allow sufficient drying time before using a conditioner which should be applied in light coats.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Mink oil, Red Wing boot oil, Bear Grease (I think that's what it wascalled). There are many products. Best bet is Tandy Leather store or www.tandyleather.com